PDA

View Full Version : Gentleperson's, Your ride reports pls.

Too Tall
09-20-2004, 06:26 AM
Sorry for the break in routine.
Sat. - Chillin' and working on bikes. *Note to self, fire the psychotherapist and buy more bikes.
Sun. - Bobby Phillips Turkey Day Race, The promoter cancled the tandem race so I raced with the fast guys in 40+ category. Ooooh it was gory! I rode super aggressive because of lots of negative racing....guys sitting up at the front an letting breaks form..OY VE. I jumped on three breaks that should have went but did not and set tempo for my team for 1/3 of a lap when we got two guys off. Finishing lap was uhhh interesting. I moved up but the front of the line seemed to move away AT 45 mph!!! Yesh, next time I won't ride my compact cranks ok? Finally I'm feeling GREAT after a miserable few months. Ha ha, just in time to WIN the Tandem Championships next weekend erk erk erk. (sorry Dek I never got back on the BBS to see your note. Nex time dooood.)

pbbob
09-20-2004, 06:39 AM
sat. walked 11miles. no bike
sun. rode 25 in the neighborhood, walked 6 miles.

Elefantino
09-20-2004, 06:50 AM
32 miles Saturday. Regular club ride.
76 miles Sunday. Beautiful day in North Florida/South Georgia on great backroads. Two-man breakaway leaves the pack behind, doing one-mile pulls and two stops for water. We saw a bald eagle (male) on the road between Kingsland and Folkston (both Georgia), which was decidedly cool. A beautiful, majestic animal that nearly caused the puller (me) to swerve into the pulee. We finished early and were home in time for kickoff.

CNY rider
09-20-2004, 06:53 AM
What should have been a much higher mileage weekend turned out to have a slow start but ended nicely on Sunday.

My weekend started Friday as I was off for work. Unfortunately the remnants of Ivan got here and it poured all day. Absolutely torrential. Simply could not get out the door, and with the flooding we had it would have been really dangerous.

Saturday, heavy rain and fog til early afternoon. Snuck out late afternoon for a 15 miler.

Sunday, sunny with brisk northwest wind. Had my first truly scary moment on my new Legend. Was riding downhill (north to south). Last I looked I was at 43 mph and still accelerating. The bottom of this hill is a sweeping curve right. The long downhill I had been on was protected by a hillside and heavy forest. As I turned right, the terrain opened and I got walloped by a good 25 mph gust from front right. It felt like standing in the ocean where the waves break.......first a solid slam, then incredible turbulence. The bike really shuddered and swayed, but since I'm here typiing this you know I was able to stick the landing....... total miles for Sunday 30 but it felt like 40 with that wind in my face on the loop home.

Sandy
09-20-2004, 07:13 AM
Saturday- Wife hasn't been feeling well, so I have been staying home for a few days. Did 10 miles in my neighborhood just to see if I remembered how to pedal.

Sunday- Did a 40 mile ride with Sir Super Smiley and a few other nice cyclists. Then did a 25 mile picnic ride (no picnic) a little later. Little breezy earlier in day, but warmed up and became beautiful. I warmed up, but did not become beautiful.

Beautiful Sandy

Bruce K
09-20-2004, 07:36 AM
Sat. - remnants of Hurricane Ivan. Cleaned and prepped bikes. Did some "honey-do" projects. Did some work brought home from the office.

Sun. - 3 hours on the Cyclocross bike w/ 5 other guys also on cross bikes. We rode on paved roads, dirt roads, fire roads, walking paths, and some x-c through 2 different parks. Man it was fun.

BK

Kevan
09-20-2004, 07:56 AM
Did the Harvest Ride up there in Westsnort CT (ok, I'll be nice...Westport). PaulE found me in the parking lot so we exchanged quick hellos, too cold yesterday to hang around and yak, everyone was moving fast to get out on the ride and warm up. The ride was cold, windy and the route... well, poorly marked. I opted for the Metric (with all the wrong turns maybe 75 miler), but those hardy nuts like PaulE were going for the mile century. Paul, how was your ride?

