PDA

View Full Version : tri training at SAN DIEGO AREA SHARKS !! and death

ada@prorider.or
04-25-2008, 08:16 PM
it seems to be very dangerous to swim in san diego area
as dr Martin was attacked to day by a shark and died!!

saab2000
04-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Swimming in the ocean can be dangerous. Riding a bike on a public road can be dangerous too.

Fixed
04-25-2008, 08:36 PM
when i was there is the early 80 it was ucsd pool everyday at noon i swam next to tinley
cheers

chuckred
04-25-2008, 09:38 PM
It's the third shark death in CA since 2003. I guarantee there have been many more cyclists killed...

Still... not my choice of the way to go - very tragic!

One of my real heros:

tougher than most! (http://www.bethanyhamilton.com/)

Fixed
04-25-2008, 09:46 PM
the cat was a vet it is sad to go eaten by something from dino age
cheers

M.Sommers
04-25-2008, 09:52 PM
the cat was a vet it is sad to go eaten by something from dino age
cheers

bro i totally agree. i saw the newsflash on tv today. when someone dies it calls for sympathy, empathy, but not data or comparisons atmo.

a good man and athlete died today.

chuckred
04-25-2008, 10:25 PM
bro i totally agree. i saw the newsflash on tv today. when someone dies it calls for sympathy, empathy, but not data or comparisons atmo.

a good man and athlete died today.
\
That wasn't my intent...

Indeed a tragedy and I can't imagine having it happen to a friend or loved one.

sn69
04-25-2008, 11:41 PM
I heard about this early this morning and have been following it in the news all day. He was a member of the Tri Club of San Diego. They were doing their Friday morning swim at Fletcher Cove in Solana Beach.

So far, local news is reporting that experts from Scripps Oceanography think it was a rogue female great white that came in shore to breed. Thing is, we don't really get many great whites here. Lots of bull and sand sharks (the former of which are nasty enough in their own right), but our sea lion population isn't enough to support top-end predators like whites. If anything, we get more migratory orcas than whites, and the former are smart, thinking animals.

Either way, it was a bad day.

I swim the La Jolla Cove regularly throughout the summer, but I've always avoided Fletcher and Moonlight Beach. I don't like the sense of exposure in the latter two, even if the water is generally clear and the bottom is sandy. ...I doubt I'll be swimming anywhere other than the pool this summer, statistics be damned.

On a close-to-home note, one of the "youngsters" who works with me inteded to swim with TCSD this morning, but bailed and came to work early in stead. I'm very glad she did!

Scott
(Fixed--Tinley...really? He's a little dude, isn't he...but hell on the bike. What drove you back to Tampa? Sheesh, I fled St Pete for San Diego and never looked back.)

sailorboy
04-25-2008, 11:56 PM
I swam Lajolla cove only a few times for tri training in the years I was there--mostly used the special warfare pool on coronado.

I would get skeeved out when the kelp would brush across my body or hit my face in open water swims, so this would be no kind of way to go out. Scary and sad. Mother nature doesn't play around. I guess we all know the risks, however small they might be.

Ken Robb
04-26-2008, 12:10 AM
yep the third attack in San Diego County since 1959--it's terrifying!

Louis
04-26-2008, 12:27 AM

Actually, I think there's a much deeper-seated primal fear when it comes to shark attacks while swimming in the ocean, compared to cyclists vs. yahoos in pick-ups or blue-hairs in Chevy Caprices.

M.Sommers
04-26-2008, 10:56 AM

What is your point? :confused: Cause if it was you, or someone you knew who was attacked yesterday, yes, it would be terrifying, wouldn't it? Whether it was 3, 6, 9 or 12 attacks, would the level of terror increase or decrease?

Ken Robb
04-26-2008, 12:42 PM
The OP wrote that is very dangerous to swim in San Diego because of a shark attack. My point is that a shark attack is such an unusual occurance here that it's not going to change my attitude about swimming in the ocean at all. We have multiple deaths on our county highways every week and I'm still driving too. Heck the most dangerous thing I do is ride my bike in traffic. That can be really scary. Nobody said it's not a tragedy and that the family doesn't deserve our prayers and sorrow.

Yes, if there were a dozen attacks in a year in the same area I'd probably stay in the pool.

ada@prorider.or
04-26-2008, 12:52 PM
The problem is what i heard that indeed there more the dozens attacks only because these do not lead to death the people do not take any notice.

And becuase of tourisme they do not want to have that attention to this problem.

Well that what i heard of US navy seals officer

Redturbo
04-26-2008, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=sn69] If anything, we get more migratory orcas than whites, and the former are smart, thinking animals.

How do you know great whites aren't smart thinkers? :beer: :confused:

Blue Jays
04-26-2008, 01:38 PM
"...The problem is what i heard that indeed there more the dozens attacks only because these do not lead to death the people do not take any notice. And becuase of tourisme they do not want to have that attention to this problem. Well that what i heard of US navy seals officer..."If there were "multiple" shark attacks someplace, it's not something that could be quietly and effectively swept under the rug. As an aside, if people are eager to share they are Navy SEAL in conversation, they're likely not...

What a tragic story about that unfortunate man. :(

Ken Robb
04-26-2008, 01:48 PM
:rolleyes: The problem is what i heard that indeed there more the dozens attacks only because these do not lead to death the people do not take any notice.

And becuase of tourisme they do not want to have that attention to this problem.

Well that what i heard of US navy seals officer
Did you hear about the sharks on the grassy knoll?

ada@prorider.or
04-26-2008, 02:19 PM
As an aside, if people are eager to share they are Navy SEAL in conversation, they're likely not...
(

jeez
:confused:

Fixed
04-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Scott
(Fixed--Tinley...really? He's a little dude, isn't he...but hell on the bike. What drove you back to Tampa? Sheesh, I fled St Pete for San Diego and never looked back.)[/QUOTE]

I had a girlfriend that was on the swim team at usf she was into tri 's and she moved there. i followed .. I swam in high school and it turns out i could swim about as good as most of the cats. from what i remember tinley was about my size at that time about 6' and about 155 ..they use to have a tus day or wednesday ride that was real hard up pch .. torrie pines ..i remember going on it a few times with like a dollar in my jersey for a 100 mile ride
cheers

sn69
04-26-2008, 06:55 PM
teaches at SDSU these days--sport psychology. He's also writing regularly, including some fiction--not bad stuff IMHOATMOxyzpdq.

I think it was the Tuesday morning run and the Wednesday morning ride. Sumthin like that. Either way, they were always too fast for me. :rolleyes:

Granted, I was always on the St Pete side of the bay when I lived there (Treasure Island back in the mid 80s) and never much ventured over to Tampa, except for Guavaween. Still, I don't remember seeing many cyclists back then, although the St Pete Mad Dog tri team is HUGE.

Cheers :beer: ,
Scott

I had a girlfriend that was on the swim team at usf she was into tri 's and she moved there. i followed .. I swam in high school and it turns out i could swim about as good as most of the cats. from what i remember tinley was about my size at that time about 6' and about 155 ..they use to have a tus day or wednesday ride that was real hard up pch .. torrie pines ..i remember going on it a few times with like a dollar in my jersey for a 100 mile ride
cheers[/QUOTE]