PDA

View Full Version : Care of new OttrottST and a couple problems

equipoised
09-18-2004, 07:02 AM
I took delivery on an Ottrott ST yesterday. This is my first bike with carbon and titanium. How best to care for the finish? I assume I can care for clear-coated carbon like any other painted tube, but what should I use to remove smudges and protect the unpainted titanium finish?

The chainstay guard curls at the ends and pulls right off. The LBS builder prepped the stay (unpainted matte titanium with reverse decal) with alcohol before applying the protector. He said they all peel right off. Poor adhesive I guess. Disappointing in a bike that came in just under 10K with the components (Dura Ace 10, ITM K-Sword stem/bar, Zipp 404s, Speedplay Zeros). My 1999 Lemond Maillot Jeune has a perfected bonded clear chainstay guard that is nearly invisible and in perfect condition after 5000 miles. Serotta didn't answer my email on this.

Do I even need a chainstay guard with an unpainted titanium stay with no decals? If so, any recommendations? Bike Saver tape from Colorado Cyclist no longer shows up on their website.

Also, Serotta forgot the pump pegs I ordered and which were clearly indicated on the invoice. The LBS deducted the $50 charge, but again disappointing. I've always used frame pumps and this is the first bike I've had without pegs, although I've noticed few stock frames seem to ship with pump pegs these days. Anyway, I guess I'll keep the bike as is and try to find a pump that fits (top tube seems to be between large and medium pump length) and haold it with velcro strap.

Ahneida Ride
09-18-2004, 07:21 AM
No Pump peg and it was on the order ?

Send it back. I would be furious if this happend to me.
I wanna pump peg period. $50 off is not worth it. You loose
the frame pump option.

I will not ride without a pump and make it a Zefal.

After two years, my plastic chain stay protector is still in great
shape. Use pledge to clean the Ti.

The bike should be delivered in flawless condition, mine was.

Bruce K
09-18-2004, 07:24 AM
E-

I would ask your LBS for another chainstay guard as I have never heard of one peeling off of an Ottrott.

As for the pump peg it's not what's on your invoice from the LBS it's what was on the order sheet you signed off on. If it wasn't on that then Serotta wouldn't have done it. My Ottrott doesn't have pump pegs because I forgot to ask for them.

The straps from Performance with the foam pad built in work great with a frame pump slung under the top tube. This is what I do when I travel and can't bring CO2 with me (I can't bring myself to buy cartridges and throw them away).

I use Pedro's Bike Lust to keep the Ottrott looking it's best.

BK

Michael Katz
09-18-2004, 07:30 AM
I also have an Ottrott ST with unpainted ti. The carbon is tinted with clear over it. General cleaning for both is identical. For light cleaning, you can use your favorite polish like Bike Lust or Pledge. Just keep turning the rag so that dirt that is picked up doesn't scratch the finish. For heavier grime, plain old liquid dish soap and water followed with your favorite polish works great. Keep the rag real wet and turn occasionally to again avoid scratching. If you get a scratch in the ti, you can use a Scotch Brite pad, very fine grade, to buff out the scratch on polished ti finishes. It is critical, however, that you move the pad in the same direction as the grain on the tube (i.e. around the tube and not along its length) and be gentle. Scratches will literally disappear. Apply some polish afterwards and it's as good as new. Scratches on the clear coated carbon are another matter. Can fill them in with clear model paint or nail polish but the scratch will remain visible on close inspection. Tinted carbon is even worse in this regard. As to the chainstay guard, I've yet to see one that doesn't detract from the ti's appearance. If your chain length is properly adjusted for your chainstay length and gearing, there should be no chainslap. Scratches from dropping the chain can be buffed out as described above. Finally, don't lean your bike up against something that is not secure and practice on a beater bike throwing your body between your bike and the ground in the event of a crash and you should be fine! :) Most important, just ride the hell out of your Ottrott and enjoy it! :banana: :banana:

hypnos
09-18-2004, 07:39 AM
The local Serotta dealer never showed me the order sheet for my frame. I was too ignorant to ask. I signed only a sales invoice.

equipoised
09-18-2004, 07:43 AM
I did get a copy of the order sheet that was faxed to Serotta and the pump peg option was clearly checked. Serotta and all their quality control guys just missed it.