My neighbor friend caravaned up with me to the ride, but was meeting a work cohort to do the hundred miles. His colleague arrived with a rental bike he had used only for a few minutes the day prior, brand new bike shorts, and opted for sneakers. Apparently this guy had done a 50 miler sometime ago.

I wonder if they're still out there....

keno
09-20-2004, 08:12 AM
came out to the country Sunday and I watched his butt from varying distances for 46 miles. He filled me in on the events of TdFL (over his shoulder and shouting). Always good to see my man csb, but the butt part?

keno

Tom
09-20-2004, 10:00 AM
- Sunday, drove home from Bristol
- Monday morning river loop, 32 miles, not a bad day.
- Tuesday off, lazy.
- Wednesday morning river loop.
- Thursday morning river loop, cut short to 30 miles. There's a guy in my neighborhood that's in his mid eighties, I saw him as I headed home. I think this guy rides 20-30 miles every single day. I want to be like him when the time comes.
- Friday off.
- Saturday bagged out of the 60 mile group ride because it was 50 degrees and pouring. I didn't do a damn thing all day long.
- Yesterday I finally got it going again. 48 miles up around Mariaville, up Batter Street and back home. I was really flat. Kind of windy, but tolerable except it seemed like no matter which direction I went I had a head wind.
- This morning a 42 degree river loop. Refreshingly crisp. It's fall. Drafting off school buses is kind of fun.

Jack Brunk
09-20-2004, 10:04 AM
Saturday:

Rode iin the tour of two forests double century. Ride time was 13 hours and climbed 13,300 feet. Great ride as the weather was perfect with light winds and temps in the high 60's even at 4000-6000ft elevation. two of my good friends were able to complete the ride and are now California Triple Crown Finishers.

Sunday:

Light recovery ride on the trainer for 45 minutes.

Jack

Dekonick
09-20-2004, 10:29 AM
No rides this week at all other than driving to Asheville NC to get my dog, check out the dmg from Ivan (poor NC - OUCH!) then drive back. My wife has been sick so I have been taking care of her and getting the dog (Truckie) set up and comfortable. Gonna go for a 30 miler right now, just to go out. I was hoping Sandy would join me, but I guess he didnt get my message in time.

Sandy, Pbbob, VArider, etc... lets go ride! the fall weather is here and the tree's will soon be golden...before long it will be trainer weather YUCH!

Dek :D

spiderman
09-20-2004, 10:52 AM
she was back on her bike for the first time saturday
with a 10 mile ride around our favorite loop...
sunday was the same ride with my 15 year old daughter.
saturday night i rode my mahogany rollers during the cubs loss
(or the reds victory...please don't think i'm out of line
because of person prejudice and intolerance...)
in the bottom of the 6th when dusty
left maddux in for one too many batters,
i almost turned my wheel
and narrowly missed going out
the sliding glass door in my living room...

Dr. Doofus
09-20-2004, 10:57 AM
Spidey - ditch that Herbert and get with some Rochester...or at least Dryden.

Fri -- Finally mailed Keno his check (tell me if the bank has a problem with the coffee stain on it).

Sat -- ran :40, rode 2:00

Sun -- ran :45, cross trained :45, did weights.

Loving the easiest time of the year....

Climb01742
09-20-2004, 11:07 AM
sat: remnants of ivan were pissing mightily on boston, so i ran :60 outside doing my best drowned rat impresonation. a triumph of bullheadedness over reason.

sun: sunny, cool, windy as all get-out. rode 2:00. into the wind felt longer. leaves are beginning to turn and fall. a few fireplaces were burning. that nice woodsmoke + leaves smell.

spiderman
09-20-2004, 11:08 AM
maybe it should be ONLY herbert fan.
...have you ever tried robert service...
...now there's poetry in motion!

scottcw
09-20-2004, 11:59 AM
Fri. - Yankees/Sox at Yankee Stadium. No ride.
Sat. - Thunder, lightning, torrential downpours. No ride.
Sun. - Rubber game of Yankees/Sox at Yankee Stadium. No ride.

