PDA

View Full Version : Fondriest Carbon? Fondriest Carbon? Anyone???

SoCalSteve
09-19-2004, 10:54 PM
Hi all,

The last thread I started was kind of to see what everyone loves, etc. when it comes to different material frames.

Yes, most people agree on:

Ti: Seven, Serotta, Moots...

Steel: Serotts CSI

Al: Pegoretti Fina Estampa

Carbon: Calfee and Parlee

Mixed Material: Pam Anderson and Serotta Ottrott

My question is: Why didnt anyone choose Fondriest Carbon frames? Is it because they are not so well known in the US? Have a very small dealer base? Too expensive? No one races on them? Or???

If you go to their website and read about them, look at their hi res photo's, etc. maybe you might change your minds. Who knows?

Anyway, I would really love some feedback, opinions, etc on people who have had experiences, good,bad or indifferent with Fondriest carbon bikes.

I am thinking of purchasing their next to "top of the line" frameset (which happens to be on sale $800.00 off retail from Fondriest Direct) and its still WAY expensive at $2,700.00. Before I go spending that much, I'd like some feedback.

Anyone? Anyone?

As always, thank you so much in advance,

Steve

slowgoing
09-20-2004, 01:26 AM
lol at Pam Anderson under "mixed material."

shinomaster
09-20-2004, 01:39 AM
Actually I have lusted after the stealthy black matte looking Fondriest bikes for as long as I have been aware of them. I was a big fan of Maurizio as a racer so it would be an honor to ride around on one of his creations. Carbon p4 or top level to be sure.

quattro
09-20-2004, 07:31 AM
Steve, I owned a Fondriest steel frame called the X-Status and was very pleased with it, although ultimately felt it was not my size and sold it. I have since purchased a custom Parlee Z1 carbon fiber frame. I think the main reason you don't see Fondriest listed with Parlee and Calfee is because at the prices that we pay for these top end carbon fiber frames, if you can get a custom build for the same money it is perferred. Custom is what you get from Parlee and Calfee in the price range of the Fondriest, before the $800 discount price. If the the Fondriest frame at $800 off is your size go for it! I have seen their CF frames and they look very nice indeed, have never heard anything negative about them. I do love my CF Parlee, but the price is now over $3,500. Although CF frames are built differently by different builders, not sure if the Fondriest is CF lugged or monoqoce(sp?), I like the cf lugged frames of Parlee the best. Good luck, let us know if you decide on the Fondriest and give us your review. What else are you realistically considering in CF?

SoCalSteve
09-20-2004, 08:38 AM
Ok, here's the deal: I really dont want another lugged carbon fiber frame. I own a Calfee Luna Pro and am very happy with it. The performance, comfort level, build quality are all truly stellar. I just dont really like the bulky look of lugs. (of course steel lugged frames are a whole different matter)

But, I have always wanted to ride a monocoque cf frame. There are very few true monocoque frames available and they tend to be very expensive indeed. The other frame I looked at was the Orbea Orca and felt that it wasnt built to very high standards.

Also, I wanted something that was not built in the Far East, as much of the carbon fiber (frames and parts) are now built there.

So, when this deal came up from Fondriest Direct and they had a frameset in my size, I thought that I should give it a go. All Fondriest carbon frames are hand built in Italy.

So, I ordered one. I'll let everyone know.

Please, any more opinions and thoughts are always welcome.

Thanks,

Steve

SoCalSteve
09-20-2004, 09:20 PM
I would truly love to hear more experiences, if anyone has them.

As always, thank you in advance,

Steve

gasman
09-20-2004, 10:59 PM
Hi Steve-
I'd really be interested in your experience with Fondriest. I was interested in their Top Carbon frame as it looked very well built. I was also intersted in Parlee.I bought the Calfee Tetra Pro because it is a great bike and what my LBS carried.There are no dealers in town for either of the other bikes and the Fondriest was stupid expensive at around $4,900 for the frame and fork. I did read one great review of the bike from someone in Colorado who made the plunge and was happy. You better be happy if you are going to plunk down that kind of money.
So, let us all know what you think about the bike. Pamela Anderson may be cheaper except she has hepatitis C eeuuu...ick.