Michael Katz
09-18-2004, 07:49 AM
As to the lack of pump pegs, if they were listed on the spec sheet that Serotta had you sign off on before your frame was built, then it is clearly their fault and you are entitled to have Serotta take the frame back and fix it. If it was not on the spec sheet but was on some other document that was just between you and your dealer, Serotta's obligation is a bit murkier but I would talk to them about it. Your dealer should have listed the pump pegs on the fit sheet/order form that was sent to Serotta. If your dealer did that but Serotta failed to list them on the spec sheet, then both your dealer and Serotta screwed up - Serotta by not listing it on the spec sheet and your dealer by not catching that the spec sheet was not in conformity with the fit sheet/order form. From a personal perspective - and this is just my own personal preference - I stopped carrying a pump and switched to CO2 long ago and will never go back. The CO2 is quite functional and convenient for me and I prefer the "pumpless" aethstetics. You may want to think about whether a change from your past practice may be worthwhile on a bike as cool and modern tech looking as an Ottrott. This, off course, begs the issue that you paid a ton of money for a custom bike and are entitled to "have it your way".

Kevan
09-18-2004, 08:15 AM
will do. Ask at a good hardware store for this stuff, it's basically the same stuff, it just needs to be cut to shape with scissors. Also, don't stretch the tape taut when applying it or it will want to curl back on itself. :D

If you call CC they might still have some of the stuff.

dbrk
09-18-2004, 08:26 AM
Okay, so an honest mistake with the missing pump peg. Send it back. Get it to your liking. I tell you, if this were missing and I really really wanted it (and I rarely can love a bike without a pump peg though I confess that I do in rare cases...) then every single time I looked at the bike I would miss and lament its absence. This is a regret you need not have. Fergit the fifty bucks and the added time and hassle. Serotta will likely pick up the shipping cost since this should imho cost you nothing: they go to all this trouble to get customers to sign off and be content with what they said was ordered and it's not our fault if you didn't ask and it's right there on the sheet, that they are also good enough souls to make this up without nary a whisper. After all, you did your part and Serotta always does theirs in return: this is one of the real beauties of this small company---and there are precious few out there, imho, as devoted to fulfilling their part of the bargain. BTW, the Ottrott is many things but it ain't no bargain and that's another reason I could not compromise on my own particularities. Don't be irked, mistakes happen, and get them to make it right for you.

dbrk
waiting for a little more warmth before going into the hills...the rain has finally stopped...Ivan? What was that? It rained darn hard here all day and all night for the past two...

Climb01742
09-18-2004, 08:28 AM
caveman, if it was on the ordersheet, and serotta missed it, i'd bet anything ben himself would want you to send the bike back. ben deeply, personally cares about quality control and happy owners. he'll do right by you, i'm 100% sure of that. hopefully, you'll ride the ottrott many many years...get the pump peg!!!!!! :beer:

Blastinbob
09-18-2004, 08:36 AM
Here is a link to clear-guard , a company that will sell you the material to make you own "anything" protectors for a fraction of the cost of buying them pre-cut . 3m clearguard tape (http://www.clear-guard.com/bulkmaterial.asp)

Sandy
09-18-2004, 08:38 AM
I really am a Serotta addict, in so many ways. I love the bikes, admire Ben Serotta, Kelly Bedford, and the "Serotta family"- both the employess and forum members, but I really think that quality control simply allows too many errors in production to occur. Perhaps I am wrong, but I think that Quality Control needs better quality control, and that it is not said in a disrespectful manner. Perhaps we hear only about items that get by QC and don't hear about those bikes that are done perfectly. But I do wonder.

Wandering and wondering, wonderfully wondering, woefully wandering,

Sandman

Kevan
09-18-2004, 08:43 AM
with some clothes on there buddy...

:D

Sandy
09-18-2004, 08:48 AM
Thanks for your suggestions on how to take care of an Ottrott. I will use them for my bike.

Anyone- Does Serotta really charge $50 extra for pump pegs?

Equipoised- I agree with the other posters. You are certainly entitled to receive the bike as it was ordered, per the spec sheet.

Sandy

equipoised
09-18-2004, 09:35 AM
I really appreciate all the excellent advice. I didn't expect so many responses so fast. Thank you! Great forum.

Not sure yet what I'll do on the pegs. I did buy a tiny CO2 inflater last night. My LBS is going to call Serotta and see what the turn around time would be on the pump pegs if I send it back.

FierteTi52
09-18-2004, 09:58 AM
Beautiful bike! Although Serotta missed the pump peg, I think the clutter of a frame pump would detract from the bike's clean lines. Go Co2 and enjoy the clean looking bike.
Jeff

Kevin
09-18-2004, 10:08 AM
Great looking bike. If you wanted a bike with a pump peg send it back. If you don't send it back it will drive you crazy. I sent my first Ottrott back and I love the second one.