Sometimes ya just gotta say ***.

PaulE
09-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Hey Kevan,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice to see you yesterday morning. How did you make out on the ride? Since you were riding the metric century, I was concerned your pace would burn me up too soon. The wind was an extra challenge, but the weather was otherwise perfect. We ended up going off course three times, twice when there was no turn arrow posted and once where the turn arrow indicated a left turn a little too soon. We ended up going up a mountain into a subdivision of luxury homes in Newtown. So we ended up with 107.3 miles instead of the advertised 101.5.

Len J
09-20-2004, 12:33 PM
Looked forward all week to riding Saturday only to be "Drowned out".

Finally got up Sunday and did 3 hard hours, 2 into the wind........ended up the good kind of sore on Sunday afternoon.

Len

Russell
09-20-2004, 01:01 PM
Went to a Cub Scout bike rally with my two boys. Rode my fixie. Needless to say I kicked their butts in the parking lot race. Hope I didn't embarass my kids when I threw up my arms and screamed "Who's your daddy!!" :bike:

davids
09-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Tuesday: The first morning on the trainer. At this point, it's my Gary Fisher commuter. Boring, boring, boring!

Thursday: Rosh Hashanah (can I say that?;)) - I try for a quick ride before heading for synagogue. It ends up being quicker than I'd hoped - The skies open up as I cross the town line into Milton. One moment I'm perfectly dry, wondering why the oncoming cars have their wipers going. The next moment I'm wishing I was in one of those cars! I turn around and head home, covering just over 9 miles.

Friday: Things finally improve. A beautiful fall morning, and no school drop-off obligations! My good ol' 21.5 mile loop, and off to work.

Saturday: The remnants of Ivan. Good lord, if these are the remnants, this was one mother of a storm! But it's a bike-themed day nonetheless. My mother-in-law tells my wife she's getting a $500 grant towards a new bike for her birthday. Out of excuses, she's ready to go shopping in the rain. Day one, we check out the likely suspects. She's falling in love with a flat black Specialized Sirrus. It looks like a good match, but there's the test ride set for...

Sunday: Solo 36 miles out to Dover in the morning. Unfortunately, the first leg is with the (strong!) wind at my back. The leg home is a push into the wind. Still, the day is gorgeous. Crossing route 128 on the way back, I encounter an amazing sight - A full-grown fox, trotting across Route 135! 11:00 in the morning, and he's out for a stroll on a major road... I exchange an amazed smile with a passing driver as we both slow down and let the fox go about his business undisturbed.

That afternoon, my wife closes the deal on a Specialized Sirrus. She saves another $70 by getting the '04 model, in white. Functionally identical, but she wanted black. Still, it was her choice (I prefer the white myself!) Wheelworks gets us out the door with an Astrale and a rear-view mirror for a few dollars over $500. I finish the set-up (bottle cage, her pedals, and a de-greasing of less-than-spotless frame) and change a msyterious flat (It wasn't there when I got home?!?) on my Seven. And so to bed...

bcm119
09-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Got dressed Saturday morning for a club ride, checked the weather radar, and went back to bed. Its only September, I don't have to start riding in the rain yet. I spent much of the day hanging new 105 components on an old frame I'm building for days like that.
Sunday I rode 60 solo miles on the cIII. Included the profoundly depressing towns of Monroe and Harrisburg, OR in my loop of Bellfountain and Peoria roads.
Last evening in Eugene I caught the second half of the 1/2/3 crit which was part of the Eugene celebration, after I got my SO out of the REI outlet store. It was chilly and wet but most people stayed upright.

gasman
09-20-2004, 01:29 PM
Friday- work 18 hours. :crap:
Sat- Sleep in but then go work all night, go to bed at 5AM Sun :crap:
Sun- Sleep till 1 PM , take son and friend to movie :D then go to work at 7 PM again :crap: , home at 9:30 sleep until 0730 this morning :D
Mon - I'm going to head out a ride at least 50 miles dangit! :banana: :banana:

Too Tall
09-20-2004, 01:58 PM
It's always so relaxing to hear I'm in the company of others doin' the business of being well.

