PDA

View Full Version : Good touring bike

SamIAm
04-19-2008, 09:04 AM
I have decided to go on a fully loaded tour in early June. I have some good bikes for credit card touring, but not for carrying a heavy load.

I didn't decide to do this until a week or two ago and therefore don't have a lot of time. So far I have 3 possibilities.

Rivendell Atlantis
Bruce Gordon BLT or Rock and Road
Co-motion Norwester Tour

Looking for comments on the above or possible additions.

Thanks in advance.

scrooge
04-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Can't go wrong with any of them--does the Riv allow for wider tires and more diverse use? Does that matter?

Personally, I'd go with the BG or the Co-motion.

Okay, personally I'd go with the BG since I already have a co-motion (and it's great, I just like diversity)

CNY rider
04-19-2008, 09:08 AM
How about pulling a BOB trailer with one of your current fine fleet of bikes?

CNY rider
04-19-2008, 09:09 AM
. I have some good bikes .........

Thanks in advance.

And I just have to add that you claiming to have "some good bikes" is like saying there's some nice paintings at the Winter Palace. ;)

eddief
04-19-2008, 09:13 AM
aebike.com for under a grand:

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=list&Category=905&Brand=405&type=T

scrooge
04-19-2008, 09:17 AM
How about pulling a BOB trailer with one of your current fine fleet of bikes?

You're on to something here.

I love the look of a loaded touring bike and I'd love an excuse to buy another bike myself but....I have to admit that Bob's are great...they load up a lot easier, can be unhitched quickly to free up your bike, the bags are super waterproof (like my ortlib panniers), they can be used to haul firewood (great if your camping), groceries etc...

I have an extra I might consider selling if you want to come to Denver and pick it up ;)

The thing that would make me want a full on touring bike is that I don't have a roadie that will take wider tires (would be nice for times when the pavement runs out, or when you end up on a chipseal trail) or with full fenders--our last tour we rode for a week in the rain and fenders would've been nice, to say the least.

Okay, I'm taking it all back...get a touring bike.

39cross
04-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Trek 520 is another great choice.

The Surly eddief linked to is a great deal though.

scrooge
04-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Trek 520!

Don't they have a history of silly gearing? NOt that it can't be changed, but why buy a "stock" bike that needs to have parts swapped out by you?

And though this would do the job, I have a suspicion that SamIAm is looking for something with a little more, um, character...

dannyg1
04-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Not that these two suggestions are competitive in terms of build quality with what you've listed, but, should you consider the idea of having a full on tourer that is a workhorse alone, the old Schwinn Voyageur SP and the concurrent 1984 Raleigh Alyeska were great touring bikes that can be had or a song these days.

If a custom built is what you're requiring for this request, an old Merz is still,and always will be, one of the absolute best ever. Serotta brazed a few lugged tourers in the decades past that were extremely well thought of and then, if you're really serious about going all out, a Singer and a Herse ought to be on your shortlist.

Lest I forget, Curt Goodrich still makes the top line Riv's and would probably build you a pretty special one. Another one for the list: Richard Sachs made a stunning tourer I've seen photos of recently.

Danny

bfd
04-19-2008, 09:39 AM
I have decided to go on a fully loaded tour in early June. I have some good bikes for credit card touring, but not for carrying a heavy load.

I didn't decide to do this until a week or two ago and therefore don't have a lot of time. So far I have 3 possibilities.

Rivendell Atlantis
Bruce Gordon BLT or Rock and Road
Co-motion Norwester Tour

Looking for comments on the above or possible additions.

Thanks in advance.

Of the three you listed, I think Co-motion or BG are the way to go because both are MADE IN AMERICA and have proven track records. In these tough economy times, I like helping American companies where I can.

One thing about BG, his racks are the best, so if you choose his bike, then get the racks! (if you need them.)

Either way, both are great choices. Good Luck!

mschol17
04-19-2008, 09:52 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with Bruce Gordon, but if you're looking for something with a little... je ne sais quois...

http://www.velo-orange.com/vocamper.html

These look like they're going to be pretty sweet.

14max
04-19-2008, 09:54 AM

SamIAm
04-19-2008, 10:38 AM
I have a suspicion that SamIAm is looking for something with a little more, um, character...

That would be a yes!

Marcusaurelius
04-19-2008, 10:45 AM
I'd second the vote got a Trek 520. It has a really nice steel frame (True Temper OX) and with smaller chainrings on the crank it's good for steep hills. I've had a long Haul trucker and it was okay but the Trek has a much nicer tubeset. I've also had a Marinoni Turismo which was a good bike.

