PDA

View Full Version : Michelin Pro Race 3

znfdl
04-22-2008, 09:09 AM
I am still undecided about which clinchers to use for RAAM and would like further feedback on the Pro Race 3s.

I know that we had a discussion of Conti 4000s versus Michelin Pro Race 3.

I was wondering how people feel about the tire after a longer period of use.

If you can provide specific information about the flat resistance, ride etc would be great.

Thanks.

swoop
04-22-2008, 09:12 AM
my first instinct is that the 2's feel more plush. like the difference between running a 23 and a 20...
but i've only been on them a week. they (3's) don't cut up as fast and they do feel sticky in a great way.

take it all with a grain.. its just what came out when i typed.. hopefully, i wont regret it when i come back from my ride.

FMS_rider
04-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Could the decrease in plush be a result of the purported narrower width of Pro3s?

93legendti
04-22-2008, 09:27 AM
I have some Pro3's on my Spectrum and like them better than the Pro2's and Veloflex Paves (my previous favorite). I pump them up to the min 87 psi. I also like them better than my Conti 4000 tires I used a bit last year. I never liked the Pro2's. As to the "f" word, I rarely get them, and the last "f" was on my 1rst ride on Pro2's (last year).

Hope that helps.

mcteague
04-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Can anyone verify the width of an inflated PR3 as compared to a PR2? I have PR2 25s on my bike and the back wheel won't fit when inflated. I have to let air out first to squeeze it into my Seven Axiom's dropouts. Most say their 25s are closer to 28s though.

Tim McTeague

torquer
04-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Can anyone verify the width of an inflated PR3 as compared to a PR2? I have PR2 25s on my bike and the back wheel won't fit when inflated. I have to let air out first to squeeze it into my Seven Axiom's dropouts. Most say their 25s are closer to 28s though.

Tim McTeague

?

I've got a tight squeeze with my PR2 25s getting past the brake pads, sure, but do you really mean "dropouts"?

Ken Robb
04-22-2008, 10:43 AM
I hate flats and so tend to use tires like Ruffy-Tuffys, Ultra Gatorskins, etc to avoid as many as possible. Last week I rode my Allrounder to the library to return about 20 lbs. of books. Coming home I was thinking how much glass and crap there was in the road and how glad I was I had 700x32 city tires from Performance under me when---pssssssst. Luckily I checked in my huge Riv Hoss saddlebag before I dropped the rear wheel because I have more bikes than I have inflators and there wasn't one in the bag. Poop! It was a short walk to my LBS where I borrowed a pump but still--what a PITA! This bike has horizontal dropouts and fenders so getting the wheel out is tricky and getting it back in is really tricky. I was too lazy to take off the bag so my view of the parts was none-too-good. Next time the bag comes off first. Oh yeah: I think it's one of life's rules: You will always get a flat on the first ride after lubing your chain and it will be on a bike with light colored tape, brown leather saddle and bag so you can go nuts trying to keep the black goo on your hands from staining these parts forever. I used Pro Link and wiped it down until the chain LOOKED clean but yuck--what a mess.

Anyway my thought for RAM riders: Would it make sense to swap tires or different parts of the route? Pretty light racy tires for rural areas with clean roads and tougher/heavier tires for urban/nasty streets? Can you even predict what road conditions will be from area to area?

Geoff
04-22-2008, 11:06 AM

Tim McTeague

I have been riding the PR3 for about 2-3 months and my impression is they are an improvement over PR2s. They do measue pretty close to a real 23mm not the 25mm that the PR2 23 measured or the 28mm that the pr2 25 mesured. THey seem to provide more confidence when cornering that the pr2s. Over all I like them if they make one just little bit bigger I will love them.

Geoff

As for the f word I have not had a f in about 3 years and have had 2 since I got these both pinch flats on gravel/dirt roads.

mcteague
04-22-2008, 11:42 AM
?

I've got a tight squeeze with my PR2 25s getting past the brake pads, sure, but do you really mean "dropouts"?
Sorry to be vague. In order to get the rear wheel on my bike I must open the brakes via the QR and the adjustment wheel on the caliper but it still hits the back of the seat tube if fully inflated. If I let much of the air out I can squeeze it in. I love the ride of the PR2 25s but hate having to do this.

Tim McTeague

swoop
04-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Could the decrease in plush be a result of the purported narrower width of Pro3s?

they look less round.. as if the pro race 3's 23's are now 20's and the 2's are 23's.
but they are both 23's.

Bruce K
04-22-2008, 03:25 PM
I love my 3's and can feel a definite difference in ride feel.

They seem to roll easier and corner better.

No flats so far and no cuts either.

Go for them znf...

