PDA

View Full Version : And lastly.........the Kirk

dave thompson
09-19-2004, 12:40 PM
It breaks my heart to do this, but my Kirk is offered up for sale. Because I can focus only on one thing at a time, and a personal issue is consuming huge amounts of my time, I am backing out of bicycling. I've sold most everything and the Terraplane (what a name!) is amongst the last (and best) I have.

I would love to be able to hang it on the wall and call it 'art', which to me it is. But it has served me well, has many, many more miles to go and deserves a very good home.

I prefer to sell the frameset only, (frame fork and Dura Ace headset) though I will entertain selling as a complete Dura Ace triple equipped bike.

The Kirk was built for me last year, it was Dave Kirk's first bike for a customer. I had the extreme pleasure of spending the better part of two days with Dave while we talked, rode, talked, measured, talked and drafted the frame. It's built entirely of Reynolds 725, including the fork,with lugs hand cut by Dave. I sent the bike back to Dave earlier this year to have the "Terraplane" curved set stay installed and fresh paint. It's topped off with fabulous custom paint by Joe Bell, which in his own words; "I took extra time and care with your frame because I wanted to make sure it was "Puss". I didn't want any excuse for a less than excellent job."

The measurements are: seat tube 59.5
top tube 59
chain stay 41.5
bottom bracket drop 8cm
rake 4.3
trail 5.9
seat tube angle and head tube angle 73*
head tube extension 3cm

This is a wonderful bike that is extremely comfortable, yet fast and a good climber (better than its' owner). You can see more pictures of the Kirk here: http://www.bikefanclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php?si=&perpage=24&sort=2&cat=500&ppuser=45&friendemail=email@yourfriend.com&password=

If you need more information or pictures, please e-mail me directly. davetspokane1@comcast.net Asking $1400.00.

Larry
09-20-2004, 06:55 AM
Dave,

How tall are you?
What is your weight?
What is your height...... pubic bone to floor?

Larry

gasman
09-21-2004, 05:10 PM
I hope your health is OK and if it isn't that everything turns out well for you.

stackie
09-21-2004, 09:00 PM
Dave,

I don't know you other than your postings on this forum, and I don't know your personal situation. However, I would strongly urge you to reconsider.

You have the first Kirk built for a customer and it is obviously very special to you. It's a special thing and you should keep it. Sure, if you're going to be homeless, sell it. But, otherwise, keep it. I truly believe you'll regret it if you sell this bike.

I hope I have not offended you and I wish you the best in your personal matters.

Jon

Dekonick
09-21-2004, 09:32 PM
Dave - I agree. Please dont sell this bike. I do not know what your circumstances are, but if there is any way possible for you to keep the bike, I submit that you should.

I hope all works out for you in the end.

BumbleBeeDave
09-22-2004, 06:49 AM
. . . I’m not interested in buying the bike, but as a fellow member of the “Dave Club” I wish you the best of luck with whatever issues you may be dealing with! :) :)

BBDave

Sandy
09-22-2004, 08:00 AM
Since I was born in December of 1940, and you were born in October of 1941, you must respect my opinion, as I am your senior with so much greater experience in life.

Your personal issue,whatever it is, not only is consuming large amounts of your time, but must also be causing an accompanying emotional, and perhaps physical toll. Perhaps keeping one bike or a couple of your favorite bikes, like the Kirk, would be most beneficial to you. First, you could ride a bike if you have the inclination, and secondly, without a bike, it will be harder to start back to enjoy that which cycling offers you.

One needs those activities which help balance the difficulties that we all must endure in our life. Cycling undoubtedly helps negate, in both physical and emotional ways, the negative effects of your personal problem. Perhaps cycling would help you, due to its beneficial characteristics, to lessen the negativity of the problem.

When my mother was dying of cancer, I spent a lot of time at her apartment during her last few weeks. When I would go on a bike ride, I would feel guilty, but a nurse, from hospice care, told me that I should ride, because that is something that I needed.

Perhaps you would find it a little easier to cope with your personal problem if cycling was still a part of your life. Perhaps you might try a ride or two before you let those last bikes go.

I aplogize to you if I have entered an area best left alone.

Sandy

Tom Byrnes
09-22-2004, 10:13 AM
Like Stackie (aka Dr. Jon) and BBDave have already aptly stated, I too wish you the very best in dealing with whatever issues you are confronting. Given your very active participation and interest in cycling and your quick sale of so many cycling items, I assume that something serious has suddenly arisen in your life.

For whatever comfort it may be, please know that there are many, many members of the "Dave Club" who wish you and your family the very best.

And like our wise Sandy and Stackie have already stated, I apologize if I am commenting on an area that I shouldn't.

Tom

SBash
09-22-2004, 10:47 AM
Let the "Dave Club" RULE!!! Hey, at 52 can I be in it? DO NOT SELL THE KIRK!!!

SB

christian
09-22-2004, 11:05 AM
Aw, stop telling him to keep it. Instead, buy it, ride it, treat it with love and compassion, and sell it back to Dave when he wants it again, at the price you paid. Best of both world's -- Dave gets what he wants, you get a nice bike to ride, and the frame stays in the family.

I'd offer to do the same (hell, it almost even fits me), but I can't afford it, having bought the Merckx.

- Christian

Tony Edwards
09-22-2004, 12:18 PM
Dave: I hope all is well (or at least not TOO bad), and I hope that if you do sell your Kirk, you have the opportunity and desire to buy it back sooner rather than later.

I have purchased a much more pedestrian frameset from Dave, and he is a great guy and has the bikes packed like plutonium fuel rods for shipping. I'd buy this if it were a bit bigger and I had the money to spare (I don't).

TomP
09-22-2004, 01:05 PM
I hope I am not out of line.

Can we start a "collection" to make it easier for Dave to keep the Kirk. Count me in for $100.

Sandy
09-22-2004, 02:55 PM
Perhaps the problem is not a financial one at all.

Sandy

alembical
09-22-2004, 03:32 PM
Not to openly speculate too much about a beloved forumite, but the prices are real reasonable and not being sold at Ebay (which would likely lead to higher prices) so I doubt that finances are the reason. The interesting thing is that he is preferably selling frame only which might mean the components are for something else. I can see getting rid of some bikes when you have a collection like that, especially if they are not being ridden like they deserve, and for that I applaud him. It must be tough to do, but for whatever reason, he is doing it, and trying to see that they find good homes, rather than just going to the highest bidder. Good luck with everything Dave and hopefully we will see still see you around here some. If I could afford it, I would love to buy that Kirk and make it available to you if you ever want it back, but because of my present situation, I can not do that.

Alembical

dave thompson
09-22-2004, 04:47 PM
the Kirk is sold.