PDA

View Full Version : Question for BigDaddySmooth

Sandy
01-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Question for BigDaddySmooth- Smoothie- You mentioned in a previous post that you use the Concept II Rower in your exercise regimen. I think you rowed an extraordinary amount, in meters, if I remember correctly. Last year during the winter, I started doing some spin classes, which I really enjoyed. I did a little weight training for the first time and started doing the rower, which I really liked, much more that the weight training. How good is the rower for cross training? Will it help you in your cycling? Does it help in the development of core muscles? How about arms and legs? I would really appreciate your thoughts since it is getting cold again and I am going to go back to spin classes and the rower.

Interesingly, BigDaddySmooth, I am Big and I am a Daddy, but I am not Smooth, so I guess that I will never become the second BigDaddySmooth. What qualifies one to become a BigDaddySmooth??

Smoothless STill Serotta Sandy

H.Frank Beshear
01-05-2004, 08:16 PM
Hi Sandy, I'm glad you posted something about the C-2 rower. We purchased one in october and I have rowed over 400,000 meters so far. I like the cross training that it provides plus it exercises the muscles from the ankles up:p especially the back and shoulders. I have been extremely impressed with the quality of the rower. I just received my T-shirt for the holiday row, cool like a century t-shirt, I rowed just over 200,000 meters to qualify for it. The website offers a daily log that you can record your meters in and also ranked rows that allow you to compare yourself with others in your age and weight catagory. I can work strength or cardio, with it. The abs get a tremendous workout. I think Bill Bove had one for sale? I remember seeing it on the old classifieds. I have enjoyed our C-2 this winter, and can see using it year round, at least on rainy days. If you have any specific questions feel free to email me. Take care. Frank

CIII_bill
01-05-2004, 09:02 PM
I rowed the Holiday Challenge last year. I believe it gave me a great base for my biking last year.

The Concept 2 provides a GREAT cardio workout and in my opinion is about the best cross training you do for biking.

Dude
01-05-2004, 09:26 PM
I am an ex rower, and as much as I dread those damn ergs, there is nothing that is a better workout. Legs, core, back and arms, all get a workout, every stroke. Otherwise you wouldn't go anywhere.

I found it helped alot with outright power and recovery times. I was able to generate more power uphill, spin larger gear on the flats, for longer periods of time, stand up, sit down, go easy for a minute and get right back to it. They are a little pricey but 15 mins (doesn't sound like much but if you are just starting out, it is killer) a day for a 3 days a week and you'll see results.

I sound like an infomercial for gods sake.

Anyway. They are torture, but brilliant. Let me know if you need any drills to work any part of your technique. I rowed for 7 years and coached briefly as well.

If its any consolation we used to do 5 x 20mins. On saturdays we had to do 3x40mins plus weights or 900 meters on 100 meters off for 10K.

CIII_bill
01-05-2004, 09:53 PM
One thing I like is the variety of workouts you can do - which help keep it fresh for me.

theprep
01-06-2004, 07:37 AM
How much do they cost and where can you get one?

Sounds like a great workout, aerobic and strength, all in one.

My local gym pretty much doubled there prices, so I'm look for new winter workouts.

Dude
01-06-2004, 09:06 AM
They are $850 plus shipping. You can order them from www.concept2.com

Also check www.row2k.com and look in the classifieds (rowing machines for sale...)

The Model B is pretty crappy, the Model C is probably what you want which you can find used out there. There is a new D out but i have never rowed on that.

Hope that helps! Have fun with it.

Climb01742
01-06-2004, 09:52 AM
dude, both of my business partners rowed at penn. where did you do your torture?

Too Tall
01-06-2004, 10:07 AM
10-4! We've used a Concept II off and on for a few yrs. It's a nicely made device and makes me pretty uniformly sore. Nice change from the Computrainer. 3 X 40's + weights!!!! That ain't human. I'm impressed.

Last season a pal ,who is a national caliber rower, came over to give me some tips. He had me row for a while correcting form etc. Than my pal rowed for a while. Holy Cow, amazing what he could do compared to me. Not even ANY resemblance in our power and speed.

Louis
01-06-2004, 11:54 AM
I second what others have said above.

The CII rower is a great way to cross-train, especially in winter when it's too cold / dark to ride. It's also a more complete workout than cycling, since it works more major muscle groups. All cyclists could use some help above the waist. You can also achieve a higher heart rate over an extended period of time.

IMO the biggest benefit of rowing over rollers / trainers is that for some reason that I don't fully understand, the rower is not nearly as boring. After about 20 minutes on rollers or a trainer my brain turns to mush, but I can easily do about an hour on the rower and not feel like I'm going nuts.

You might be able to find some good deals on Model C rowers, since CII just came out with the Model D. I have a C and am thinking about upgrading the display, because the D has more functions.

Louis

Dude
01-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Climbo-
I rowed for Trinity College, class of 2001. Also rowed in High School at the Hun school in Princeton and Carnegie Lake Rowing Association. Did a stint two summers ago with Saratoga Crew.

A few of my friends went to Penn and rowed there as well, if they are younger guys I may know them.

Climb01742
01-06-2004, 02:19 PM
dude,
my partners are about ten or so years older than you. which means you've probably lost just a little of your speed. and they've lost all of theirs.
climb.

Spinner
01-06-2004, 03:15 PM
another fabulous cross training tool is the ellipitical trainer. i've enjoyed using them for about 1.5 years and have found the experience to be one of the best cross training exercises available. using the lifefitness brand, i typically workout for 30 minutes, switching the rotational direction with the legs every five minutes along with either pushing or pulling on the arm levers. this 30 minute workout usually yields a 425 to 450 calorie burn. i will then lift weights or run to complete the workout.

last winter, after spending several months on the ellipitical, i hit the downhill slopes and guess what, not a single sore muscle. i also believe that my cycling legs improved with this exercise alternative.

the lifefitness brand offers a lot of options with respect to degree of difficulty and type of workout. whatever you choose, you can enjoy tremendous benefits.

cheers!

Sandy
01-12-2004, 02:19 PM
I see you are on the forum now, so you can see my question.

Sandy

sellsworth
01-12-2004, 03:41 PM
It's great to see that there are other rowers out there in Serotta land. Rowing is a close second in my mind to cycling. I bought a Concept 2 for $20. It's a model B - but still it was a great deal. I usually set up my laptop with a cycling DVD in front of me and before I know it I'm up to 10,000 meters.

BigDaddySmooth
01-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Have I achieved legendary status or what:-) ? I fell a little short of my goal of 2 million meters by about 2 weeks. I wanted 6k on the bike and so something had to give. Plus, the USAF no longer uses the cycle ergo to measure fitness. We have to run 1.5 miles. Ahhh! So, I had to start running as I can't just do the the run, no, I have to get max points so my rowing has taken a back seat. I find rowing excellent in terms of efficiency and all-around body conditioning. It does not seem to hurt my cycling other than I spend less time on the bike. My fitness belief is I'd rather be good in a number of activites than "great" in just one. If I picked cycling only, a logical choice given I got about a gazillion dollars invested, my cycling would be the same. Good at climbing/sprinting/etc but nothing special in any category. So, I do what I do.

As far as my moniker goes. Well, I gave it much thought and for so reason I came up with BigDaddySmooth. At the time of its inception I was none of the above. I figured if Puff Daddy can make up a name then so could I. I am now a daddy and I'm pretty good with the ladies ("its the hair, don't mess with my hair") so smooth kinda fits but big? No way. 5'9" 152. Not bad for a 42 y.o