04-17-2008, 08:26 AM
thinking about a tubular wheelset and like these two rims because they are:

- alloy material
- low profile
- lightweight
- double eyelets
- anodized surface

how does one decide between the two?

i suppose either would work well enough for my purposes but in trying to understand the difference, i have heard from a reliable source (someone who has used both over long periods of time for many years and is otherwise unbiased) that:

- the ambrosio crono f20 "comes out of true often"
- the mavic reflex "tends to crack after 4-5,000 miles"

i am 165lbs and would use these for aggressive riding (not racing) on quite imperfect roads.

do you have any experiences with these rims that you'd like to share?

:) :) :)

roman meal
04-17-2008, 08:54 AM
why not an ambrosio nemesis? I mean, you listed five criteria, and the nemesis meets every one except maybe it is a bit heavier, but not by much. It will last much longer then the f20.

musgravecycles
04-17-2008, 09:07 AM
F20's are awfully light bro.

Atmo the Nemesis is the best box-section rim available...

Spicoli
04-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Ive had several sets of both and would go Ambrosio. Mavics have smoother brake track but tend to crack at the eyelets on the sets that I have had. F20's are fairley tuff but tension has to be absolutley perfect otherwise they can get kinda wacky. F20's hit the scales at a regular 355grams while the lightest reflex's I have had are all over 400gr. If the weight is not an issue get the Nemisis, its the best metal tub available IMHO. So basically I think all in all the F20's hold up better than the Reflex in the long run. My 2 cents.

dave1215
04-17-2008, 10:12 AM
roman and mus (if i may call you by your first names),

yes, the nemesis. that's cool but about 90 grams heavier than the crono, no? one of the things i was hoping to experience with tubulars was the lighter rotational weight that that format provides. the nemesis weighs as much as a mavic open pro iirc. if i need it i need it. so 340 grams is too light for an alloy tubular rim to be durable?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

dave1215
04-17-2008, 10:19 AM
...tension has to be absolutley perfect otherwise they can get kinda wacky...

meaning, (a) get them built right or (b) check the tension every morning?

:)

roman meal
04-17-2008, 10:33 AM
roman and mus (if i may call you by your first names),

yes, the nemesis. that's cool but about 50 grams heavier than the crono, no? one of the things i was hoping to experience with tubulars was the lighter rotational weight that that format provides. the nemesis weighs as much as a mavic open pro iirc. if i need it i need it. so 375 grams is too light for an alloy tubular rim to be durable?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I look at the wheel as the sum of things, so 50 grams doesn't bother me (I'm 6'3", 190) if the wheel is built well. With tubular v clincher it may not be the difference in weight issue any longer as it was in the past, but the total package (all of the things discussed in tub v clincher threads, rolling, cornering, flats, etc.)

I ride tubulars, need a road low profile rim, and chose the nemesis, and really haven't thought about it since.

if performance/weight is the sole issue, then there are other tubular options, no? I like cane creek volos tubular for cross, b/c they wind up nicely in the muck- the nipples were moved to the hub end.

I don't think the riders in Paris-Roubaix were cursing the penalty of more rotational weight as they were riding last Sunday. In fact, I think Magnus B was cursing the lack of it in the Arenberg forest.

dave1215
04-17-2008, 11:05 AM
...I ride tubulars, need a road low profile rim, and chose the nemesis, and really haven't thought about it since.

if performance/weight is the sole issue, then there are other tubular options, no? I like cane creek volos tubular for cross, b/c they wind up nicely in the muck- the nipples were moved to the hub end.

I don't think the riders in Paris-Roubaix were cursing the penalty of more rotational weight as they were riding last Sunday. In fact, I think Magnus B was cursing the lack of it in the Arenberg forest.

good points, thanks mr. meal.

:beer:

shinomaster
04-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Score some lightly used tubular neutrons/nucleons on the e-Bay.

Spicoli
04-17-2008, 01:00 PM
meaning, (a) get them built right or (b) check the tension every morning?

:)
Meaning get them built right with perfectly balanced tension, not too high not too low and must be even throughout. Many heavier rims can function a little uneven, but F20's are on the limit of minimal material. So they can get warped if not built well. Also dont go by the 340gr. number that may be without eyelets or something since I have had atleast 5-6 sets of them over the years and they all weighed 355 or 356. Its all opinion, some may have horror stories of components you or I may love. If building a set tommorow though I would go Nemisis at this point and keep them forever.

FYI you may negate the weight difference by having to spoke them a little heavier too? So a Nemisis may close that weight gap? Add it all up and then make a choice?

Good luck :beer:

chrisroph
04-17-2008, 01:11 PM
nemesis or nos gp4's will build great wheels.

paczki
04-17-2008, 01:14 PM
PM 11.4 and ask if he still has the Chris King/Paris-Roubaix SSCs. Heavy but damned indestructible and so fun to ride. You want to initiate contact with potholes!