PDA

View Full Version : Rohloff Hubs

sevencyclist
04-18-2008, 01:24 PM
I have been intrigued by Rohloff hubs for mountainbiking which would avoid the dreaded chainsuck problem. Does anyone have experience with the 14 speed hubs?

How about the overall weight of the bike when you take in consideration of heavier hub, but probably lighter chain, no derailers, casset, multiple shifter, chainrings etc? Their website also talked about better effiency due to straight gearing, cleaner chainline etc. Thanks.

sg8357
04-18-2008, 01:36 PM
www.bikelist.org, check the archives of the touring list.
Lots and lots of info. pay particular attention to alex wetmore.

dmgry
04-18-2008, 04:48 PM
I have about 500 miles on a Speedhub that I put on what had been my SS. I notice the increased weight only when I lift the bike, but not while riding. The increased weight does not seem to effect the handling of the bike in any way that I can notice.

I am, however, not that happy with the shifting. Please understand that I am nit picking here. It is often necessary to time the shift while at the bottom end of the pedal stroke. I also experience a rough shift in the middle range. I ride in the Los Angeles area where wet weather shifting problems are a non issue. It is a great concept, but I don't think I would do it again given the choice.

Dave