If I was looking for a custom bike, I would get a Bilenky and possibly Campagnolo record triple parts.

eddief
04-19-2008, 11:00 AM
but i can't imagine one would notice the subtleties of the tubeset at that point. although many here have proven me wrong many times previous.

eddief
04-19-2008, 11:19 AM
some can feel a pea under their mattress, some can't.

itsflantastic
04-19-2008, 11:27 AM
2 extended tours on a bruce gordon BLT.
It was rock solid and amazing, and I had practically no mechanical issues in 7000 or so miles of heavy loaded touring, sometimes even ending up on MTB trails (took a few wrong turns once)

Bruce Gordon's a great guy with a lot of knowledge, and everything about his bikes make sense.
CAn't recommend it enough...
Dan

taz-t
04-19-2008, 11:29 AM
samiam - given the short time frame, I'd call BG right away and see what he has in stock for a complete BLT or RnR. You want (obviously) a bike that fits perfectly, but also a tourer that's ready to roll without spending time sorting out the details of racks/fenders/panniers etc..

If time were no problem, I'd see what Tournesol (maybe working with CoMotion) could put together and if time and money were not an obstacle, I'd talk to BG about a full custom.

There may be others that can do touring as well as these, but BG has the years of experience and reputation for this exact bike.

- taz

woolly
04-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Buy the Surly LHT full bike. Swap out any bike/ride components necessary to make it fit/feel the way you like. Add some Surly Nice Racks to it. This can be accomplished relatively cheaply, and well within the short window of time you have to prepare (this should also give you time to ride the bike & make any adjustments).

Go load it up & ride the snot out of it on your trip, and in the process figure out what you really like & don't like in a loaded touring bike. If you like it, then keep it & take advantage of the good value these bikes are. If you learn that you want something else that the LHT can't give, then put it on Ebay & recover a substantial portion of your initial investment - these things tend to hold their value pretty darned well. Then go buy a BG or a Tournesol or a Moots or a custom whatever knowing that you're making a more informed decision.

p.s. Trailers suck atmo.

p.p.s Lot's of info on LHT's here: http://surlyville.net/

39cross
04-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Don't they have a history of silly gearing? NOt that it can't be changed, but why buy a "stock" bike that needs to have parts swapped out by you?

And though this would do the job, I have a suspicion that SamIAm is looking for something with a little more, um, character...A trip in June would preclude a custom I'd think, which means something you can buy now, which will be by definition stock. The 520 off-the-shelf gearing is aimed at the majority of buyers who will never use it to tour, it's no big deal for the dealer to swap in a decent mountain crankset, or you can install a Sugino triple, or whatever you think is right. It's steel, made in the USA (or at least mine was), and is a very comfortable ride that will see you through thick and thin. It will acquire plenty of character when you put the miles in on it. :)

Now that being said, any of the above I would think would make good choices, but I think there is a good chance that if you take a look at the 520 you will be pleasantly surprised.

Bradford
04-19-2008, 01:22 PM
I have had great success with my IF Independence. Great bike, great compnay...don't know if you could get it in time. If I were doing it again, I'd go right back to the IF.

I've also put thousands of loaded miles on a Cannondale touring frame and it was a great bike. If it hadn't been killed by a toyota, I'd still be riding it.

I'd second the motion on a BLT or Co-Motion, but I'm not sure if I'd get the Nor'wester or Americano, which is the heavy duty bike.

Also, do some searches on other touring threads...lots to think about if you want to the bike t stand up.

97CSI
04-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Friend just got a Waterford. Believe his is the 'sport' touring model with slightly shorter chainstays as he plans to load the bike less heavily and pull a trailer. They also make a 'full' touring model. Very nice bike. He recommends it to all.

Check these threads. Good info from some experienced touring folks. Also, some good links and pic's, etc.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=42181&highlight=Disc+brakes

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=40331&highlight=Disc+brakes

Mark$ter
04-19-2008, 01:36 PM
My wife and I have a Comotion Speedster tandem that we do at least a week long loaded tour on every summer - it's pretty amazing to ride a tandem no handed and look at a map without worry. I rode an Americano to see how much it rode like our tandem since it's pretty much made out of the same stuff (fork and stays) and damn if it doesn't replicate that stability perfectly - really awesome. Plus it has that 145 rear dropout for a dishless wheel - just ride it and forget it - a perfect touring bike if you ask me. That being said though - I rode a Surly last winter on snow and ice covered roads and I marveled at how stable and rock solid it was too. Plus it has that flannel shirt low-brow journeyman aplomb of being a Surly. Depends on if you want a ROGUE Porter or a Pabst I guess. It sure is great though that there are so many good touring bikes out there at such a wide price range.