Spidey - dibs on the rollers if you ever get tired of them? They sound interesting and remind me of the Belgian competition rollers I used to race on. Man dem waz the days. 45 seconds to misery.

spiderman
09-20-2004, 02:28 PM
of the ottrott st on the rollers...
...if i ever get tired of them
i'll send them to you and even cover the postage...
back to my 17 mile lunch loop.
what an absolutely beautiful day in the heart of the midwest!
strong southerly breeze...
...but i like to think of it as having a fierce competitor
when i'm riding alone.
...hills, distance and wind...
...are nothing to me!

csb
09-20-2004, 03:58 PM
stole stained check out of kenos' hand, jumped on trusty
spectrum for my getaway, looked back several times to
savor my success only to spy sparks spinning off a certain serottas'
stern, said serotta swept by, power tap hub glowing like
slag fresh out of the glory whole, surgically snapping check back.

46 miles of cat + mouse

Rob Mitchell
09-20-2004, 05:43 PM
Tuesday: 50 miles on my cheepo Specialized over Mt Tam to Stinson Beach. Oh what a beautiful day! Sun sparkling off the Pacific, and cool, speckled shadows under the redwoods. Middle chainring giving me trouble though.

Thursday: 50 miles to same Stinson beach on demo Seven Odonata. Oh what a beutiful bike! Not as nice as the Legend ST I've decided on though.

Sat: Group ride with LBS & back on my Specialized. Where'd we go? Where else...Stinson. Epic final pull up to Pantoll, but chain will no longer stay on middle chainring when under a load. Not very good for momentum. Guilty of a few colorfull words when chain was slipping. :crap:

Today: Drop bike off at LBS for tune-up. Prepare to travel out of country for next five weeks. No bike, can't even run... will probably go a little nuts without an exercise outlet.

BumbleBeeDave
09-20-2004, 05:45 PM
Sunday . . .50.5 miles second day of MHCC century weekend. Beautiful weather, but lousy average speed.

Tuesday . . . 23.5 miles David Ryan memorial ride. Just one other guy and me did the whole route.

Thursday . . . 25.75 miles up to Ballston Lake and back. Found a nice stretch of bike path unknown to me by the RR tracks and got dropped by an Amtrak passenger liner.

Saturday . . . 26.5 on the MTB on the bike path. Not glamorous, but a good workout.

About 125 for the week.

But then yesterday (first day of a new riding week) did 12 miles around the Saratoga Battlefield park on MTB’s with my daighter on a memorial ride for Bill Page, an MHCC member who was killed when he (apparently) had a blowout on route 9 and swerved in front of a minivan. Driver of the van was within legal speed and not drunk. We had a great time doing all the battlefield exhibits and then I did 28 more on the Queen Bee in the afternoon.

No riding today . . .

BBDave

keno
09-20-2004, 05:57 PM
a true verbal wheelie! ENCORPS!

keen keno

SteveE
09-21-2004, 04:30 PM
Friday: Did a spin up through Portola Valley and Woodside. Encountered 3 other guys from the club along the route and exchanged pleasantries. 40-ish miles.

Saturday: Led regular club ride. Out through Portola Valley and Woodside, again. Kept heading north on Canada Rd. to Hwy 92. Continued north to Crystal Springs, Polhemous, bike trail back to Canada Rd., back through Woodside ending up in Los Altos. Our ride got swallowed up twice (we took a short-cut!) by the Spectrum Ride with various members of our group jumping on and rejoining us later in the ride. About 65 miles.

