PDA

View Full Version : Tied and Solder wheels - available retail?

Grant McLean
04-24-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm constantly amazed by competitive cyclist!

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=CATEGORY_VIEW&CATEGORY.ID=2077&MODE=NONAV&utm_source=eblast&utm_medium=email&utm_content=offer%2Bbox&utm_campaign=2008%2BTied%2BSoldered%2BWheels

Offer everyone the cool stuff. Why not? These guys are brilliant.

-g

swoop
04-24-2008, 09:27 AM
the thinking man's bike shop. i've been meaning to send a lever in for a re-build.

tbushnel
04-24-2008, 09:39 AM
I thought you were supposed to ride the wheels for a bit before you tied and soldered them. Sort letting the spokes settle in or something. I got that ad email too and thought it interesting/appealing.
ted.

R2D2
04-24-2008, 09:43 AM
I thought you were supposed to ride the wheels for a bit before you tied and soldered them. Sort letting the spokes settle in or something. I got that ad email too and thought it interesting/appealing.
ted.

+1. Nipples and spokes need to seat. Then true and tie and solder.

dekindy
04-24-2008, 10:03 AM
http://bikewiseoxford.com/page.cfm?pageID=71

Here is another source for custom wheels with a tie and solder option.

merckx
04-24-2008, 10:15 AM
I think some wheel builders that frequent this site can build these wheels for you, no?

coylifut
04-24-2008, 10:30 AM
i guess it's my turn to be the buzz wrecker for the day. these gotta be the most poser wheels i've seen to date. a tie a soler job on a set of clinchers?

DarrenCT
04-24-2008, 10:37 AM
i guess it's my turn to be the buzz wrecker for the day. these gotta be the most poser wheels i've seen to date. a tie a soler job on a set of clinchers?

just makes them more durable?

chrisroph
04-24-2008, 10:49 AM
i never t&s clinchers don't know why just don't. and i always ride the wheels a bit before doing the deed although if the wheel builds real nice there is no real reason to wait.

92degrees
04-24-2008, 10:51 AM
I usually dig their stuff but those wheels are 400g heavier and a couple hundred bucks more than a DT Swiss build from a popular builder.

benb
04-24-2008, 10:54 AM
So you wrap some wire around the crosses & solder it... ?

Sounds like an easy home job.. no need to pay big bucks for it.

Too Tall
04-24-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm constantly amazed by competitive cyclist!

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=CATEGORY_VIEW&CATEGORY.ID=2077&MODE=NONAV&utm_source=eblast&utm_medium=email&utm_content=offer%2Bbox&utm_campaign=2008%2BTied%2BSoldered%2BWheels

Offer everyone the cool stuff. Why not? These guys are brilliant.

-g

Great people at CC

Dave B
04-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Great people at CC

+1 I have always had great times with those folks.

shinomaster
04-24-2008, 12:30 PM
i never t&s clinchers don't know why just don't. and i always ride the wheels a bit before doing the deed although if the wheel builds real nice there is no real reason to wait.

Maybe when you start racing Paris Roubaix you'll need to?

e-RICHIE
04-24-2008, 12:33 PM
coylifut is a genius. follow his advice atmo.

Richard is a genius. Follow his advice.

shinomaster
04-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Terry are you saying Chris should tie his NEutrons instead?

benb
04-24-2008, 12:45 PM
I can't understand why it would make any difference whether you tie & solder a clincher vs. a tubular...

But FWIW when I did a search to look up if there was any special technique to this.. first thing I find is Jobst Brandt's text on his engineering experiment which showed no measureable difference in a wheel after it was Tied & Soldered.

72gmc
04-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Is T&S really going to be a benefit to the average rider training for centuries on average crappy roads? I mean, aside from the obvious hard man for the classics coolness. My cool brain and my practical brain are not connecting on this one.

vaxn8r
04-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I can't understand why it would make any difference whether you tie & solder a clincher vs. a tubular...

But FWIW when I did a search to look up if there was any special technique to this.. first thing I find is Jobst Brandt's text on his engineering experiment which showed no measureable difference in a wheel after it was Tied & Soldered.
There's your answer. It doesn't make any measurable difference. But if you ride cool guy tubies it adds the little extra something to the cool factor. T&S on clinchers? They're utilitarian not cool. Mixed metaphors.

Michael Maddox
04-24-2008, 01:10 PM

I found that, too. For those of you interested, here's Mr. Brandt:

http://yarchive.net/bike/tying-and-soldering.html

bigbill
04-24-2008, 01:18 PM
I had a set of tied and soldered wheels. DA hubs with 330 rims that I used in road races in upstate SC where the roads were usually in poor condition. I still have the rear wheel, the front was broken into five pieces in a pile-up. I agree with other posters, tied and soldered is something you do on tubular wheelsets used on epic rides or races. 99.5% of the riding public doesn't need them. Most recreational riders wouldn't even recognize it so it doesn't even offer a bling factor.

Sasha18
04-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Say what you will about TS'ing, but that description is genius. Someone at CC really enjoys their job. The link to Ullrich's descent is great. I really appreciate their text writer. If you haven't already, check out their description of the belgium knee warmers bottle or the Campy red shift levers. Classic stuff.

tv_vt
04-24-2008, 02:02 PM
I t & s'd a rear wheel a few years ago. It was a DA 32 hub, Open Pro clincher rim, and Revolution spokes, 3x. I'd been using the wheel for several years and it was beginning to creak. I think the spokes were flexing at the cross junctions. (I weigh 180.) Anyway, bought some thin wire (forget what kind) and some silver solder and used my old slot car soldering iron. Worked fine. And it did: 1)quiet the wheel down and 2)made it a little bit stiffer.

TV

dirtdigger88
04-24-2008, 02:06 PM
without even getting into the "whys" of T&S-

why are these wheels so heavy-

my DA/DT1.1 wheelset comes in much closer to 1650 grams- not 1800 grams-

mine have the same spoke count and same size of spokes

the T&S can't add THAT much weight to them????

whats up with that-

Jason

jthurow
04-24-2008, 02:22 PM
the extra mojo from the T&S adds 150 grams... who knew mojo weighed so much?

jimi

chrisroph
04-24-2008, 04:47 PM
jobst has lots of opinions some good some bad but t & s makes a difference

chrisroph
04-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Maybe when you start racing Paris Roubaix you'll need to?

silly boy i wouldn't do pr on clinchers!

Grant McLean
04-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Say what you will about TS'ing, but that description is genius. Someone at CC really enjoys their job.

+1

that's really why i linked it.

It also makes me smile that something as 'old school' as T&S can be added
to a web shopping cart, and clicked to check out. The juxtaposition of that is cool.
Some sacred cows of the world of cycling get exploded by the 'net,
and others are now available to all. Whadda world!

-g

Fixed
04-24-2008, 09:20 PM
I had a set of tied and soldered wheels. DA hubs with 330 rims that I used in road races in upstate SC where the roads were usually in poor condition. I still have the rear wheel, the front was broken into five pieces in a pile-up. I agree with other posters, tied and soldered is something you do on tubular wheelsets used on epic rides or races. 99.5% of the riding public doesn't need them. Most recreational riders wouldn't even recognize it so it doesn't even offer a bling factor.

most cats will not know what you have 330's are cool