PDA

View Full Version : Zen from Ben: Number 3.5 Just paint it!

BenSerotta
04-22-2008, 02:52 PM
What a fantastic morning to head out on the bike. The sun was up, it was already above freezing, blue skies, love that first short climb, maybe take this right over here and add a mile or two…yep, this descent gets the juices going….yea, this is a great way to start the day…as I came within a couple miles of Serotta World HQ I suddenly realized that I had not completed my Zen tasks…although the ride had otherwise been zen-like. In the last few minutes I assembled a great list of reasons that anyone would have forgiven my shortcomings:

1) We’re much too busy- I’d rather make sure we are delivering new bikes on time;
2) That new custom carbon aero bike steals my attention;
3) My best time for writing is in the evening;
4) The best time for drinking red wine is in the evening too- before, during and after each meal (my doctor approves);
5) Isn’t it more important to ride than talk about riding;
6) That new aero bike is too hot to concentrate on anything;
7) Red wine is great for your digestion too;
8) How many emails have I ignored today?;
9) After another 12 (or so) hour work day, I better try to chip away at those emails;
10) Making lists of deadlines and commitments works best while sipping red wine.

Pretty good list, no?

When someone misses their deadline to me, I make a point to try to extract some sort of penalty, inflict some kind of pain or suffering. So in fairness, I guess I need to make amends somehow for missing my deadline too. Tough choice. I know, I’ll bring pain and suffering upon myself by utilizing the “it’s my company and I can do this if I want to option” with regards to our NEW PAINT IT PROGRAM! The pain and suffering will be for me alone, I promise. You see, I promised my staff that I’d go along with their plan to release the program in a highly organized fashion. Tell our dealer base first. Do a press release with as much hype as surrounded the Pope’s visit to NYC and then post it on the Serotta web site. Instead, I’m going to give you the link first! It’s sure to really tick everyone here off. But hey, I have to make amends to you and besides, why be king if you can’t act like one from time to time?

http://www.serotta.com/paint/index.html

So here’s the link, have a ball. You didn’t plan on doing any real work today at your desk anyway. I’m sure you have that “I am really concentrating on this task” facial expression dialed. Minerva’s design team has outdone themselves and I guarantee you’ll love developing your own unique finish….

It’s a wrap.

jmeloy
04-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Ben, that is an outstanding tool for your customers. I'll be honest, I had placed Serotta in a certain category, versus some other offerings, in MY head and this really changes my perception. Way cool! Best comment.... it makes me want one!!
-JAM

false_Aest
04-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Pretty effin' rad'!

Bruce K
04-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Most excellent.

More toys to play with on line.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

BK

Dekonick
04-22-2008, 03:40 PM
So much for work...

Ahneida Ride
04-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Ben

This could create Problems ... :eek:

I want this color .... Nope that ... wait a second .... change the
seat tube decal .... and on and on :help:

The possibilities are endless.

A trully amazing piece of software engineering.

Nice Job .... THANKS !!!!

rnhood
04-22-2008, 05:07 PM
That's pretty darn creative and, very well executed. Nice work.

Charles M
04-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Ben

This could create Problems ... :eek:

I want this color .... Nope that ... wait a second .... change the
seat tube decal .... and on and on :help:

The possibilities are endless.

A trully amazing piece of software engineering.

Nice Job .... THANKS !!!!

Yeah,

But now it's our problem and not Serotta's :D

erm,

as much...

shinomaster
04-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Hey, that's pretty cool.

gasman
04-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Wow -way cool !!!

Peter P.
04-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Great idea, and excellent execution for the interactive web page! The more potential customers play with it, the more they'll want to buy one. Congratulations; your people obviously worked hard on this.

djg
04-22-2008, 07:15 PM
That's a cool utility -- I like it.

So . . . how long until somebody here complains?

big shanty
04-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Okay, Mr. Serotta...that is cool. I just spent 20 minutes on it. I now covet a Legend. You win!

