PDA

View Full Version : Amazing flanders footage

mjb266
04-17-2008, 11:17 AM
wow

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1504447570&channel=1351810759

CarbonCycles
04-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Now that makes for a long and bad day...anyone catch that riders name and hopefully they are okay.

Chris
04-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Broke his arm as I recall. Piss poor handling skills. You gotta be able to handle undulations in the road if you are pro...

David Kirk
04-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Broke his arm as I recall. Piss poor handling skills. You gotta be able to handle undulations in the road if you are pro...

Curb at 30 mph, undulation, whatever it takes.

dave

saab2000
04-17-2008, 11:34 AM
His name is Angel Gomez and he ran into that curb I think. Sucks.

Chris
04-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Curb at 30 mph, undulation, whatever it takes.

dave

220, 221

Big Daddy
04-17-2008, 12:32 PM

not as easy in the arm chair tho...

Grant McLean
04-17-2008, 01:13 PM
that flat spot in the front wheel isn't going to true out...
I hope he recovers well. (the curb looks ok)

Howie Meeker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howie_Meeker) taught me to never skate
with your head down...

-g

Fat Robert
04-17-2008, 01:18 PM

bull

he's a climber, stuck in a race his team and he could care less about, and he's hammering 30+ to get back on the tail of a group. he had his head down and bought it on a curb that juts out into the road.

he has piss poor handling skills like i have a VO2 of 95

coylifut
04-17-2008, 01:40 PM
bull

he's a climber, stuck in a race his team and he could care less about, and he's hammering 30+ to get back on the tail of a group. he had his head down and bought it on a curb that juts out into the road.

agree with my fat friend here. Has nothing to do with handling skills. he's cross eyed trying to get on the wheel in front of him, head down and pounding away. If you look at the clip again, you'll see that the rider in front of him was able to flick around it.

someone once did something similar in a a race and the guy died right in front of me. his name was Charles Christensen. He was a very solid rider, who put his head down and was dead 5 seconds later. Christoph and I were first on the scene.

Chris
04-17-2008, 02:15 PM
uh...I was kidding guys... What kind of handling skills can one employ when the guy in front of you barely escapes the curb that just popped up in front of you while you are going 30+?

swoop
04-17-2008, 02:17 PM
throw a handful of cow**** and roadgrime in your eyes and add some tunnel vision and fatigue and then fog your glasses. i'd imagine we had a much better view than he did.

ClutchCargo
04-17-2008, 03:04 PM
bull

Maybe it's just me, but I thought he was joking. Does seem like even a pro ought to look where he's going . . .

:bike:

Keith A
04-17-2008, 03:21 PM
...that just popped up in front of you while you are going 30+?It does appear that they had a flag man there warning the riders of the danger.

swoop
04-17-2008, 03:49 PM
a few years ago i did valley of the sun as a fugging 4... it was pissing rain and cold and you were shivering even though you were on the rivet. if you had glasses on you couldn't see out of them and if you took them off you couldn't see at all. the rain and the spray were like bb pellets in the face.
i gave a kid next to me all my food because he was so hyperthermic that i thought he'd die.

i made the last lap selection of like thirty guys... its was miserable. we all can't see for sheeet and start sprinting for the finish on the last hill. i thought wow.. decent result.. 2nd in a road race. it was the freaking feed zone tent about 300 meters before the finish line.
we blew it.. i think i rolled in at 14th or 18th or 11th, i can't remember.. way out of the money. its hard to race blind.

what i learned was this... when you're cold and its dirty and wet... you really cant see anything. its just soft focus blur and misery.

all he did was put his head down and i'm got ten bucks he asked his body to react but it wasn't having it. if it was hard for me as a cat 4... its a diffeent world of hard for those guys doing d-1.

i know for fact those races in belgium are insane ... you're pegged and there's oftentimes a nice delay between the neurons firing and the engine room...

and as we know from that test we all took with the dancing gorilla outfit... if you don't expect to see something.. its just not there. he wasn't expecting to see the curb shoot out... he was burying himself to get on.

but we can watch it on a clear flatscreen and not while shivering to death with nothing in our eyes and have no idea what that dude went through. its hard to think at threshold.

Chris
04-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Guys Guys Guys, it was JOKE. There is no way that crash was going to be avoided, despite the gendarme standing there. When you are on the rivet and have spent the last several miles in the red while admiring the derailleur on the bike in front of you, you aren't looking up to see if there is a cop with a flag. You are trusting that the guy in front of you moves in enough time to allow you to move too. Basically, the further you are back in that line, the less reaction time you have because it decreases in chunks from the guy up front to you. Angel trusted the guy in front of him, and that was his downfall. The problem, is that if he hadn't, he wouldn't have made it that far. I ribbed him for bike handling because the statement was so preposterous that I figured everyone would get a chuckle. Now I have some fat guy mad at me...

Fat Robert
04-17-2008, 05:16 PM
I ribbed him for bike handling because the statement was so preposterous that I figured everyone would get a chuckle. Now I have some fat guy mad at me...

hey, you never know on the forum

you get some porky dudes who never break the 20mph barrier under their own power who step up and comment on framebuilding and racing, and some pretty preposterous stuff starts to fly....

you're ok by me

so who is this fat guy who's mad at you?

i'm a slim 8% body fat (which is fat, compared to ten years ago)

Chris
04-17-2008, 05:20 PM
If you are at 8% then I am the fat one. I'm cool with myself though... :)