Sunday: Decided to sleep in a bit and catch the Sunday club ride about a mile from my house rather than riding 6.5 mi., catching the ride at its departure point, and riding back to within a mile of my house. Waited for the ride to come by, when they didn't show up I went rode off in the direction the ride was intended to go, figuring the peloton would reel me in in short order. Climbed up to Saratoga Gap via Redwood Gulch taking it very easy and hoping someone would catch up. Started to get wetter as I ascended and no one was catching me. Saw fellow club member Dave descending. Got to the top and waited. Finally a guy from the club showed up coming in from the north. After waiting a bit, we both decided to descend into the valley where it was drier. Rode up through Portola Valley and Woodside, again! About 65 miles.

Monday: Recovery day. No riding.

Today: Decided to go for a ride with a new friend. So what did we do? Portola Valley, of course. About 34 miles.

Bikerfred
09-21-2004, 08:46 PM
Sunday rode in the Harvest 100 in Connecticut...cold and it seemed the wind was always in my face no matter what direction. But a windy cold day riding is still a great day. I am doing the Golden Apple 125 miler in Westchester, New York this coming weekend. Has anyone every done this ride?

Kevan
09-21-2004, 09:11 PM
Done the Apple many times, you'll enjoy it. The course is harder than that of the Harvest and I certainly hope the directional markings will be better than what we dealt with.

I'll be slapping pb&j's together this year at the Yorktown stop, figuring it's about time I do a volunteer stint for all the times I've ridden the ride.

Look me up! :D

Dekonick
09-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Well - my carpet is now baptized -

Got my rollers (because of dog$$ and wife, I went with performance rollers - K's will wait another year) and discovered its not terribly hard, but one second of inattention and - woops carpet burn!

Heh - I hope it gets easier! I feel like a total noob - I dont trust my Look's, afraid I am gonna fall over sideways...ride all stiff...but once you get em rolling smoothly its a nice feel.

I wish I could stay on the rollers longer than 5 minutes without 'falling' off...
Perhaps I should try the door frame idea someone posted here...I was just using a wall on one side. I can tell it will be ok for a low grade cardio workout, but the computrainer will still be my choice for pain.

The rollers are nice in that they fold to take NO space at all thus I can take em to work... Ill give a work report tomorrow after I burn the carpet in my office, fill out a 'loss/damage' report for the carpet burn, followed by 'report of personal injury on the job' form after I crash into the wall.... Its going to be a fun day! :D

Fall is fast approaching and its time to get the moutnain bike out for a bit of trail fun... soon.... well perhaps only after the leaves fall and make road riding too dangerous. :D

spiderman
09-21-2004, 11:51 PM
the rain forced me into it...
...i drove home at noon
picked up my big yankee rollers
and brought them into the office
for a nice 20 minute spin/28 mph
...plenty of pain and sweat for me.
plenty of amusement for the staff as well.
...very fitting...right by the treadmill
in my stress test room.
...there must be a protocol out there
for stress test applications with rollers.
...any data out there on that one??
i store them against the wall in my office
and i'll keep my kreitlers for use at home...
...don't worry,
if you can go five...sky's the limit...
you'll have to set your timer to keep from going too long...

Too Tall
09-22-2004, 06:45 AM
Turn your bars up some and don't look down! No worries even after yrs. of riding rollers I still am all wobbly for the first couple mins. If your Perf. rollers don't have resistance you can stick a playing card or two in the front spokes.

Dekonick
09-22-2004, 09:45 PM
They make a mag unit but I was hoping that using 53/12 would = enough work. Right now I am using the 39 mostly just cuz its easier to focus.

Think I better get some el cheapo tires too... at this rate Ill need new carpet and tires before the weekend.

Any tips on starting out? Its hard to mount the bike without a wall to hold onto to start. (I dont have a compact geo -)