PDA

View Full Version : refurb old Trek questions

eddief
09-19-2004, 10:44 AM
I have my eye on a vintage lugged Trek. This was born in an era prior to my interest in bikes. I could leave it as vintage or modernize.

A couple refurb questions:

1. If this was a 6 speed, will I be able to spread the rear stays to accept new 9 speed parts?

2. If I want to change out the 27 inch wheels for 700c, will modern normal reach or long reach dual pivot calipers work? What about the recessed mounting bolts on new calipers?

coylifut
09-19-2004, 11:03 AM
I have a 1980 Trek (I have it that long as well) with columbus tubes that I use as a fixe. Yes, you can spread the rear triangle to use modern spacing. A long reach caliper (desinged for 700c) on a 27 inch bike wont reach a 700c wheel. However, an old Mafac center pull would work. I can't state this for certain, but the Treks made from columbus and 531 were 700c bikes. You are most likely looking at one of the less expensive models made from Isiwata. I don't think it would made a great modern conversion, it would make a great fixe though.

This page has catalogues that you can down load and other useful information

http://www.vintage-trek.com/

gdw
09-19-2004, 04:59 PM
I have a 1984 Trek 500 that I switched from 27in. wheels to 700c. A set of long reach (47-57mm) side pull brakes were all that was needed. I use it for exploring dirt roads and trails and have plently of tire clearance with Ritchey 30mm Speedmax cross tires.

bubba
09-19-2004, 05:27 PM
A long reach caliper (desinged for 700c) on a 27 inch bike wont reach a 700c wheel.

http://www.vintage-trek.com/Sometimes even the pads on a 27" bike will reach 700c wheels. It depends on the ammount of downward adjustment latitude in the pads.You only need 4-5mm.FWIW, there are 3 reaches availaable in current calipers, short(the current standard) standard and long. Long could be too long and standard might be all he needs, if what he has comes up short.

eddief
09-19-2004, 05:27 PM
were you able to find long reach brakes that would fit the original bolt holes or did you drill out the holes to accept recessed hex head bolts?

bubba
09-19-2004, 05:31 PM
I have a 1984 Trek 500 that I switched from 27in. wheels to 700c. A set of long reach (47-57mm) side pull brakes were all that was needed. I use it for exploring dirt roads and trails and have plently of tire clearance with Ritchey 30mm Speedmax cross tires.That might be considered standard,as there are also 53-71 and 61-78 available.

coylifut
09-19-2004, 06:47 PM
I stand corrected. I grabed an old campy caliper (standard for 1980) and hung it from a Raliegh 27 inch bike after I inserted a 700c wheel before I answerd. It wouldn't reach. As other posters pointed out, there may be brakes with a longer reach. If you are in need of non recessed caliper, use an old caliper. The ones from the early 80s use a regular fastener and don't require a recess on the fork. My old Campy calipers stop just as well as anything modern. Well, besides my 2004 Dura Ace brakes. The nice thing about an old lugged Trek frame is that it'll have clearance and eyelets for full fenders. Have fun.

froze
09-20-2004, 12:54 AM
I own a 84 Trek 660, which I also bought new back then; I converted it from 27' to 700 wheels with no problems. My sidepull brake calipers were only medium or standard reach, and they just barely reached but worked. So I would suggest that you take the bike to an LBS, and have them put on a front 700 rim and tire and see if the current brakes will reach before you jump on a new set of brakes.

And yes, your bike will accept the 9 speed set up but why? I went from 6 speed rear to a 7 speed rear and kept my friction downtube setup. I did most of my bike riding up until this last January in the California mountains with just 14 speeds and never "wished" for more gears...and I'm over 50!

And some Treks did not have eyelets for fenders, especially the 460, 560, 660 and 760; these were all racing frames and they did not have any eyelets for fenders-BUT that does not mean you can't get fenders; SKS makes fenders for eyeletless frames, as does few others.