PDA

View Full Version : If canti bosse aren't straight, how do you straighten them?

dannyg1
04-25-2008, 12:44 AM
They're pretty close to straight, but one sits at a slightly down angle from the other. Do I bend the boss or the braze on? Or both, in situ? Don't want to destroy anything and cold use the advice.

Thanks
Danny

stevep
04-25-2008, 05:56 AM
used frame?
i thk yr screwed.

Too Tall
04-25-2008, 06:49 AM
Can you work with it or is the boss too far out?

zank
04-25-2008, 07:04 AM
Are you using a cantilever that doesn't allow for pad/toe-in rotation, i.e. spooky or empella or grumpys? My suggestion is to get a long canti pad and bend the pad to adjust your toe-in. Has worked for me for a long time. Otherwise, you can use a Pauls canti or something like it (Avid, Shimano, etc) that use pad holders that can be toed-in. If you can get your toe-in to work, I wouldn't worry about the boss itself.

M.Sommers
04-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Drive to Chester, CT. There is a Church there and some say if you place your frame over your head and kneel at the bird bath in the back of the yard and place the Holy Water on yourself in the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit, then rub some onto the bosses, you might find the salvation you seek. Bring Twizzlers and good 1970's pron too.

Good luck, my prayers are with you and yours.

:beer:

A glimpse at Nirvana:

dannyg1
04-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Can you work with it or is the boss too far out?

I can 'work with it' but first, I'm going to check and see if it's the theading within the braze on's that's off. It's really very slight and I'm probably just getting a little too critical about it, but I do want the thing to just build up a touch more easily than this has been going..

Hey MSommer's. How is that church up in Conn? I've read interesting things about it before but I hear the pilgrimage is longer than advertised :)

Danny

Danny

ss-jimbo
04-25-2008, 09:55 AM
I bent one of my rear canti bosses in a missed cross remount. I don't to say what type of frame, because it makes me too sad. For the time being I bent it in using an Allen wrench. It's straight enough to work now, but I'll have to replace the seat stay eventually. I do it as part of a repaint. I'm saving up the money.

Jimbo

dannyg1
04-25-2008, 02:51 PM
I bent one of my rear canti bosses in a missed cross remount. I don't to say what type of frame, because it makes me too sad. For the time being I bent it in using an Allen wrench. It's straight enough to work now, but I'll have to replace the seat stay eventually. I do it as part of a repaint. I'm saving up the money.

Jimbo

How far off was it after the foot crash? Why do you have to replace the stay? That bend a bit as well?

It's looking like I'm going to be able to deal with my problem without bending anything. I'm going to put the thing together and see if it's centered and stable today. Man do I want this build over with!

Danny

Louis
04-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Could you cobble something together using a wedge-shaped washer (i.e. a regular washer sanded to have varying thickness from one side to the other) as a shim to get you the correct angle?

(I know very little about cantilever brakes.)

Louis

dannyg1
04-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Nope. The shaft of the stud should be perfectly parallel, identically to it's opposite sitting brethren. A lopsided shim would need to sit between the brazed on canti flat and the stud would then thread on top of it. Sounds a tad too convoluted and dangerous for trial.

Thanks for the suggestion though..

Danny

Could you cobble something together using a wedge-shaped washer (i.e. a regular washer sanded to have varying thickness from one side to the other) as a shim to get you the correct angle?

(I know very little about cantilever brakes.)

Louis

maunahaole
04-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Drive to Chester, CT. There is a Church there and some say if you place your frame over your head and kneel at the bird bath in the back of the yard and place the Holy Water on yourself in the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit, then rub some onto the bosses, you might find the salvation you seek. Bring Twizzlers and good 1970's pron too.

Good luck, my prayers are with you and yours.

:beer:

A glimpse at Nirvana:

There's another guy in Chester, too? That whole ritual sounds waaaay to catholic for Richie.