BK

flux
04-22-2008, 03:27 PM
just don't use them if you run a bontrager xxx lite rim. that's all i'm saying on the matter.

disclamer: I love my Bontrager wheels.

disclaimer 2: I love my Michelin tires.

John H.
04-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Same for Reynolds carbon clinchers

just don't use them if you run a bontrager xxx lite rim. that's all i'm saying on the matter.

PoppaWheelie
04-22-2008, 03:49 PM

I just threw a set on my Reynolds wheels last week without much trouble at all...and some tires give me a world of hurt. I was pleasantly surprised...

Bruce K
04-22-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm running P3's on Reynolds carbon clinchers as well.

So far no issues other than a little tough to mount but once they're on, they're great.

BK

Bobbo
04-22-2008, 08:50 PM

Could you both please elaborate?

Cary Ford
04-22-2008, 08:51 PM
My Conti's with the added chili pepper are still going strong.

Tacky, pliable and very few cuts after a thousand miles.

I have no interest in going back to Michelin.

Too Tall
04-23-2008, 07:26 AM
Stu., am encouraging you to also give the Veredestine SE a shot. I (gag) had to ride these during camp (I'm up to 6.5% now) and was blawdy impressed with them...as far as clinchers go :rolleyes: FWIIW I got these on sale at the local big box store for under $30 and have something like 3 sets leftover as spares for campers (ok that's 7% in BenBucks...krap).

chrisroph
04-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Stu., am encouraging you to also give the Veredestine SE a shot. I (gag) had to ride these during camp (I'm up to 6.5% now) and was blawdy impressed with them...as far as clinchers go :rolleyes: FWIIW I got these on sale at the local big box store for under $30 and have something like 3 sets leftover as spares for campers (ok that's 7% in BenBucks...krap).

those things are pretty good for off the shelf on sale clinchers at your local walk in chain bike store.

my preferred set of clinchers these days is a cx front and a mich pr2 rear (haven't tried the 3's as of yet).

znfdl
04-23-2008, 09:26 AM
I am a long time user of vredestein fortezza tires and just wanted some feedback on some of the newer tires on the market.

Too Tall
04-23-2008, 10:27 AM
those things are pretty good for off the shelf on sale clinchers at your local walk in chain bike store.

my preferred set of clinchers these days is a cx front and a mich pr2 rear (haven't tried the 3's as of yet).

Agreed, the reason I like them feel like they have more rubber than the Fortezza and ALL of their wet road grip...no kidding I was impressed with that.

TAW
04-23-2008, 12:44 PM
I am a long time user of vredestein fortezza tires and just wanted some feedback on some of the newer tires on the market.

I have the Vredesteins on my race wheels, and the Pro Race 3's on my everyday wheels. The Vredesteins in my opinion ride better, but the Michelins seem to get fewer cuts, and I haven't had any problems with flats.

ss-jimbo
04-23-2008, 01:55 PM

By cx, do you mean the Vittoria Open Corsa CX (I think that's what it's called)?

Orin
04-23-2008, 02:16 PM
The blue SEs that Performance/Nashbar sell are about worth what you pay for them when they are on sale (less than $30). I wouldn't pay more and in fact gave away the pair that I bought.

Orin.

blschaefer1
04-23-2008, 02:39 PM
I've been running two sets of Conti 4000S and one set of Michelin Pro3's for several months now.

I prefer the 4000S - more supple, tubular-type ride quality and they seem to be wearing better as well.

I ran the regular 4000's and also a Force / Attack combo with out flats for two years.

I hear they are adding the Chili magic stuff to the Force / Attacks as well.

Oh....I have two sets of Reynolds carbon clinchers - one with a 4000S set, the other with Pro3's. No issues with either.

Simon Q
04-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Seems that for many it is 4000S or Pro Race 3 right now.

I love the 4000S but would try the PR3 if it was shown that it had lower rolling resistance and had similar durability/flat protection as the 4000S. When I used to use Mich Pro Race it was frightening how quickly they cut up.

An independent head to head test would be great but blschaefer's write up is the word until that time.

chrisroph
04-23-2008, 07:28 PM
By cx, do you mean the Vittoria Open Corsa CX (I think that's what it's called)?

yes exactly. real nice front tire. i sometimes put a continental gp on the back instead of a mich if that is what i have stacked around.

mobile homeless
05-01-2008, 03:19 PM
As an aside, I was wondering if the regular new Conti GP4000 with the added Chili Compound was the exact same tire as the GP4000S, but without the "S" graphics on the sidewall? The only difference mentioned seems to be the graphic package but you know how that is. Anyone have any positive info on this?

I love the Michelin Pro2 but havent used the Contis w/Black Chili yet.

kh