Kirk007
04-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Probably still have time to get the CO-Mo custom to your fit specs...

mtflycaster
04-19-2008, 02:03 PM
This one...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=16469&highlight=independence

witcombusa
04-19-2008, 04:03 PM
didn't we just do this.. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=42181&highlight=touring+bike

see thorn cycles ltd.

Ken Robb
04-19-2008, 05:27 PM
I have a Riv Allrounder and the Atlantis if the "ready-made" version of that. They can take tires up to 700x54, come with all the braze-ons you need for racks and fenders, nice paint w/contrasting head tubes, nice handling. What size do you ride? Riv can build one up to your specs and ship it ASAP.

Peter P.
04-19-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm gonna vote for the Bruce Gordon BLT or Rock'n Road. I think I remember itslfantastic's report of his cross country tour-that was enough to sell me on the Bruce Gordon as a tour worthy bike. Cool thing is, you could also use it for a commuter and a foul weather trainer/stuff hauler. It's just a complete package that's not so common that it's boring, as the Trek 520 is. I'd call soon and see what Bruce has available for you.

dwightskin
04-19-2008, 08:19 PM
That Co-motion Norwester is the "Sport Touring" bike. The full-on Tour Bike to compare to the Bruce Gordon is the Americano.

It may be blasphemy, but in the "off the shelf" category, Cannondale makes a great touring bike.

My Vote: Bruce Gordon.

Incidentally, Real Touring Bikes aren't that much fun to ride if you aren't touring or carrying 40 lbs of gear.

Frankwurst
04-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Incidentally, Real Touring Bikes aren't that much fun to ride if you aren't touring or carrying 40 lbs of gear.[/QUOTE]

My Atlantis with Schwalbe Big Apples is a ball to ride. It's like a tank/bulldozer/ATV go anywhere do anything bicycle. Not very quick outta the gate though. :beer:

FATBOY
04-19-2008, 08:56 PM
You cannot go wrong with Co-motion be it the Americano or the Norwester. However they are presently at a 10 to 12 week wait. If you have a line on one already built and it will work for you, do it. Indy fab is five to six on a Club Racer or Independence but will cost a little more (think $500) but are as good as anybody to talk too. Would a Rapid Tour set up be too light for what you are looking to do given that a BOB may be in your scope of reason? We have quite a few happy folks rolling on those and they are probably as good of turnaround as you will find, not too mention great bikes.

vaxn8r
04-19-2008, 10:07 PM
For the CoMo, if you are touring fully loaded think about the Americano with a beefier tubeset and 145mm spacing for the rear axle. It'll haul anything you can think of. The Norwester is OK for lightweight touring. But, if you want to ride it for other purposes, not loaded, the Nowester will be more fun to ride. As usual, decide what you want out of it.

Marcusaurelius
04-20-2008, 09:50 AM
I've toured with 40-50 lbs and the tubeset (and geometry) make a huge difference. I suppose it is possible that someone couldn't tell the difference between a steel reynolds 853 frame (True Temper OX) and a plain double butted cromoly frame; it's like telling me there's no difference between Shimano Sora parts and Dura Ace and telling me they feel the same. They both work but they are world's apart.

bgcycles
04-20-2008, 11:00 AM
I'd call soon and see what Bruce has available for you.

I'm currently almost caught up on my touring bike orders. At the present time I haved a few small frames ready to paint which could be delivered in 2 to 3 weeks. As for sizes I don't have - currently delivery time is 4 to 6 weeks.
However, that can change, since I work mostly alone - everytime I sell a bike it adds 5 to 7 days to my delivery schedule.
Any questions - feel free to give me a call (707) 762-5601
Regards,
Bruce Gordon
Bruce Gordon Cycles
www.bgcycles.com

csm
04-20-2008, 11:54 AM
trek portland. I am thinking of getting one of these as a commuter bike. the geometry is a little more "roadie" than the 520 but it comes through nicely equipped with disc brakes to boot.

eddief
04-20-2008, 02:43 PM
of course no way we could prove it, but my bet is that maybe 7 out of 10 blindfolded riders could actually tell the difference between DA and Sora.

And that less than 2 in 50 could tell the difference when riding 3 well made steel frames whether made out of 853, OX platinum, LHT tubes, or stainless...when each is loaded with 30 pounds of gear.

that said, in the end ya should ride what makes ya happy. or what you think makes you happy.

just an opinion.

Lifelover
04-20-2008, 02:46 PM
If a 56 will work, you can get a Slawta made touring frame (http://www.gvhbikes.com/photo/GaryV/56GaryVTraveller.JPG) from GVH for $600.