PDA

View Full Version : DA 7810 pedals - bearing question

tbushnel
04-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Not really a technical question, just wondered how smooth they are. I have a pair of DA look compatible pedals that I like, but they spin so freely that it is sometime hard to clip in at lights and such, cause I'm chasing a spinning pedal. Yeah, I know "get more skills" - I am looking for an easier way.

I have found that the Time pedals that I used to use were nice in that they did not spin so freely.

any insights helpful.
ted.

SoCalSteve
04-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Shimano got it right with the 7810. Great pedal system. You wont be disappointed.

Give em' a whirl.

Good luck,

Steve

tbushnel
04-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Does that mean that the pedal don't endlessly twirl if you happen to hit the front with the cleat, but miss the "catch" so to speak?
ted.

SoCalSteve
04-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Does that mean that the pedal don't endlessly twirl if you happen to hit the front with the cleat, but miss the "catch" so to speak?
ted.

Yes, not endlessly.

I found them very easy to clip into without having to look down. I was skeptical coming from Speedplay...But, I was assured by Forum members that I wouldnt have issues, I didnt.

Good luck!

Steve

PS: The 7800's seem to be the same bearing wise as the 7810's.

tbushnel
04-28-2008, 02:23 PM
thanks Steve - just what I was hoping to hear. :cool:
ted.

04-28-2008, 03:35 PM
It's not about how smoothly they spin (or don't). You don't want to sacrifice smooth spin on your pedals. What you need is a pedal that's balanced such that the rear of the pedal always drops downwards (so if you spin the cranks, the back of the pedal is always hanging at the bottom). That's how the 7810 Dura Ace pedals work. It means that even if your crankarms are spinning, you bring your foot up to the pedal from the rear and it'll always engage the clip side of the pedal. That's what you want, right? Some early pedals didn't really think about balancing the pedal like that, simply because old toe clip pedals always called for you to flip the pedal over with your foot on the fly so you could stick your foot into the clip -- you already had the skills honed to flip a clipless pedal and it didn't occur to anyone for a while to make it work better.