PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday in Central Park

johnmdesigner
04-20-2008, 11:02 AM
ouch

KeithNYC
04-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Wow. I don't ride in Central Park on the weekends anymore. It's chaos- especially when the weather is so nice. He was probably avoiding an inline skater making a sudden move without looking back, or an errant dog, or.... :bike:

`

johnmdesigner
04-20-2008, 11:23 AM
That was yesterdays CRCA race.

mike p
04-20-2008, 11:30 AM
At least he looks ok.

Mike

Wiley J
04-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Does anyone know what kind of shoes he has?

CarbonCycles
04-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Hey looks like he is using tubulars :cool:

Blue Jays
04-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Ouch. He is going to awaken very sore tomorrow morning.

LegendRider
04-20-2008, 01:00 PM

Specialized Body Geometry S-Works Road.

ThasFACE
04-20-2008, 05:19 PM
ouch
Do you know around when that happened? Also, where did you find that picture?

There was a pile-up in the B/C CRCA race that I just barely avoided. It looked like at least ten guys stacked their bikes, but I didn't stick around to count.

EDIT: I am an idiot, but I will chalk it up to my currently high level of tireditude. nearly != barely

Blue Jays
04-20-2008, 05:25 PM
"...There was a pile-up in the B/C CRCA race that I just nearly avoided..."ThasFACE, you weren't on that beautiful new SPECTRUM when you crashed, were you? Hope you're OK.

ThasFACE
04-20-2008, 05:41 PM
ThasFACE, you weren't on that beautiful new SPECTRUM when you crashed, were you? Hope you're OK.
Fortunately I didn't get taken down in the crash; just barely avoided it, though (meant to say 'barely' in my last post, not 'nearly;' dumb). As a side note, it happened kind of weirdly. We were rolling through a flat/wide section of the loop with decent pace when I heard someone yell 'slowing' and then a bunch of dudes just ahead of me and to my left ate it hard. There wasn't anyone/anything in the road ahead of us as far as I could tell, so I'm baffled as to why anyone would get on their brakes like that.

Anyway, I didn't race the spectrum. But, I'm so in love with the way it rides that I was seriously tempted. Maybe next time.

Blue Jays
04-20-2008, 06:15 PM
/\/\ That means it's excellent news all-around. You're not injured and that beautiful new SPECTRUM is fine. :beer:

Javaman
04-20-2008, 06:23 PM

What about the bike? I mean, couldn't tell what brand bike he crashed, thanks to my ancient crappy monitor. :crap:

M.Sommers
04-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Glad to see/hear you are okay. How come no socks? I had my RD explode one time, walked a few miles in my socks.

jmc22
04-20-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm thinking the guy must be new to racing...why else would you have a frame pump on your bike during a race unless you a Russian riding for Team Cinzino in the movie Breaking Away......

Monthly Payment
04-20-2008, 10:59 PM
I'm thinking the guy must be new to racing...why else would you have a frame pump on your bike during a race unless you a Russian riding for Team Cinzino in the movie Breaking Away......

Can't say how much experience he's got but its a intra club race, so the enforcement of no saddle bags/ pumps rule is loose to say the least. Most guys ride to the race from the 5 boroughs or beyond so its not shocking to see all sorts of junk on a bike from LEDs to pumps.

Bike looks like a Giant to me. Kits look cool.

rwsaunders
04-21-2008, 01:00 AM
What about the bike? I mean, couldn't tell what brand bike he crashed, thanks to my ancient crappy monitor. :crap:

Giant CF? He might be off to the recycling bin.

BoulderGeek
04-21-2008, 04:12 AM

Come on...10,000 bike geeks are now screaming..."Team Cinzano were Italians!!"

jemoryl
04-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Giant CF? He might be off to the recycling bin.

At least he won'g be throwing his $5k high zoot CF frame in the bin....

johnmdesigner
04-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Do you know around when that happened? Also, where did you find that picture?

There was a pile-up in the B/C CRCA race that I just barely avoided. It looked like at least ten guys stacked their bikes, but I didn't stick around to count.

