PDA

View Full Version : OT: Calling all gardeners!!

jhcakilmer
04-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Okay, here's the problem. Every year my wife wants to buy the annual hanging baskets which we use on out patio to soften the wall next to our eating area. We usually get 6-8 baskets, and the nice, large arrangements cost btw $20-30, and since we're both students, it can get pretty expensive.....especially considering that they just die at the end of the year.

So the solution.....perennial. But we need some that will grow out, and especially down. Perferably something that has a nice variegated leaf, or flowering!

Any suggestions!!

dirtdigger88
04-22-2008, 02:37 PM
nothing that I know of is going to survive in a basket in your climate-

Jason

thejen12
04-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Trailing Rosemary? I don't know how hardy it is - can you bring the baskets inside in the winter?

Also, how about that ivy with the green and white leaves? No flowers, though.

Jenn

R2D2
04-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Get a decent grow light and start some plants in late winter in the basement.
Even a flourescent will work. It amazes me what plants are costing this year.
I spend $3.00 on tomato seeds for the whole garden. The stores want $3.00 a plant this spring.

regularguy412
04-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Trailing Rosemary? I don't know how hardy it is - can you bring the baskets inside in the winter?

Also, how about that ivy with the green and white leaves? No flowers, though.

Jenn

I'll second the 'vines' suggestion. English Ivy is hardy to Zone 4.

Many of the vine-type plants over-winter well indoors and can be relocated back outside when the temps rise. This is also true for many types of fern, as well. That makes them a one-time purchase.

Mike in AR:beer:

dave thompson
04-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Okay, here's the problem. Every year my wife wants to buy the annual hanging baskets which we use on out patio to soften the wall next to our eating area. We usually get 6-8 baskets, and the nice, large arrangements cost btw $20-30, and since we're both students, it can get pretty expensive.....especially considering that they just die at the end of the year.

So the solution.....perennial. But we need some that will grow out, and especially down. Perferably something that has a nice variegated leaf, or flowering!

Any suggestions!!
There is a ton of trailing perennials that would meet your needs. Get thee to a good nursery and pick their brains. Take some pics of the areas that you want to flower (that's the opposite of de-flower :D ) print them and take with you. Bring your wallet and a vehicle that has a lot of room!

Fixed
04-22-2008, 03:06 PM
I spend $3.00 on tomato seeds for the whole garden. The stores want $3.00 a plant this spring.
bro i admire you imho we should all be like you
cheers

jhcakilmer
04-22-2008, 03:09 PM
nothing that I know of is going to survive in a basket in your climate-

Jason

Yes I know.....I forgot to mention, I bring them in during the colder months! So Hardiness Zones don't matter!!
Thanks

R2D2
04-22-2008, 03:13 PM
bro i admire you imho we should all be like you
cheers

Thanks.
Although the riding is suffering a bit right now.
Keeps me grounded so to speak. AND out of trouble. I actually love hanging out at home.
Go figure........

jhcakilmer
04-22-2008, 03:16 PM

Love the setup, by the way!! We look forward to buying a house with some land, and having the space to plant a garden.

R2D2
04-22-2008, 03:35 PM
I'll talk to my wfe about vines etc and she's from PA (Skipback).
Took a while on the garden and doen't show the blueberries, blackberries etc.
I have a swallow jet well ( 6 gallons / minute) so the garden areas are drip
irrigated.
Gotts to have my ripe tomaters...........
Nothin like a tomato sandwhich with mayo and fresh cracked pepper.

Karin Kirk
04-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Hey R2D2 - is that your greenhouse? That is the same kind we just bought - Riga, from Germany.

I agree with the notion of starting from seed, although it can take a couple tries to get the tricks down. But it's a lot of fun and very satisfying. And yes, very economical.

My suggestions are to save the pots from year to year, buy your own potting soil (don't skimp on the soil, get "pro-mix") and plant your own pots. This saves at least 50% over buying pre-planted baskets.

I definitely save trailing ivy and the variegated vinca vine from year to year.
I can't think of any trailing, blooming perennials off hand.

Begonias can be held over from year to year as bulbs (not technically bulbs, but tubers of some sort) Geraniums and coleus can spend the winter indoors. They'll look like crap by the end of the winter, but as soon as you cut them back and move them back outside, they'll take off again.

There is a relatively new plant called oxalis that looks like large clover or shamrock. This looks great in containers and then can over winter as little bulbs. In the spring you can replant the bulbs and they do really well. After 2 summers I have so many of these I don't even know what to do with them anymore (want some? I'll send them!)

Another way to save some money is to buy plants in 6-packs rather than as individuals. The plants will be smaller to start off with, but that's OK, they grow fast.

Happy planting! :)

R2D2
04-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Karen:

Yes that's a Riga IV.
Andrew (a Dutchman ) done in Austin (exaco.com) imports them

I have a nice system for anchoring the base and will be glad to show you if interested. They go together very precisely (Germans ya know).
But be sure to watch the install vidoe etc before starting.

We brought our hanging baskets in to the greenhouse in November and they have done very nicely. Don't need to buy new ones this year. We have different kinds of geraniums - I suppose if you kept them in the house in a sunny place they would last year round. We also have bouganvillas that did nicely in the greenhouse and I know you can bring them in the house in the winter and they will survive. Other than that african violets and begonias.

Also I don't know the garden size you plan but you just can't beat a BCS tiller. It is just unbelievable
in construction and durability.
I've included a link to best place that sells them and attachments.
They just put it on a pallet and ship to you.
Wish I knew about them when I purcahsed mine but I've bought attachments from them.
http://www.earthtoolsbcs.com/