PDA

View Full Version : Busted flat in Baton Rouge waitin' on a train

Too Tall
09-16-2004, 06:07 PM
Yeah THAT's how I felt. Me and my tandem TT partner were about 9 miles into a TT practice session when I shift from the middle ring and the ERGO lever snaps off! No thumb sukin' here we finished the TT spinning like the fools we are.

So, all you Campag-o-philes what is the verdict? Are 2002 carbon record ERGO prone to this silliness? Does it make some sense and can I EVEN change out the flipper to an all metal Chorus flipper? Compatible?

I suppose I KNEW there was a price to pay for fashion ;) Laughing at myself.

Oh but wait, the other shoe HAD to drop right? 5k from the finish I lowered my head to hak-a-lugie and BLAM we nailed a rock which violently blew out the front tyre. Me screaming like a school girl "Unclip GREG, Unclip". Oh brother, what a day.

Your unscathed pal, TT

M_A_Martin
09-16-2004, 08:14 PM
Speaking as a former stoker...that must have been an veeeerrrrry interesting ride for your tandem partner.

vaxn8r
09-16-2004, 08:33 PM
My wife and I once had a blow out going down a canyon in Utah at about 48mph. Front tire. It was a miracle I kept the bike up and it required me to ride straight into the curving traffic lanes. Thankfully no cars were coming down at the moment. When I finally got the bike stopped, we both got off, sat down on the guard rail and neither one of us spoke for about 3 minutes. Then I got up and started changing the tire. She still rides with me. In fact I became a "captain hero" of sorts because she never thought I was going to keep the bike up.

I've had surprisingly few things break on my tandem, not sure why as everyone knows how hard tandems are on components. We did disintegrate an XTR RD once going up Laguna Canyon in SoCal once. That put an end to that ride. We used a hwy call box to get help...pre cell-phone days.

We also destroyed a WTB rear hub climbing our 16% short hill we live on. Of course we were pulling our daughter on her tag along and our other two kids behind her in the Burly. Quite a train we had going there. WTB was very good about it and replaced the hub for no charge.

Too Tall
09-17-2004, 05:43 AM
M.A.M. - Greg later said he wondered what all the fuss was...totally clueless. Gotta love that!

Let's get back to the Record flipper issue.

Andreu
09-17-2004, 06:11 AM
Are you stoking or steering?
How is the training going for your Big event? Was this event done in your potential gold medal winning partnership.
Sorry if you posted this information elsewhere.
I remember you said you were training for the Para olympics....the one event in the world that truly does get my respect and admiration.
Update please!
A :beer:
PS... flipper....The only problematic Campagnolo flipper I have ever had was when a friendly French baggage handler decided to drop my bike bag (+bike) on its end! Result = broken flipper....canīt say I have had any other problems. How is the set up for a tandem.....do you need more cable (and therefore more force) to change gears?
A :bike:

William
09-17-2004, 06:38 AM
Oh but wait, the other shoe HAD to drop right? 5k from the finish I lowered my head to hak-a-lugie and BLAM we nailed a rock which violently blew out the front tyre.

You sure that wasn't Bobbie McGee you ran over there? :rolleyes: :)

Just curious, did the flipper snap at the hinge point (for lack of a better word...need caffeine :) ) or midstream?

William

Jeff N.
09-17-2004, 08:27 AM
So heres to Campy's rebuild-ability, right Campy fans? Jeff N.

zap
09-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Yes, that plastic "flipper" can break if one jams it to hard. Easy enough to do during a high pressure situation during a race.

Call the good folks up in Boston...

Too Tall
09-17-2004, 12:47 PM
Jeff, you only get to cheer IF you give me some Campy-insight(tm) :cool: It appears the flipper is available asa repair part and from the diagrams I've been able to find I can fit an all metal chorus in place....glory days.
Andreu, I was recruited to race tandem at a paralympic development camp at the US Olympic Training Center in Colorado last month and it is my hope to qualify for the Paralympic team next yr. During the camp we were timed in the Kilo and Pursuit. Our pursuit time was fast enough to qualify us...but this was not an official event. Thanks for the nice words. Agreed, Paralympics are a totally wonderful endevour and I hope to go further with it. No, rigging a tandem with ERGO is really no different than a single bike. Gears require no additional force if properly setup....yes we do need looooong wires ;) I am the CAPTAIN...and a (tall) control freak.

M_A_Martin
09-17-2004, 01:07 PM
Too Tall,

Are you using high zoot really slippery cables?

(Just a thought for making life easier on the little mouse ear...)

Too Tall
09-17-2004, 01:53 PM
M.A.M. Nope! plain old 3000mm campag cables work fine.

F.Y.I. - Campy is repairable. $49 for the flipper and $4.88 for the repair maual. Listen for the shriek in a couple weeks.

Ozz
09-17-2004, 03:09 PM
...Does it make some sense and can I EVEN change out the flipper to an all metal Chorus flipper? Compatible?...

I asked this question last year and never got an answer. It sounds like it is possible. Please advise of the outcome!

The plastic "flipper" is my only complaint of the Record 10sp...it just feels cheap and flimsy, and it appears to be so.

vaxn8r
09-17-2004, 03:45 PM
I used Campy 8 sp. on my tandem for a couple of years. I had a plastic flipper too. Whatever the group below Chorus...that's what I had. Never seemed to be a problem. Shifting is no more stress on a tandem than a single.

Jeff N.
09-17-2004, 03:46 PM
I asked this question last year and never got an answer. It sounds like it is possible. Please advise of the outcome!

The plastic "flipper" is my only complaint of the Record 10sp...it just feels cheap and flimsy, and it appears to be so.It feels that way because...it is! I tend to prefer certain components that aren't repairable but rarely, if ever, break down. Jeff N.

Orin
09-17-2004, 04:07 PM
More than you'd need to know here:

Ergo parts at Branford Bike (http://www.branfordbike.com/brake/brk05.html)

The flippers and brake levers are interchangeable, though Branford have a few rights where they seem to mean lefts in the above pages.

Wouldn't a 2k2 lever still be under warranty?

Orin.

Too Tall
09-18-2004, 07:38 AM
The lever did not break due to a a hard shift. (Tim??) at Branford was not surprised when I hinted that this was a JRA ;) He said that they see it all the time. Yes, it probably is a warranty item BUT as RossannRosannadanna says "nevermind" I'm not up for the hassle. Branford does not directly handle the warranty...apparently the piece has to ship to Campy USA for their guys to shake a bag of bones at and read tea leaves or whatevuh the OH NURSE they do!

The all metal Chorus flipper is on it's way. I'll post a pic. or something if anyone is interested in a retrofit. BUT Next time....I'm sure I'll buy the uberstupidlight stuff again ;)

Dekonick
09-18-2004, 07:23 PM
Branford bike will also do the repair for you if you send them the ergo. I believe the pre 2004 stuff is all compatible so you can use a centaur lever (which is equal to record metal one when they were metal) - just call em and ask. They were a huge help when I was looking at upgrading my ergo 9's to 10sp (which I will do as soon as this casette is shot which will be a long time as its on my spare bike)

PBWrench
09-18-2004, 09:05 PM
TT-- I also had a 2002 Ergo flipper flip out on me. I had flown with my bike (in a Trico case) to Ft. Lauderdale and was going to meet up with Russ for a few days of cycling. 1 mile into my first ride the lever snapped off and I had to buy a new set at Racers Edge in Boca -- they were very helpful. I've also been told that the flipper is repairable -- haven't gotten around to it yet. Let me know how your turns out. By the way, I like doin' biz with Branford.

Too Tall
09-20-2004, 06:15 AM
Willm'. yeah it broke on the hinge. There are two loops which a rivet passes through. The inboard loop cracked and went bye bye and the outboard loop broke above the rivet.
Ozz. I'll let you know how the retrofit goes. Looks to be a nobrainer.