PDA

View Full Version : OT: Earthquake - High Sierra Style!

taylorj
04-24-2008, 06:25 PM
We are rocking and rolling here in Tahoe/Reno corridor! Last 10 minutes we have had 5 noticable ones where my computer screen practically shook itself silly! 4.1 was the latest and the fault line is right underneath us! I lived through the 1989 quake in SF. Pretty intense. I just came back "buzzed" from a long afternoon spin into California, so I wasn't sure if the earth was moving because I was full of endorphins or what, but my small hound who comes with me everyday to work, jumped in my lap for safety. Woo Hoo! :banana:

Gonna toast the quaking earth with a nice Leffe blonde this evening! :beer:

Kirk007
04-24-2008, 06:42 PM
hold on!

taylorj
04-24-2008, 06:44 PM
hold on!

They just up'ed it on the USGS to a 4.2!

sellsworth
04-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Gonna toast the quaking earth with a nice Leffe blonde this evening! :beer:

Dang, I didn't feel any of them today. I was up at Tahoe most of the day. But I'll join you in toasting the quakes!

swoop
04-24-2008, 09:34 PM
not to be all selfish... but i hope this doesn't travel down the fault my way. i'm on the 16th floor and i know someday i'm going to die naked in one of those damn quakes.
god forbid they ever happen when i'm not in the shower or asleep.

grrrrrrr.

i hope all the bikes stayed up in your garage and that the doggy is cool.

M.Sommers
04-24-2008, 09:41 PM
1974, instant classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKiApY_U3kA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ilmZVxsHUU

I mean George Kennedy saved the world in the 70's along with Chuck Heston, add Ava Garnder, Richard Roundtree and a HOT Genevieve Bujold (plus the city of Los Angeles) and you have something going on.

eddief
04-24-2008, 09:44 PM
they're fine, but the fumes can kill ya.

taylorj
04-28-2008, 04:50 PM
4.7 on Friday night---and just a plethora of 3.0 + all weekend long. Like over 200 earthquakes in the last few days---many over 4.0! sellsworth, you missed the action while you were riding the Wildflower in Chico. It's been a wild rocking and rolling time! I grew up in San Francisco/NorCal---so really this stuff is nothing. But the locals are getting pretty antsy. My small hound is the only one I worry about---she jumps right on my head when the ground tremors in the middle of the night. Then she shakes like mad and won't let me sleep.

Funny thing is that when you are out riding a bike, you don't even feel it. Course the earth always "moves" for me when I am pedaling---ha!

Rock and Roll!

sellsworth
04-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Funny thing is that when you are out riding a bike, you don't even feel it. Course the earth always "moves" for me when I am pedaling---ha!

Rock and Roll!

My brother was riding on Mt. Hamilton during the Loma Prieta quake in 1989 and didn't feel a thing!

I'm bummed that I haven't felt a single quake in this swarm. There was a 4.2 this morning around 4:30 am and I slept right through it. I guess that I was wiped from the Wildflower. I hear that the local Home Depots have been swamped with people looking for items to secure bookshelves, cabinets, etc. An interesting aspect of this swarm is that there hasn't been much historical activity in the Mogul area. Here's a map:

http://www.seismo.unr.edu/ftp/pub/papers/renoeq/figure3.pdf

taylorj
04-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Sinclair is right in Verdi (next to Mogul), and I live right near Sommerset. So the epicenter(s) are like 2K from me at all times. I certainly felt Loma Prieta (I was in my car then---not on a bike). But you don't feel the earthquakes when you are pedaling. Bikes are just cool that way...kinda like surfing the perfect wave; when you just become one with the earth.

But these earthquakes are pretty over-the-top in Northwest Reno! I'm sure there will be more. I'm thinking I may have ocean-front property soon!! Or maybe Lake-front property. Make it a shorter ride to Tahoe! :banana: