PDA

View Full Version : salsa S.U.L quill stem max rise?

fierte_poser
04-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Anyone have a salsa S.U.L quill stem lying about? If so, would you mind measuring the distance from the min insertion line to the center point of the intersection between the two 'tubes'. I'm most interested in the that dimension for the 90* version, but I would graciously accept measurements from the 75* or 105* version as well.

I ask because I'm trying to set up my old school Bianchi to be closer to my current fit numbers. I would like to try to use the salsa stem due to the faceplate design. Just need to see how much rise I can get out of the 90* version.

Thanks,
Kent

Keith A
04-16-2008, 05:12 PM
I don't have the S.U.L version, but rather the older clamp style -- but it is a 90º stem. I measure about 1 3/4" from the MAX (as stamped on the stem) line to the center of where the stem meets the quill.

woolly
04-16-2008, 05:12 PM
My memory on this may not be correct, but I seem to recall these to not all be created equal. I believe the newer batches have more quill length than the first SUL ones they rolled out. Can anyone confirm or disprove this hunch?

Keith A
04-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Why not just contact Salsa and ask them? pman@salsacycles.com

eddief
04-16-2008, 07:50 PM
and the measurement from min line to the center of where the two tubes meet is 5 cm.

I can also tell you this is an older stem and the Salsa that just replaced it is brand new and the quill is just a bit longer, but I can't tell ya the difference in the measurements cause it's been inserted in the Kogswell.

fierte_poser
04-17-2008, 02:35 PM
FYI,

Called Salsa and they said all of their quill stems are now designed with 40mm from the min insertion line to the center point of the intersection between the quill and the stem. Here are two pics...one from excel and one from salsa. Seems like 40mm could be reasonable.

Not sure 40mm is enough rise for this application. We'll see.

Kent

Keith A
04-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Not sure 40mm is enough rise for this application. We'll see. Why not try to find a longer one on eBay? There's usually several of them up for auction.

fierte_poser
04-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Why not try to find a longer one on eBay? There's usually several of them up for auction.

That's a possibility too. I guess the real question is how much time/energy/money do I spend getting my 'old' bike updated to my 'new' bike's contact points.

Another question would be how the heck will my old bike handle once I update it. :confused:

I don't want to sell the old bike, but I would like to be able to ride it on occasion.

Keith A
04-17-2008, 03:44 PM
That's a possibility too. I guess the real question is how much time/energy/money do I spend getting my 'old' bike updated to my 'new' bike's contact points.Since you aren't in any hurry (cause you have a bike to ride), just pick up the parts here and there until you have what you need.

Another question would be how the heck will my old bike handle once I update it. :confused:How does it handle now? Unless you are doing something really drastic -- which is doubtful, then changing out the stem, handlebars, etc isn't going to change how it handles. For the most part, how a bike handles is dictated by the frame & fork -- which you are not changing.

Keith A
04-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Here's a classic Salsa stem (http://cgi.ebay.com/Classic-Salsa-Handlebar-Stem_W0QQitemZ230243433435QQihZ013QQcategoryZ42333 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) on eBay right now. It's 110mm long with a 90º angle. I'd be surprised if it goes for more than $30 to $40 plus shipping.