PDA

View Full Version : Stripping paint from carbon tubes....

Roadbike61
01-05-2004, 04:38 PM
I bought and rode my Harlequin Ottrott this summer and to be truthful, never really liked the harlequin paint. I really wisheed I had gone with natural carbon with "top mount" decals so I can change them out easily if I want a different color. I checked and nobody wanted to attempt this tricky process. I finally came across "Joe's Bicycle Painting" in California...(they do all the Calfees)....and they stripped it down and clear-coated it for $300. These guys did an excellent job and I highly recommend them. I'll post pic's sometime.

Ozz
01-05-2004, 06:07 PM
What did that do to your warranty?

Roadbike61
01-06-2004, 07:04 PM
I don't believe it would do anything to it, but to be honest it never occurred to me. It would be no different then stripping anything and repainting....the carbon is not affected at all. As I stated, the natural carbon is clear coated and there are no flaws or defects. This would be a good question for Todd. I would think, knowing Serotta that they would stand behind their product if there was a problem, (not due to the paint removal), as I would stand behind a problem if caused by the stripping of paint.

admin
01-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Roadbike61,

While we know many of the fine frame refinishers out there, we don't know and, have not had experience with all of them. This is why our warranty policies are established as they are. Refinishing carbon fiber is definitely much different than refinishing more conventional materials. Normal grit blasting or sanding of more conventional materials such as, steel or titanium removes little material. This is not necessarily the case with carbon. To completely remove a color applied to carbon fiber requires sanding into the outer layers of carbon to some degree. With a frame done outside of our facility we have no way to control or monitor this process.

Please review the warranty policy on the warranty / registration card you received with your frame or read below.

"VOIDING OF WARRANTY:
This warranty will be void if any alterations or modifications, including the application of paint, are made by anyone to the product without express written authorization of Serotta."

The entire warranty is located on our website at http://www.serotta.com/pages/warranty.html

If you have anyquestions, feel free to contact us at 518-584-1221.

mavic1010
01-07-2004, 12:34 PM
I guess that answers the "does it void my warranty" question....

Kevin
01-07-2004, 07:15 PM
I just want to say on behalf of Roadbike61 that he was suffering from metal delusions when he said that the forks had been refinished. He has not had his forks refinished and did not mean to admit on this forum that he had done something that voided his warranty. I hope that the good people at Serotta realize that this was nothing more than a misunderstanding. OUCH!

I guess we now all know that Serotta is monitoring the forum.

Kevin

dbrk
01-07-2004, 09:48 PM
I think I've likely voided the warranty on my every Serotta by having it repainted (by others) and, more lately, by having surgery (to remove the ht extension) and a new fork made. But, as I see it, the Serottas are made well enough in the first place that I don't worry about the warranty. Bike warranties, I dunno, but if this why or how you make a decision about the purchase of a bike...well, never in 25 years have I _once_ looked at the warranty or made that a feature of buying a bicycle. I try to buy the proven and practical rather than new and vulnerable to defying common sense. I will personally eat a Serotta cap if Roadbike61's Ottrott fails because he had it re-done. I'm not of the Full Body Armour School of Safety, Prevention, and Paranoia either...more like the Get the Hell Out of the House NOW and Try Not to Get in Trouble school for the Reckless and Helmet-Free.

dbrk