PDA

View Full Version : Arrione: I just can't quit you

Too Tall
04-27-2008, 07:43 AM
This week a second Arrione cracked in 1/2 after one season of riding. I'm trying to be circumspect, this is the price of doing business but geeez O Pete "they" are not making it easy. Toss them in the trash or walk into the LBS with my hand out? I'm 50/50 % on this.

cadence231
04-27-2008, 07:58 AM
I would break Alliantes fairly regularly and Fizik would warranty them through the LBS. I wouldn't feel bad about going in with your "hand out"...this stuff needs to last longer than it does most of the time. Mebbe Fiz will learn of a crux in the saddle design etc that needs to be addressed.

PaulE
04-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Is it the saddle shell or the rails. If it's the rails, what kind are they, carbon, Ti, or K'ium (aluminum?)?

coylifut
04-27-2008, 09:07 AM
I broke one clean off at the rails, rode directly to the nearest LBS (one I do very little business with) and the owner said "that's unacceptable." He had his wrench replace it on the spot with with a ti railed version.

Chris
04-27-2008, 09:17 AM
I have a pair of Sidi Ergo 2s . One year old, and already the lining is wearing out on the inside of each shoe. $420.00 for a pair. One year. Are you kidding me?

Too Tall
04-27-2008, 09:21 AM
The plastic shell broke clean in two middle of saddle normal to the length.
If it's that easy, I'll go back to the shop where I got both. Don't want to seem like a cheap SOB, that's all.

M.Sommers
04-27-2008, 09:28 AM
The plastic shell broke clean in two middle of saddle normal to the length.
If it's that easy, I'll go back to the shop where I got both. Don't want to seem like a cheap SOB, that's all.

Remember what vilification Handsomerob got for a cable. If you're 'cheap' (aka smart) about these Fizik saddles, you're next. Delete the thread man, while there's time!

PS. How much do you weigh?

:)

coylifut
04-27-2008, 09:49 AM
ask the shop guys, but from what I've heard Fizik has been very good about replacing these saddles. it's not a shop issue as much as it's a Fizik issue. I've found that a call in advance of simply showing up with borken parts in hand is welcome.

BTW - Fizik has (or at leas had) a program where you could try out any one of there saddles for 30 days. If you didn't like it - bring it back for a refund.

Ginger
04-27-2008, 09:50 AM
So...how far out on the ride were you when the saddle decided to become less than fully functional?

dbrk
04-27-2008, 09:51 AM
The plastic shell broke clean in two middle of saddle normal to the length....snip....

This is 'cause it's _plastic_...real saddles are made of leather.

dbr[oo]k[s makes the real ones]
not being serious, as you know, brother....just yanking a chain before I go off this morning around the lakes...riding the black Sachs with a Swallow...

Too Tall
04-27-2008, 10:19 AM
This is 'cause it's _plastic_...real saddles are made of leather.

dbr[oo]k[s makes the real ones]
not being serious, as you know, brother....just yanking a chain before I go off this morning around the lakes...riding the black Sachs with a Swallow...
I'm soooo busted ;) hehe.
Gingersnapppy - too far :rolleyes:

jkap
04-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Had an Arione crack widthwise after about a year. Sent an e-mail to Fizik with pictures showing the warranty date on the shell. Got an e-mail maybe a day or two later apologizing and asking me what I wanted as replacement. Had my "dream" color combo put together On their dime) as a replacement and all was back on the bike in about 10 days, maybe two weeks.

Haven't seen much service that's that good, but I'm with them for life now as a result.

Too Tall
04-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Had an Arione crack widthwise after about a year. Sent an e-mail to Fizik with pictures showing the warranty date on the shell. Got an e-mail maybe a day or two later apologizing and asking me what I wanted as replacement. Had my "dream" color combo put together On their dime) as a replacement and all was back on the bike in about 10 days, maybe two weeks.

Haven't seen much service that's that good, but I'm with them for life now as a result.
Nice :) I sucked it up, walked into the LBS and asked if FIZIK might do something for me. They were VERY glad to help and I walked out with two new saddles. What was my problem???? I just did not want to ask the shop to take a loss for consumables and turns out I was way off base, the mfg. replaces these for them. Cool. I'm not a leech :cool:

rustychisel
04-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Good result, well handled. I had an issue with a FiZik Pave a few years ago (it broke) and the Australian distributors went out of their way to help. Replaced saddle with updated model. I run 2 Arione now, no troubles thus far.

stevep
04-27-2008, 08:23 PM
its been a big problem for them.
i think they have responded responsibly and warranteed their design mistake.
they all break. they will replace it if you want another one.
s

swoop
04-27-2008, 08:32 PM
i love the breaking... its a new free saddle on the way all the time! buying one saddle is like getting a membership to a saddle club.

chrisroph
04-27-2008, 08:33 PM
question, why are you guys using saddles that break? I suppose my attitude is helped by the fact that i tried one and it felt like a 2x4....

cowgirl
04-27-2008, 08:38 PM
i love the breaking... its a new free saddle on the way all the time! buying one saddle is like getting a membership to a saddle club.

Swoop, so you break em and have another lined up waiting at the door? Giddyup partner! Where do I get membership to the swoop corral?

davids
04-27-2008, 08:38 PM
its been a big problem for them.
i think they have responded responsibly and warranteed their design mistake.
they all break. they will replace it if you want another one.
sSo why'd a buy a new one in March? It was only four years old. That's what I get for going to my local shop, huh?

BumbleBeeDave
04-28-2008, 06:38 AM
. . . after two seasons. Like others, I e-mailed Fizik with pics of the break and they replaced it, though it took some weeks. Mine broke between two of the slits that are cut in the saddle bed to give it the flex they advertise. I weigh 175, so it's not a Clydesdale issue . . .

BBD

Too Tall
04-28-2008, 06:59 AM
Funny you should mention that Dave. A new shop employee who seemed eager to limit shop losses offered "these saddles have a weight limit, they are ment for racing only and racing parts are not ment for heavy duty use". Gosh, I am a fat bastid afterall ;) I sort of let that roll, young guy, enthusiastic to please the shop owner and all that besides I deal with the owner not him no worries right? Ha ha as if, the young guy than puts another foot in it and says "you should look it up online, I'm sure there is a weight restriction". Ok, I did blink :rolleyes:

Maybe when I turned 50 last yr. I got a little more mellow? That kind of stuff just rolls in one ear and out the other. Weight restriction my eye.

BumbleBeeDave
04-28-2008, 07:04 AM
. . . there's any weight restriction. I have gotten mellower, too . . . I'd try to keep an open mind and consider the guy might be speaking in good faith, but just coincidentally be full of poo-poo! :rolleyes:

BBD