PDA

View Full Version : Merckx EXM

Jack Brunk
04-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Opinons? I'm thinking. Jerkman says it's a top notch frame and I usally always listen to him.

capybaras
04-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Merckx was a good rider. Maybe he knows bikes.

cowgirl
04-27-2008, 07:56 PM
get it -- its a wilder ride than Roman or King, and that's saying something

capybaras
04-27-2008, 07:57 PM
get it -- its a wilder ride than Roman or King, and that's saying something

pm sent

Fixed
04-27-2008, 08:02 PM
http://www.wrenchscience.com/Eddy+Merckx/EXM/Road_Bikes/Frames.html

cheers

Lifelover
04-27-2008, 09:17 PM
I thought you were going to take a break from carbon for a while?

I look forward to hearing the ride review if you decide to get it.

Jack Brunk
04-27-2008, 09:24 PM
I thought you were going to take a break from carbon for a while?

I look forward to hearing the ride review if you decide to get it.
I think it been a while although I had a coffin type weekend on the IF 953 and it just plain gets it done. It's the new Ti for sure.

TMB
04-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Opinons? I'm thinking. Jerkman says it's a top notch frame and I usally always listen to him.

The guy whose name is on the down tube rides one, so does his son.

That should say something.

M.Sommers
04-27-2008, 09:50 PM
I think one buys the EXM cause it says 'EDDY' on it.

It's all about Eddy.

Buy it.

:beer:

AgilisMerlin
04-27-2008, 10:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8enWNhW3D4E :D

it is good to be the king.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOmjF_ZtoC8

zmudshark
04-27-2008, 10:16 PM
The guy whose name is on the down tube rides one, so does his son.

That should say something.I'm surprised toomany got a chance to read the frame decals as they whizzed by :banana:

Jack Brunk
04-27-2008, 10:21 PM
I was going to try Sram Red but forget it. Campy all the way! I think Eddy would approve Campy over Sram.

TMB
04-27-2008, 10:29 PM
I'm surprised toomany got a chance to read the frame decals as they whizzed by :banana:

Its usually Eddy that goes whizzing by.

Axel will actually ride along for a while.

Eddy is fast.

M.Sommers
04-27-2008, 10:31 PM
I was going to try Sram Red but forget it. Campy all the way! I think Eddy would approve Campy over Sram.

I channelled my Faema Corsa...and...yes, Eddy prefers Campy. He'll sell what makes the most profit for his company, but his heart says, "I like dah Campy much better, yes."

Simon Q
04-28-2008, 04:32 AM
I had a Team SC in Lotto Domo livery and it rocked - so comfy for an alu frame and handled superbly. Merckx geo is spot on IMHO. My customs have silmilar relativities. It was stolen and I thought long and hard about going for another before entering the wonderful world of Ti. Still look at them with serious intent - just something about them.

At the risk of being self indulgent, I had a starstruck moment meeting Eddy. We had a very quick chat over a Leffe at a function held in his honour at the - wait for it - Belgian Beer Café when he was in Melbourne Oct 2006. Very down to earth and asked a couple of questions about how much I rode and who my fave current riders were. I mentioned Valverde and he agreed, liked the way Valverde rides and was a big fan of the scene in Aus (well, I geuss he would say that when in town) and that was about it. I was struck at how you wouldn't have a clue he was only the best ever.

I will own another Merckx at some point.

1centaur
04-28-2008, 05:17 AM
Looks like the same construction as my AXM but with different geometry choices, a TT more in your size and the sloping TT. As such, I would expect it to be very solid feeling compared to any CF bikes you've owned, built to take torque without flexing but also comfortable - never harsh. That Ti mesh makes it an interestingly unique specimen and worthy of an experiment; the monocoque feeling makes you believe Chris Boardman as to its superiority. I view my AXM as a bike to take out when I want to ride long, strong and hard, pretty much the way one imagines Eddy rides all the time.

Climb01742
04-28-2008, 05:31 AM
jack, are you looking at the EXM or AXM? you're a top-of-the-line guy and the AXM is eddy's top. just curious.

1centaur, now that you've had your AXM for awhile, any updates to your initial ride impressions? any sense that the ti-mesh is useful or just gimmicky?

soulspinner
04-28-2008, 06:34 AM
Jack, get out the Jerk approved stem, the seat angle is a whole degree slacker on the Merckx.

Jack Brunk
04-28-2008, 11:16 AM
jack, are you looking at the EXM or AXM? you're a top-of-the-line guy and the AXM is eddy's top. just curious.

1centaur, now that you've had your AXM for awhile, any updates to your initial ride impressions? any sense that the ti-mesh is useful or just gimmicky?
Jerkman says that the AXM would probably be too stiff for me. I also think as 1centaur stated that the EXM geo choices are better.

Jack Brunk
04-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Looks like the same construction as my AXM but with different geometry choices, a TT more in your size and the sloping TT. As such, I would expect it to be very solid feeling compared to any CF bikes you've owned, built to take torque without flexing but also comfortable - never harsh. That Ti mesh makes it an interestingly unique specimen and worthy of an experiment; the monocoque feeling makes you believe Chris Boardman as to its superiority. I view my AXM as a bike to take out when I want to ride long, strong and hard, pretty much the way one imagines Eddy rides all the time.
Thanks for the insight. I think you've help me with my decision.

J.Greene
04-28-2008, 11:38 AM

At the very least i do.