EDIT: I am an idiot, but I will chalk it up to my currently high level of tireditude. nearly != barely

More pictures here
http://www.nyvelocity.com/article.aspx?ID=2192&CID=50

EDS
04-21-2008, 09:26 AM

The dude pictured is not new to racing. Not even close.

theprep
04-21-2008, 09:34 AM
The dude pictured is not new to racing. Not even close.

It is also one of our forum members arch nemisis this spring. :rolleyes:

Rumor has it, he played guitar for the band Blondie.

jmc22
04-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Can't say how much experience he's got but its a intra club race, so the enforcement of no saddle bags/ pumps rule is loose to say the least. Most guys ride to the race from the 5 boroughs or beyond so its not shocking to see all sorts of junk on a bike from LEDs to pumps.

Bike looks like a Giant to me. Kits look cool.

I use to race this Kissana series event as a Cat 2 some time back when it use to have the March races in Central Park & the April races in Prospect Park. I know that other than the no riding in the runners lane that anything goes & most accidents in CP happened between Catpaw hill & the downhill to the pool at the north. So why the frame pump??...no a saddle bag.. no spare tubular tire, no other clothing such as a jacket, leg warmers, tights...nope, just a frame pump and a taco'd front Ksrium..

Just wondering.....

Fixed
04-21-2008, 02:23 PM
bro maybe the cat ran over someone's frame pump and it went in his ft wheel
cheers

Spicoli
04-21-2008, 02:40 PM
His name is Paul and he was going as a ride along coach in the CRCA "B" field trying to help some lower level racers. Apparently it was an incredibly twitchy race and something lame happened in front of him. He has been racing forever and has skills and also is nowhere near a twitchy rider. Looks like he was trying to do a good thing and got taken out by some sketchy riders.

All these guy's commute to the parks from outside boro's and they travel with backpacks full of the stuff they may need for the race and the commute home afterwards. The pump was probably just there since he was not contesting this race, just trying to help out others with tactics and such.

No good deed goes unpunished I suppose. :crap:

This is all third hand info. but I trust it ;)

P.S. his race wheels are Zipps not the Mavics

Steelhead
04-21-2008, 02:54 PM
ouch

Ouch the crash or ouch to the bright white legs. :D

Cdub
04-21-2008, 03:21 PM

Those are the Specialized S-works.

Fixed
04-21-2008, 03:24 PM
white bike racer legs
cheers bro :beer:

jmc22
04-21-2008, 04:27 PM
P.S. his race wheels are Zipps not the Mavics[/QUOTE]

His "race wheels" may be Zipps, the the ones he taco'd in the pic are 2007 Mavic Ksyrium ES I do believe.

Spicoli
04-21-2008, 08:27 PM
:beer: P.S. his race wheels are Zipps not the Mavics

His "race wheels" may be Zipps, the the ones he taco'd in the pic are 2007 Mavic Ksyrium ES I do believe.[/QUOTE]

jmc22
04-22-2008, 10:40 PM
His name is Paul and he was going as a ride along coach in the CRCA "B" field trying to help some lower level racers. Apparently it was an incredibly twitchy race and something lame happened in front of him. He has been racing forever and has skills and also is nowhere near a twitchy rider. Looks like he was trying to do a good thing and got taken out by some sketchy riders.

All these guy's commute to the parks from outside boro's and they travel with backpacks full of the stuff they may need for the race and the commute home afterwards. The pump was probably just there since he was not contesting this race, just trying to help out others with tactics and such.

No good deed goes unpunished I suppose. :crap:

This is all third hand info. but I trust it ;)

P.S. his race wheels are Zipps not the Mavics

Spicoli:

Is that Paul Carbonara?.. if so, I used to race against him when he was a Cat 3 & riding I think a red Cannondale at the time.. here is a picture of me winning & Paul finshing 2nd at a Prospect Park race some 8-9 years ago..next time you see him tell him that John says hello...
PS - while hard to make out, my steed back then was a Serotta Colorado II...I loved that bike almost as much as my Ottrott now...