PDA

View Full Version : Meivici

rbtmcardle
04-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Well, I just sent Jimcav a check for his meivici, now the question is what to build it up with - suggestions?

Gruppo?

Wheels? Tubular = yes

Stem?

Bar and tape?

Saddle - brooks swift - I have both honey and black

thanks for the advice

Pete Serotta
04-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Wonderful bike and Jim is a "standup" type of guy. YOU will enjoy the ride SEE BELOW

Well, I just sent Jimcav a check for his meivici, now the question is what to build it up with - suggestions?

Gruppo? CAMPY, SHIMANO, SRAM (whichever puts a smile on your face

Wheels? Tubular = yes

Stem? Factor in Top tUbe Length and figure what you need. Hard to go wrong with Ritchey 4x

Bar and tape? Evo (ritchy bars...measure you current and then translate to RITCHEY

Saddle - brooks swift - I have both honey and black

OPEN A BOTTLE OF RED, toast JIM, and then relax :D

thanks for the advice

J.Greene
04-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Campagnolo Record. Campagnolo Eurus Wheels.

whatever you do don't put one of those leather horse saddles on it.

JG

ecl2k
04-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Considering the money you saved, you could send it to serotta for a new paint scheme - the old one was kind of gaudy (just my opinion)

group - record
wheels - edge tubulars/tune hubs built by one of the usual guys
stem/bar - maybe a matching set from oval concepts or 3T

Pete Serotta
04-25-2008, 12:01 PM
send the money to JIM and he can throw us a party in SD. Also, I like the paint...it is all personal and is the saddle. "RIDE WHAT PUTS A SMILE ON YOUR FACE" :D :D :D

Considering the money you saved, you could send it to serotta for a new paint scheme - the old one was kind of gaudy (just my opinion)

group - record
wheels - edge tubulars/tune hubs built by one of the usual guys
stem/bar - maybe a matching set from oval concepts or 3T

Bruce K
04-25-2008, 12:07 PM
My2 cents (and that's about all it's worth ;) ) and to be just a little contrarian...

Gruppo: SRAM Red (love mine)
Wheels: Reynolds deep carbon wheels (ditto)
Bar & Stem: any bar that fits you right (not necessarily carbon), Ritchey 4axis stem (best bang for the buck).

You will love it with pretty much whatever you build it with.

BK

legacysti888
04-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Got mine from him as well. She's tricked out with RED and Bontrager XXX lites tubulars. Can't be happier! <15lbs as pic'd. :D

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=42032

My ride is probably muay different from yours because it has all Core 6.5 tubings while yours is 8.5 - stiffer and faster. I have other stiff and fast bikes to satisfy me so I chose the 6.5 frame instead. 'Will need a ride report from you once she is built!

jimcav
04-25-2008, 03:36 PM
thanks for the advice

i concede that the gold wheels to be over the top for some. i disagree the red tinted carbon and gold lettering is gaudy--it is really nice, and i think subdued.

that said, if my other bike(s) weren't already campy. i'd try sram--but i'd only buy the shifters, RD, and cassette.

if your goal is light, i have been riding reynolds KOM wheels this week which are nice, and for the weight, affordable compared to others. so you could try something like that.
or, minus decals (which would clash), i think the zipp rim profile is nicer in crosswinds than other aero wheels. and sierratradingpost recently still had cosmic carbones carbon tubular at $1700-ish, and i can fwd you the current 15-20% off deal

bars-ec90
stem: ritchey matrix carbon
brakes: record
cranks: record UT
shifters: 1st red, 2nd record
RD: as above,
cassette sram red, or record
wheels: hyperon, or zipp 303 (no decals)

jim

rbtmcardle
04-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Jim
No offense intended and I hope none taken, just looking for some ideas.

I just sold my set of D/A 404s on ebay, I have come to the conclusion that I am just not that fast and its ok. I remember reading a backpage article some time ago in Bicycling I think, that talked about the old guy with black dress socks and how he just kept going, not a fancy kit man, not an incredible bike, but could ride. Thats my aim, the lurker who doesnt say much, just rides.
I like nice beautifully designed and engineered items and wont hesitate buying expensive bikes and components. I love the red color of the frame, the gold outline I am iffy on but according to the Serotta site, they arent taking any repairs etc. right now so if I do anything I will wait till winter and then probably only change the gold decals if that can be done.

Wheels are my biggest challenge I think, I ride ergott built 32h 240s with escape rims now and love them but will want to do something more in line with the geometry on this frame.

Currently my Spectrum is set up for all day jaunts, the Meivici will be my short ride screamer and my Sachs, well, who knows what it will be in 5 years when my turn comes up;).

PoppaWheelie
04-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Jim sold the red Meivici??! :beer:

I'm not sure how I feel about the classifieds section now...it just won't be the same without seeing that add up there every few days.

Congrats to both parties!

jimcav
04-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Jim sold the red Meivici??! :beer:
I'm not sure how I feel about the classifieds section now...it just won't be the same without seeing that add up there every few days.
Congrats to both parties!

or simply stay tuned for the kirk, crumpton show
and depending on the ratings for those, you may see a special limited time only guest appearance by the vanilla

jim

jimcav
04-25-2008, 05:40 PM
i'm just saying it was built out with top stuff, but campy is not for everyone (if it was, then what would be the there for the snob in us, tiso?)
jim