Kevin

Michael Katz
09-18-2004, 10:10 AM
While you have every right to be upset about the missing pegs and are entitled to have Serotta correct this, now that I see your bike, I am compelled to reiterate my earlier query of whether going pumpless might better fit the design and look of your bike. If it's a question of functionality, having ridden with and without a frame pump for years, I can assure you that CO2 works just great. If you carry a mini nozzle and 2 cartridges, you're set for just about any flat situation you will encounter during a ride. If it's a question of aethstetics, that's obviously purely personal and only you can decide. What a sharp bike though!

Ahneida Ride
09-18-2004, 11:56 AM
Hmmm.... Great bike, and the pump would detract greatly from it's inherent
beauty. MK is right. This is not a pump Bike.

But having said that, I still would not ride without a pump no matter how
Butt Ulgy :butt: it made the bike.

So it is your call, Aethetics or functionality.?

DBRD is right also. If you really want the peg, and don't sent it back,
it will haunt you every time you ride the bike.

Needs Help
09-18-2004, 12:44 PM
I just don't get it with all the mistakes. I think Sandy posted that Serotta made mistakes on both his Serottas. For whatever reason, the QC guys at Serotta are too bleary eyed to tell one bike's options from the next. What's the solution?

I think someone who orders a custom bike probably knows every detail of their new bike pretty intimately, and could spot a mistake from a mile away. Maybe before shipping, Serotta should send a couple of digital images to a new owner, so that the owner can do the QC. Heck, it would probably be a cheaper and more accurate way of doing it.

With the current state of affairs, I think new owners should call Serotta before they ship the bike and politely insist on going over the list of options with them to make sure the bike is as ordered.

Louis
09-18-2004, 01:55 PM
Blast,

Thanks for the link. What thickness do you use, 8 or 14 mil? Will the 14 bend enough for the chainstays?

Louis

Sandy
09-18-2004, 02:02 PM
speedy Serotta should look like. Very well done! It looks supersonic speedy, just sitting there.

Sandy

Kevan
09-18-2004, 03:28 PM
and I've got a metric century to do tomorrow. I went gaseous 2 seasons ago and in that time I've only used it once. Once.

I know how those little missed details eat at you, but you do have a realistic alternative.

'sides... think of the weight of the peg you're saving, keeping it off the bike! And the welding too! :D

tee...hee...

Back from the ride... and my little bottles of gas stayed warm in the back pocket the entire ride. I tuck the pump inside one of my shoes until I ride again; the method of storage keeps it from being left behind.

BumbleBeeDave
09-18-2004, 09:46 PM
. . . I really wanted to avoid having to be the one to tell you this--but I was riding behind you enough at TdFL to know that you were gaseous many, MANY times on the Saturday ride alone! :rolleyes:

As for the pump pegs, if it will truly eat at your soul, then send it back. I absotively, posolutely guarantee that Serotta will make it right. They are good people.

BBDave

chef_jmr
09-19-2004, 01:02 AM
I'll trade you my CSi with pump pegs for your peg-less Ottrott… You can keep the saddlebag, though… :confused:

I understand your disappointment as a consumer, as this has happened to all of us in some aspect of purchasing (not getting the option we wanted on the new car, etc…). But, as was said before, there are options. I've switched to the CO2 pump, and have not yet used it in two years, until tomorrow morning, damn it!!! knock on wood… [please, no flats… please, no flats…]

The best approach is to decide what YOU want, and let Serotta know about your decision. You must tell them either way so that this supposed "QC" problem can be addressed by Ben & Co., and it doesn't happen to me when I order my Ottrott. This is the solution for everyone involved, and not involved. It is our obligation as the consumer to keep the manufacturers on their toes and supply us with the best product for our $$$. Ben rocks, and won't do you wrong.

don't put on the pegs… it looks killer from here. 2¢

And Kevan, don't bring your gaseous device onto this coast. we've got our own geysers.

bostondrunk
09-19-2004, 03:03 PM
10k?? Ouch!!
Ouch!!!!!!!!
Nice looking bike though, very nice indeed.

It seems like there are a lot of posts about Serotta messing up decals, paint, options, etc.
For that price, they should not be making mistakes like that. But like others said, I would assume they would be agreeable to correcting the problem. Just that you'll be without your bike for a while... :crap: :crap: