PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 705 data card question...

SoCalSteve
04-19-2008, 11:48 PM
Hi all,

The Garmin 705 looks very interesting with its color screen, gps capabilities, etc...

My question is: What does the data card have on it? What does it add to the 705? And, can it be purchased as an accessory as I have no need for the HRM function nor cadence and it appears that the data card is ONLY bundled with those 2 options at a greater cost.

Does it still have GPS functionality without the data card? Does it not show as detailed mapping? Inquiring minds want to to know.

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

Michael Maddox
04-20-2008, 06:39 AM
The SD data card contains the North American map data, if you purchased the unit as a complete set. If not, the SD data card is available separately. This option is certainly a good one if you prefer some other map instead, e.g., Europe. In fact, as long as you get the 705, the additional functionality is available on an a la carte basis.

Yes, the unit has value without the card, but the navigation is severely limited, as you don't have a map. Essentially, you have a 305 that is in color. I love my 305, so that's not really a bad thing.

First ride test with my new 705, today.

jharsha
04-20-2008, 12:22 PM
The 705 does have a basic map built in but it is not of much use. Buy the basic 705 and the data card. I like my 705 alot but found that the upload sites, Motionbased and Garmin Traing Center leave a bit to be desired.

SoCalSteve
04-20-2008, 01:32 PM
The 705 does have a basic map built in but it is not of much use. Buy the basic 705 and the data card. I like my 705 alot but found that the upload sites, Motionbased and Garmin Traing Center leave a bit to be desired.

I see lots of places to buy the basic 705 unit, but havent found a place to buy the data card a la carte...

Clues, suggestion and/or links would be great.

Thanks for the great information so far!

Steve

davyt
04-20-2008, 01:48 PM
I see lots of places to buy the basic 705 unit, but havent found a place to buy the data card a la carte...

Clues, suggestion and/or links would be great.

Thanks for the great information so far!

Steve
microSD/SD data card, City Navigator NT, North America (http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10679%2D50)

SoCalSteve
04-20-2008, 01:58 PM
microSD/SD data card, City Navigator NT, North America (http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10679%2D50)

Thank you! In doing a bit more research I see that it is not exclusive to the 705. Actually, it is used by MANY Garmin units....

Thanks again!

Steve

jbrainin
04-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Buy the full package of 705, hr monitor strap, cadence sensor and micro-SD map card. It will save you $25 over buying the base 705 model and just the micro-SD map card. Try gpsnow.com. They did right by me.

Jonathan