PDA

View Full Version : Velocity DeepV vs DT Swiss R1.2

jhcakilmer
04-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Just had a short discussion with a friend, and fellow forumite about these rims, and I wanted to see what others thought.

Dimension are almost identical, weight is dead even.

R1.2 - more metal on braking surface
DeepV - thicker rim walls - overall body of rim has more metal

How do they build up? Ride characteristics? etc

#1 - DeepV
#2 - R1.2

Thanks

dirtdigger88
04-25-2008, 06:21 PM
I had a set of wheels built on Deep Vs- I liked how they rode- I had a set of 24/24s and they were solid under my 190#-

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd193/ergottWheels/Alloy%20Clinchers/PB191598.jpg

I'd say its a dead heat unless you want to go with some of the cool colors that you can get in the Deep Vs- though you cant get machined sidewall in all the colors- my wheels with out them were just fine in the braking department

Velocity wins hands down in the bling factor

Jason

saab2000
04-25-2008, 06:24 PM
I have Velocity Aeroheads on two bikes. They ain't Deep Vs, but are good rims. The offset rear is the shiz. (the beer is starting to kick in.....)

dirtdigger88
04-25-2008, 06:30 PM
I have Velocity Aeroheads on two bikes. They ain't Deep Vs, but are good rims. The offset rear is the shiz. (the beer is starting to kick in.....)

BTW- the main wheelset I use on my Kirk are Aeroheads- LOVE THEM

Im only on one beer so far- Im trying to catch up to saab

Jason

Louis
04-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Based purely on the profiles it sure looks the the R1.2's have had more effort put into the design and manufacturing - more optimization, hence maybe a tad better, but who knows - there are many other variables.

saab2000
04-25-2008, 06:35 PM
BTW- the main wheelset I use on my Kirk are Aeroheads- LOVE THEM

Im only on one beer so far- Im trying to catch up to saab

Jason

I got back to my house in Michigan 6 hours earlier than expected today. Working a couple beers right now, feet up on the patio rail, Wi-Fi kicks a$$ and thinking about my ride tomorrow, which will be cold in light of the cold front that is out over Lake Michigan right now.

Gotta try out my new Sidi Ergo 2s..... :D

jhcakilmer
04-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Based purely on the profiles it sure looks the the R1.2's have had more effort put into the design and manufacturing - more optimization, hence maybe a tad better, but who knows - there are many other variables.

That was one of my first impressions......designs looks a little more refined, or diliberate. But does that translate into increased performance, durability, etc?

Does anyone know what alloy they use, and how they compare. I think velocity likes the 6000 series, don't they?

Ligero
04-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Both are 6000 series aluminum, the dt is a welded joint the deepV is sleeved, the deepV's are close to 600g now but the Dt is 530ish. Both build up good but I think the Dt is more round and straight out of the box then the Velocity.

regularguy412
04-25-2008, 07:06 PM
I've not used the Deep V's, but I built up a set of RR 1.2's for my fixie. They're 32-hole rims on IRO High-flange hubs using DT Revolution spokes. I only have a few hundred miles on them, but they are a solid wheel. The Revolutions help make for a pretty comfy ride. The rims themselves are stiff enough to stay true and were easy to build-up, even with no eyelets. They don't seem excessively heavy and are pretty stable in cross-winds, despite the deep profile. I like'em.

Mike in AR:beer:

RPS
04-25-2008, 07:46 PM
I have two sets of older Deep Vs -- one 650C on a TT bike and the other 26-inch on a tandem. Never touched either, so I guess they've held up great.

04-25-2008, 07:55 PM
The Deep V's are solid and OK to build, but DT really improved the rim quite a bit. They clearly went after the Deep V -- even the ERD is the same. The hook for the tire bead is more pronounced and holds the tire a good bit better. The machining of the spoke nipple seat is much more sophisticated in the DT -- it's just a standard wall thickness on the Deep V but has a neat raised pedestal reinforcement on the DT 1.2. The finish is very nice. There's more metal in the braking surfaces so they last longer. The alloy is noticeably stronger on the DT's, although both rims are so overbuilt that the Deep V isn't going to fail you. The Deep V has a pinned joint that sometimes is a bit rough -- you keep feeling it catch your brake pads -- while the DT is welded. The DT valve hole is nice and tight -- sometimes you even have to file it out just a tiny bit with a rattail file -- while the Deep V is fairly loose and tends to click. The surface of the DT is a lot better finished -- the Deep V has fairly pronounced extrusion marks and tends to vary in wall thickness quite a bit, while the DT is quite refined. In a 32 hole rim you won't see the difference, but build up a 24 hole Deep V and a 24 hole 1.2 and you'll see that the DT is quite a bit stronger. I'd definitely opt for the DT as long as you aren't dead set on having sperm tracking along your rim sidewalls (you didn't see those rims as an option at the last Interbike???) or want magenta rims without machined sidewalls.

jhcakilmer
04-25-2008, 10:45 PM
The Deep V's are solid and OK to build, but DT really improved the rim quite a bit. They clearly went after the Deep V -- even the ERD is the same. The hook for the tire bead is more pronounced and holds the tire a good bit better. The machining of the spoke nipple seat is much more sophisticated in the DT -- it's just a standard wall thickness on the Deep V but has a neat raised pedestal reinforcement on the DT 1.2. The finish is very nice. There's more metal in the braking surfaces so they last longer. The alloy is noticeably stronger on the DT's, although both rims are so overbuilt that the Deep V isn't going to fail you. The Deep V has a pinned joint that sometimes is a bit rough -- you keep feeling it catch your brake pads -- while the DT is welded. The DT valve hole is nice and tight -- sometimes you even have to file it out just a tiny bit with a rattail file -- while the Deep V is fairly loose and tends to click. The surface of the DT is a lot better finished -- the Deep V has fairly pronounced extrusion marks and tends to vary in wall thickness quite a bit, while the DT is quite refined. In a 32 hole rim you won't see the difference, but build up a 24 hole Deep V and a 24 hole 1.2 and you'll see that the DT is quite a bit stronger. I'd definitely opt for the DT as long as you aren't dead set on having sperm tracking along your rim sidewalls (you didn't see those rims as an option at the last Interbike???) or want magenta rims without machined sidewalls.

Thanks, that a great description of the differences.