Too Tall
04-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Benny and the Jets

Outstanding use of my inheritance ;)

William
04-22-2008, 07:32 PM
That was fun. The Race scheme looks like my Effin Cross Bike. Now I want to paint up a Meivici in the race scheme, outfit it for cross, and jump it over some logs.

Just cause...

Outstanding!

William

Ahneida Ride
04-22-2008, 08:48 PM
That was fun. The Race scheme looks like my Effin Cross Bike. Now I want to paint up a Meivici in the race scheme, outfit it for cross, and jump it over some logs.

William

Oh Goodie ... William is ordering a Meivici. Now I have one to demo. :banana:

Smiley
04-22-2008, 09:15 PM
None of you clones are picking up on the subliminal message about the new Carbon Aero bike. Geez, this is like a popcorn ad in a movie theater.

BoulderGeek
04-23-2008, 12:23 AM
That's a nice addition to the web site!

AND, it works great on my Linux box! Something that never fails to please me.

So nice to see developers coding to standards, instead of that junk that M1^*0$oft produces.

Well played, I say.

Pete Serotta
04-23-2008, 01:42 AM
Welcome back from Egypt.....
:banana: :banana:
None of you clones are picking up on the subliminal message about the new Carbon Aero bike. Geez, this is like a popcorn ad in a movie theater.

Simon Q
04-23-2008, 03:13 AM
Awesome function. Hours of fun, thanks Ben.

Just a suggestion: functions to e mail and save schemes would be great.

cycl42
04-23-2008, 06:27 AM
I love it!

I may have to but a new bike just so I can see the results!

Too Tall
04-23-2008, 06:45 AM
Arrowbike??? What's that?

Smiley
04-23-2008, 06:53 AM
Welcome back from Egypt.....
:banana: :banana:
Pete, U know we are pimping the new Aero Bike, a full on carbone dream machine.

1centaur
04-23-2008, 05:33 PM

Not many carbon aero bikes show up in the gallery either. Sounds like a tri competitor for Cervelo. If so, good wind tunnel numbers will grab that crowd at the right price, but this is the wrong audience.

Too Tall
04-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Are the tubes fasterbackwards? You know? Are they leading or trailing edge?

Inquiring minds.

Kahuna
04-23-2008, 10:50 PM
This is all fine and good but there are those of us who have been around long enough to know that this isn't Ben's first foray into the interactive paint space. The first one (circa 1998-99) predates this one by about a decade and was launched back when Sergey Brin and Larry Page were still trying to kick start their fledgling google project and well before websites like myspace, youtube, craigslist, Etc ever hit the scene.

Unbeknownst to many, Ben is in fact one of the true pioneers of the Internet (just ask Al Gore) - a dot-com mogul in a virtual jungle where many others have tried to succeed and failed.

That's pretty darn creative and, very well executed. Nice work.

soulspinner
04-24-2008, 05:50 AM
We still need to adress why I have to send a Legend GS to Spectrum to get paint on her...I do remember Serottas last paint interactive foray. This ones a lot better...

jmc22
04-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Ben:
You have come a long way from your garage days when I first bought my Colorado II (Magenta & Shartruce - Pink & Yellow) from Walter Grotz @ Park Ridge Cycles in NJ some upteen years ago... I think the Just Paint it is going to be great for you. I for one plan to send my Ottrott back in the Fall for an updated paint job.

GREAT JOB...keep it up

PS - if by chance you somehow get my Ottrott confused and send me back a Meivici in it's place, so long as it is a stock 59cm frame..I won't say anything...promise! :beer:

Ahneida Ride
04-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Awesome function. Hours of fun, thanks Ben.

Just a suggestion: functions to e mail and save schemes would be great.

Bingo ....

;) :p :rolleyes: :beer: :D

Phenomenal piece of software

victoryfactory
04-26-2008, 02:13 PM
which button do I select if I want to
paint a regular all Ti Legend?
Or have you moved past the all Ti model?
Maybe I just have to use my imagination?

VF, troublemaker

Marco
04-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Go to the program, select the Legend, select the paint scheme, and then....the next window will have an icon on the right side that allows you to select a ti rear stay. The rest is up to you....