PDA

View Full Version : portland

Fixed
04-16-2008, 03:28 PM
the best place in the world next to amsterdam for cyclist ..

why not everywhere ?
cheers

nobrakes
04-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks, fixed. Florida's warmer.

shinomaster
04-16-2008, 03:31 PM
I disagree. It rains too much here. There is too much climbing and MP highways and strip malls.

myette10
04-16-2008, 03:33 PM
the best place in the world next to amsterdam for cyclist ..

why not everywhere ?
cheers
good question. the answer is disheartening.

sg8357
04-16-2008, 03:50 PM
France is good for little tiny well marked roads.
M. Michelin provides great cyclist friendly maps and
excellent guidance on where to eat.

chrisroph
04-16-2008, 04:03 PM
I disagree. It rains too much here. There is too much climbing and MP highways and strip malls.

The rain can get to be much this time of the year but you can ride year round pretty easily.

shino you're riding in the worng places. One of the great things about Oregon is real urban growth boundaries. Once you get outside of them--about 2 miles from my house--you are in the country.

shinomaster
04-16-2008, 04:10 PM
The rain can get to be much this time of the year but you can ride year round pretty easily.

shino you're riding in the worng places. One of the great things about Oregon is real urban growth boundaries. Once you get outside of them--about 2 miles from my house--you are in the country.

Ok, find me a nice one bedroom in LakeO for $630. a month. :rolleyes:

Ozz
04-16-2008, 04:13 PM
chuckle chuckle...... :beer:

My sister lives in Woodburn and says it's pretty nice.....you have to watch out for farm equipment though....and shoppers at the outlet center. ;)

chrisroph
04-16-2008, 04:22 PM

I'll rent you my shed for that.

How is your hip? Ever see Ralph?

shinomaster
04-16-2008, 04:23 PM
The hip is way way better, but now I have a stomach flu. Yuk! His wait wa bit long so no on the Doctor. I'm just taking it easy for now. How big is your shed? Does it have a fireplace?

taylorj
04-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Portland is lovely. So many cool bike shops! Amsterdam is great for bike commuting, but rather crowded for going on a long open road ride. Too much rain in both though. I lived in Nederland for a spell and spent a year commuting back forth between Portland and SF (by plane getting there but by bike in each city).

Any city that has Dave Guettler and Mark Ontiveros though is a great city for biking (and life) as far as I am concerned. River City rules!

CaptStash
04-16-2008, 06:46 PM
I'm looking forward to spending May and June in Portland. Planning to do the LiveStrong century as long as I'm gonna' be in the neighborhood anyway. I will be living in Beaverton. Where should I ride and does anybody have any suggestions for group rides in the vicinity?

CaptStash....

PS: Is it reliably dry by late June? (It isn't here in Seattle, but I am trying to talk my wife into doing the ride too and she is balking at the thought of doing it in the rain -- it rained during the ride last year, but that was in September.)

AgilisMerlin
04-16-2008, 06:57 PM
portland maine

............nanook of the north, up here.........is this where you are referencing............

we are in a spring drought right now.......mowed my yard today, cooked 4lbs of hamburger on the grill..........

i am in heaven...............

nobrakes
04-16-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm looking forward to spending May and June in Portland. Planning to do the LiveStrong century as long as I'm gonna' be in the neighborhood anyway. I will be living in Beaverton. Where should I ride and does anybody have any suggestions for group rides in the vicinity?

CaptStash....

PS: Is it reliably dry by late June? (It isn't here in Seattle, but I am trying to talk my wife into doing the ride too and she is balking at the thought of doing it in the rain -- it rained during the ride last year, but that was in September.)

I worked the rest stop last year-it was truly miserable. Portland weather is just as predictable as Seattle in May or June.

PM me-I live on the West side-can inform on some cool group rides.

nobrakes
04-16-2008, 07:03 PM
portland maine

............nanook of the north, up here.........is this where you are referencing............

we are in a spring drought right now.......mowed my yard today, cooked 4lbs of hamburger on the grill..........

i am in heaven...............

The tropical portland!

Here, the weather folks were predicting snow for the weekend!