JG

coloclimber
04-28-2008, 11:58 AM
The geometry on the EXM is pretty laid back. Parrallel 72.5's and a massive HT length in my size IIRC. I test rode one thinking it would be the best fit for me. It was very very smooth- like a Cadillac (much more ride quality than a LeMond Triomphe but equally smooth). The Easton fork didnt seem very stout when sprinting but tracked well when hitting some bumps in the corners though. I decided to go with something racier but still have my eye on the Merckx.

swoop
04-28-2008, 01:27 PM
jack, it will be the best bike you've ever ridden...
:)

for 9 weeks (that's my pick in the office pool)

Fixed
04-28-2008, 01:29 PM
jack, it will be the best bike you've ever ridden...
:)

for 9 weeks (that's my pick in the office pool)
bro that is a tall order but hey it's a merckx maybe
cheers

Fixed
so sorry this is hard riding
cheers

Fixed
cheers

swoop
04-28-2008, 01:32 PM
one more time and beetlejuice appears.

*work with me butch. i'm riffing on that thing we all do with new bikes. "this is the best bike ever".

SoCalSteve
04-28-2008, 02:20 PM
one more time and beetlejuice appears.

*work with me butch. i'm riffing on that thing we all do with new bikes. "this is the best bike ever".

I got it...(maybe it's an "LA" thing)...

Just sayin'

Steve

Big Dan
04-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Eddy needs to thank Lance...

davids
04-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Thank God Jack's in the market again. I've been so bored!

cowgirl
04-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Thank God Jack's in the market again. I've been so bored!I could keep your attention!

Fixed
04-28-2008, 03:02 PM
I could keep your attention!
bro what kind of bike do you ride ?
cheers

swoop
04-28-2008, 03:04 PM
bro what kind of bike do you ride ?
cheers

if he answers swoop's seven elium race i will kill myself by self flagellation with a mirror, a large water bottle, a horse saddle, and an ill fitting fat guy that rides uberlight gear live on the web after the next bens' zen.

Fixed
04-28-2008, 03:14 PM
mirror, a large water bottle, a horse saddle, standard issue cowboy stuff
cheers imho

swoop
04-28-2008, 03:24 PM
cheers imho

my testosterone is bigger than my punch. i get in over my lil head sometimes.
:banana:

caryford to cops: "no, i didn't get the license. he's the only toothless guy in a campervan with combat medic stickers trying to kill cyclist currently on latigo".

cowgirl
04-28-2008, 03:25 PM
cheers imhoha ha ha! I'm not picky, but i do like a stiff bottom bracket.

Ennis
04-28-2008, 03:41 PM
ha ha ha! I'm not picky, but i do like a stiff bottom bracket.

Got enough torque for my externally butted downtube, sugar?

barry1021
04-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Some folks need a time out in a cold shower..... :crap:

1centaur
04-28-2008, 05:55 PM

No idea on the Ti mesh.

Since I only ride this bike with Carbones my impressions are a function of the combo. If I had to bet what bike is least likely ever to creak it would be my AXM. I have never thought the AXM was harsh, and I'm a guy who thinks both steel and Ti bikes are harsh - it's a great combo of stout but smooth. I don't avoid bumps on the AXM and I do on bikes that I think are harsh. To me the big issue is the weight, which is why the AXM comes in tied for 4th on my recently posted CF favs list. But looking at websites, the EXM does not weigh much different from the AXM, uses the same construction, and therefore must really only be different via slightly different angles (look at both - we're talking different degrees of slack) and whatever CoG effects one can ascribe to the sloping geometry. Still, TT length on the EXM seems way more in the Brunk wheelhouse (I know because every Brunk bike is not quite my size). The construction quality appears superb, as was the attention to detail from the factory on my custom paint job. HATE the seatpost hardware, I use jerk-supplied alternative bits.

53 fast and happy miles on my AXM yesterday, and climbed off fresh as a daisy.

bostondrunk
04-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Get it with a 55 top tube please................just forward thinkin'....

Jack Brunk
04-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Get it with a 55 top tube please................just forward thinkin'....
Drunkman it will be a 55 TT with you in mind. Jerkman told me that frame and fork weighed in at 1300 grams. That's fairly light and should build up pretty light too.

1centaur
04-29-2008, 05:01 AM
Drunkman it will be a 55 TT with you in mind. Jerkman told me that frame and fork weighed in at 1300 grams. That's fairly light and should build up pretty light too.

I'm guessing 1300 grams without fork.

bostondrunk
04-29-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm guessing 1300 grams without fork.

That would be on par with my sloping 50 'Nago EP......not as light as an R3, but who cares

SPOKE
04-29-2008, 10:34 AM
i called my enabler yesterday about getting one of the IF 953 frames and now it's no longer going to be your favorite. i'm disappointed i wanted us to have the same bike. sorta like evil twins separated at birth. i guess i'll just be satisfied with the old Exxon Graftek frame/fork that i scored on EBay on monday evening :crap:

jimcav
04-29-2008, 11:31 AM

it was a rocket, but it did ride a little harsh for my tastes. i have heard the axm is actually stiffer than the mxm up front, and yet more comfy. i'll be curious to hear how it compares to you old prince in feel.

jim

Jack Brunk
04-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Centaurman is almost right on with his weight guess. Jerkman had Gita weigh one and it came in at 1250 grams for frame only. It will still build up to a sub 15lb complete bike.