PDA

View Full Version : Brooks saddle with anatomical cutout...

sychan
04-27-2008, 09:50 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2335/2447003203_91c5594c2c.jpg?v=0

For anyone who might be interested in Brooks saddles with anatomic cutouts, they have sent out a batch of prototypes for evaluation and I managed to get on the reviewer list.

I have a few screen sized shots on Brooks vs Anatomica photoset (http://flickr.com/photos/95526590@N00/sets/72157604764198286/), and you can read reviews on this thread over on bikeforums.net. (http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=408695)

Sacha White
04-27-2008, 10:53 PM
A lot of companies have cutouts in their saddles, but no one has actually made the cutout in the shape of a penis.

Brooks has really raised the bar, so to speak.

Your_Friend!
04-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Sacha!

You Are So_Silly!

Love,
Y_F!

P.S. : I Wonder If It Is Penguin_Friendly?

Louis
04-27-2008, 11:49 PM
A lot of companies have cutouts in their saddles, but no one has actually made the cutout in the shape of a penis.

Sacha,

I'm sure you've seen those tool chests with drawers that have a sheet of foam with the shape of the tool that fits there cut out. Same thing here. Every tool has it's place...

stuckey
04-27-2008, 11:58 PM
Please post pictures of the saddle with a thousand or so miles on it. The Brooks I bought before I switched to Selle Anatomica wore uneven and would basically collapse in till the rear brace was visible through the leather... They need to work on leather quality before they go copying what Selle Anatomica was doing to there saddles before they threatened to sue them.

sychan
04-28-2008, 12:18 AM

Brooks has really raised the bar, so to speak.

Good thing I didn't post the photo of the underside of the saddle...

Sacha White
04-28-2008, 12:57 AM
Good thing I didn't post the photo of the underside of the saddle...

I am guessing it is either 1) pierced down toward the base, 2) there is an artificial hair transplant, or 3) they airbrushed a facade under there (the kind you find at a carnival, where you put your face through the hole and it looks like your face on someone else's body)...

Cheeky Brits...

rustychisel
04-28-2008, 05:12 AM
Well, they've already got a model named the Swallow...

would they dare name this the 'Cock Up'?

palincss
04-28-2008, 06:58 AM
Well, they've already got a model named the Swallow...

would they dare name this the 'Cock Up'?

Surely this (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/217400.html) is what you mean...

:rolleyes:

Too Tall
04-28-2008, 07:21 AM
Thanks much for the pics. and post. What might be the outcome if you were to ride one of these saddles for more than a few hrs.?

Ennis
04-28-2008, 07:26 AM
I put one a these on my serotta after cuttin out a 3" x 12" channel, and it works real good.

Michael Maddox
04-28-2008, 07:27 AM
I have a prototype, too.

Just so you know, Brooks isn't copying Selle Anatomica. Turns out they have a patent on the technique that was filed in 1896 or so. Yep, over 100 years ago. They have provided the proof, which can be seen in the aforementioned threads.

My thoughts on the saddle so far:

1. I was concerned about sag. The Selle Anatomica sags like a hammock, something I can't abide whatsoever. In case of the Brooks, weakening the saddle with the cut-out was counteracted somewhat by factory lacing--lacing just like we used to do "back in the day"--that crosses the between the skirting beneath the saddle.

2. The cut-out is scored on the underside of the saddle in a manner that is supposed to allow the edges of the cut-out to give inward, thus preventing edge-contact between the saddle and your goodies. I'm concerned that this is going to cause sag and splits in the leather over time.

3. The factory lacing really interferes with certain seatpost clamps, such as the Thomson. In order to install the saddle, you have to unlace and re-lace in a different pattern while the saddle is on the post.

4. It's essentially a B17. It has a flat nose-to-tail profile, which works well for me. In my case, it's replacing (at least temporarily) a Swallow. I only ride Swallows and Swifts.

5. I haven't had problems with undercarriage numbness since I figured out saddle height and positioning. Thus, this saddle really hasn't served me any better than my other Brooks saddles. Your mileage may vary.

Overall, it's obviously a saddle created with care, a good solution to a problem that many have. I've found, however, that proper positioning can solve much of the saddle issue, at least for those willing to experiment. I think this saddle may be a worthwhile purchase for those interested in such a thing, though it remains to be seen how the saddle will hold up in the long term. I have 300 miles on mine, and have been generally happy.

If you really want photos, I'll post some, but how interesting could this really be? It's a B17 with a hole and laces.

catulle
04-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Such dirty minds. That crack just spares you the need to stop and have to fiddle with your shorts to relieve yourself. The saddle comes with an instruction manual. Special shorts are optional. Girls don't need the special shorts.