PDA

View Full Version : OT: Apple iPhone inside information???

SoCalSteve
04-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Hi all,

I really want an iPhone. But, I have a feeling the moment I buy one, the current version will be discontinued and a much faster-smaller-sleeker-better-faster-better version will come out and for the same price...

Does anyone know when the next generation iPhone is going to be released? I know it will capable of working with the 3G network, beyond that does anyone know what else it will have-be capable of doing?

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

saab2000
04-22-2008, 07:38 PM
I would expect software upgrades before hardware upgrades. There will be some significant software upgrades coming in about June.

Pete Serotta
04-22-2008, 07:46 PM
I am reading mid summer . Chasing the latest can be frustrating for there will always be something faster, lighter, cheaper, and have more features.

BUT I do not know and others on west coast or in the industry probably have a better idea. PETE

Jeff Weir
04-22-2008, 07:53 PM
The next version of the iPhone is due out in June/July, along with software updates for the current version. It is supposed to be 3G. Be prepared to pay list price. (just teasing you Stevie!!!)

terrytnt
04-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Steve, I'm precisely in the same place... I've made the decision to purchase an iPhone but only the next version 3G with sufficient memory to replace my ipod.

To this end, I'm prepared to wait until it's release and from all my searching on the web, the best guess is early to mid-summer. With of course the caveat that any small glitch will push back the launch date.

My guess is we'll have the new iPhone by July... and yes it will cost more bucks!!! So what's new!!!

mavic1010
04-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Early June and yes it will be different.

SoCalSteve
04-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Early June and yes it will be different.

Please tell us what will be different about it?

Thanks,

Steve

Jack Brunk
04-22-2008, 09:34 PM
June 16th

markie
04-22-2008, 09:39 PM
There will be updates mid-summer. Most certainly GPS, no guarantee on G3. The memory will increase. The price should stay the same. (traditionally apple likes to keep to its price points)....

avalonracing
04-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Please tell us what will be different about it?

Thanks,

Steve

It will make everything in your life perfect! :)

Seriously though, I don't know about the next one about I got my iPhone early on and the honeymoon is far from over. I still love it and would buy it again in a second.

pdxmech13
04-22-2008, 09:44 PM
my inside friend their says may/june....some apps have been available such as the new web provider.

SoCalSteve
04-22-2008, 09:47 PM
It will make everything in your life perfect! :)
Seriously though, I don't know about the next one about I got my iPhone early on and the honeymoon is far from over. I still love it and would buy it again in a second.

I'll take 2 then...

SoCalSteve
04-22-2008, 09:49 PM
my inside friend their says may/june....some apps have been available such as the new web provider.

And, is it a whole new phone? Different size? 3G network capable? Will it make everything in my life perfect?

Inquiring minds wanna know...

Thanks!

Steve

legacysti888
04-22-2008, 10:11 PM
I own an unlocked 8GB iphone with T-Mobile as my carrier.. Methinks it's hunky dory.. not the fastest..but when you are connected to wifi, youtube screams.. otherwise, GSM/Edge is fine for most use.
Its a great phone and I get great battery life as well. If you are on T-Mobile, you have unlimited access to the internet for $5.99, which is the main reason why I had it unlocked. :D

shoe
04-22-2008, 11:52 PM
fyi - if you are like me and think you don't need the rubber cover think again...cracked the glass on concrete the second week...luckily the tape holding it together is doing an awesome job..patiently waiting # 2's release..dave

scrubadub
04-23-2008, 02:27 AM
I really want an iPhone *now*, especially since my Treo is on the fritz, but I figure I can resist for a few months to be on the cutting edge for a little bit. That plus I'm waiting for the flood of software to come starting in June.

Then again, I'm also waiting for the next iteration of the Macbook Pro... that's the problem with technology. We all want the latest and greatest, and we're willing to pay (with money and the time sorting out the kinks).

avalonracing
04-23-2008, 07:36 AM
fyi - if you are like me and think you don't need the rubber cover think again...cracked the glass on concrete the second week...luckily the tape holding it together is doing an awesome job..patiently waiting # 2's release..dave

Some people drop their phones a lot. I have friends who drop them everyday. Personally, I love the tactile feel of the phone without the cover. Then again, maybe I'm looking for an excuse to get a new one :rolleyes:

false_Aest
04-23-2008, 08:29 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

try these. links should still work.

saab2000
04-23-2008, 09:23 AM
How long is their exclusive AT&T agreement in place? That agreement is one of the reasons the iPhone is a 'must have' instead of a 'already have'.

SoCalSteve
04-23-2008, 09:37 AM
How long is their exclusive AT&T agreement in place? That agreement is one of the reasons the iPhone is a 'must have' instead of a 'already have'.

I heard 5 years and what do you mean? Is ATT service good or bad?

Please explain.

Thanks,

Steve

saab2000
04-23-2008, 09:43 AM
I heard 5 years and what do you mean? Is ATT service good or bad?

Please explain.

Thanks,

Steve

Well, I am happier with Alltel than I was with AT&T. Fewer dropped calls and generally better reception. That said, I was not really unhappy with AT&T either. They were basically OK. But I mean I would like to have the iPhone and my choice of carriers. Many folks I know would possibly get one, but they are Verizon customers and are either happy with Verizon and don't want to switch when they could or don't want to pay the early termination fee.

If I could get an iPhone with Alltel I likely would.

IXXI
04-23-2008, 09:44 AM
wait for v2. i've had 3 new iphones-- buggy software, buggy everything. i am a huge apple fan and know the iphone is where all phones will likely go (in my world) but the first release has been really disappointing. hard to show it off to friends when its frozen yet again.

rphetteplace
04-23-2008, 12:43 PM
I could tell you guys, but then I'd have to kill you :banana:

pdmtong
04-29-2008, 06:43 PM
http://techland.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/04/29/att-to-cut-the-price-of-apples-new-iphone/

shoe
04-30-2008, 12:35 AM
alright more on the i phone durability test...follow up-dropped it on concrete after 2 weeks..now the fractured glass is held together by tape...this morning i was looking for my phone...standing at the beach putting my wetsuit gloves on - look down and see my phone next to my surfboard at the waters edge..huh...this weekend...bunny hopping a manhole cover....here this random noise and figure i better go back and check...oops my phone fell out of my pocket...and slid along the street....i don't know why i am so cruel to it and it still finds it's way back to my hands...i will be accepting rubber covers for the phone come next x-mas(hint hint)....dave

dvancleve
04-30-2008, 01:01 PM
My wife and I both have iPhones and haven't had any memorable issues with either of them. I think I had to power mine down once when it wouldn't connect to anything, but that is it. Haven't really had any issues with AT&T either.

Doug

wait for v2. i've had 3 new iphones-- buggy software, buggy everything. i am a huge apple fan and know the iphone is where all phones will likely go (in my world) but the first release has been really disappointing. hard to show it off to friends when its frozen yet again.