PDA

View Full Version : Bobke II

mtflycaster
01-05-2004, 05:19 PM
Anybody read and recommend Bob Roll's new book, Bobke II??

Pete

dave thompson
01-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Have both Bobke I and II. Bobke I is better in that it has pictures and letters to the Editor (of VeloNews where Roll originally wrote the articles that became the book). That said, reading Roll's accounts of the pro peloton and his MTB racing is a hoot! I have a lot more respect for him now, because he worked like a dog to support his team mates with little complaining.

I think Bob Roll is an unreconstructed hippie and/or a Hell's Angel. Buy the book and enjoy.

Keith A
01-06-2004, 10:36 AM
Dave -- I thought I saw that you sold your Bobke I.

I received the Bobke II as a Christmas gift and haven't started reading it yet. My kids really get a kick out of Bob Roll with all of the hand gestures he uses when he talks.

BigMac
01-06-2004, 04:18 PM
Dave T:

While it is true that Bob does have a keen sense of humor and does not take himself toooo seriously, he would in fact take offense to the "unreconstructed hippie" analogy. Young Bob is a native San Diegan and like most such folk is a devout political conservative, in fact he refers to himself as a Liberatarian. The "hippie" term, at least in a traditional sense, would seem quite the opposite.

I am very happy for his success although as an avid reader I must confess I have never, likely will never, read any of his "works". He is as funny and self-depricating in person as he appears on the tube. While he's a bit too far to right even for a conservative such as I, I do like the young man and am happy to call him a friend. I am going to email him a link to your comment...he'll get a kick out of it I am sure.

Ride on!

dave thompson
01-06-2004, 07:35 PM
..now I'm in trouble with Bob Roll! That's the last thing I need on my plate. Maybe he'll autograph his knuckle sandwich to me. My "hippie" comment came from the 'wild-eyed' pics in Bobke I and his apparent free-wheeling-take-no-prisoners mind. Perhaps if I paid more attention to what I was reading (it's hard when reading Roll and laughing so much) I should have called him an unreconstructed libertarian.

Keith A: I did sell a copy of Bobke I, I have another.

Brian
01-08-2004, 03:19 PM
I received Bobke II as a gift. The first 65-75% is a re-print of Bobke I! I was pissed.

The only new thing in Bobke II worth reading is his description of the week he and Lance spent in Boone, NC during Lance's comeback. But the Boone story is pretty much common knowledge, so it wasn't much of a surprise.

If someone has a copy of Bobke II they want to loan you, then give it a read. But I wouldn't waste the money on my own copy.