PDA

View Full Version : Another cyclist is killed

Keith A
04-16-2008, 03:12 PM
I know there are many deaths each day related to automobile accidents, but somehow it just seems more tragic when a cyclist's life is taken by an auto. In this case, the cyclist was a "safety fanatic" and here's a quote from the newspaper article...

"Roseman was such a safety fanatic, he bought pamphlets with his own money and handed them out. He had served as chairman of the county's Bicycle Pedestrian Advisory Committee that advises the county's Metropolitan Planning Organization on bike lanes and paths, sidewalks and safety for people walking and riding."

Here's the link to the article (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/treasurecoast/content/tcoast/epaper/2008/04/11/0411mcbike.html). It states that the driver of the vehicle ran a red light because his water bottle fell on the floor :mad:

Fixed
04-16-2008, 03:18 PM
that sucks imho bro I feel for his dad

jimcav
04-16-2008, 03:21 PM
too many drivers too complacent with doing all sorts of things except paying attention to the missile they guide.
my thoughts are with those forced to go on without him. to the killer--well i'll hold some for him too.

nobrakes
04-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Yes, another senseless death. We've had our share here also. Seems "distracted driver" is always the accompanied explanation used to describe the cause.

ThasFACE
04-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Oh man, this kind of thing makes me so angry. I really hope that the prosecutor doesn't decline to prosecute.

jimcav
04-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Oh man, this kind of thing makes me so angry. I really hope that the prosecutor doesn't decline to prosecute.
the criminal thing seems useless--even if they do it the sentence is often so sad. how about a wrongful death civil suit?

AndreS
04-16-2008, 04:07 PM

This is what the legal system is for. To look at the infraction, take into account the circumstances, the history of the individuals involved, and come to a decision as to whether to prosecute, what charge, etc.

It seems a little premature to decide that the guy driving the truck should be punished. Unfortunately, no amount of punishment of the people who commit these types of infractions is going to stop accidents from happening. People are not machines, and we WILL make mistakes.

I know that I myself am not a perfect driver, and if there had been a cyclist, pedestrian, another car, etc. in the wrong place when I was distracted or made some other mistake then I could be a killer, as well. I remember vividly accidentally running a red light in Wash. D.C. because the lights were down low on the side of the road instead of overhead. Never saw the light until too late. If there had been a pedestrian crossing the street or a cyclist in the intersection, should I have been charged with manslaughter?

jimcav
04-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Never saw the light until too late. If there had been a pedestrian crossing the street or a cyclist in the intersection, should I have been charged with manslaughter?

although for those circumstances i'm sure the degree of manslaughter and sentence would likely have been pretty pale in comparison to the lives destroyed, maybe such a driver could even successfully sue the city for not putting ligths where he expected them...

that said, sure i can think of a four times where i missed a stop sign, but in every case, i was aware it was an intersection, i was looking for cars--and if there had been a car approaching, let alone something in front of me, i'd have stopped.

jim

gone
04-16-2008, 04:34 PM
It seems especially tragic that he predeceased his elderly father that he was caring for.

As I said in the last thread reporting a cyclist being killed, in cynical moments I wonder whether it's a certainty that if you ride long enough you'll be killed. I know that statistically it's not true but nevertheless I know a number of long time riders that have been killed - it sometimes feels like it's inevitable.

So very sad.

nobrakes
04-16-2008, 05:00 PM
It seems especially tragic that he predeceased his elderly father that he was caring for.

As I said in the last thread reporting a cyclist being killed, in cynical moments I wonder whether it's a certainty that if you ride long enough you'll be killed. I know that statistically it's not true but nevertheless I know a number of long time riders that have been killed - it sometimes feels like it's inevitable.

So very sad.
I sure hope not! After my near-death accident 2 years ago, I'm finally getting able to hang with the group. I'd hope all my hard work, which included learning how to walk, talk, and ride all over again, won't have been just to be taken out by the inevitable. Old age seems more appealing. It is a sad situation though, when this happens to such a dedicated individual.

Louis
04-16-2008, 05:05 PM
and often road at night when he had a little free time. He was keenly aware of the dangers.

Seems minor, given the tragedy, but stuff like this also pisses me off.

thejen12
04-16-2008, 05:50 PM
I remember vividly accidentally running a red light in Wash. D.C. because the lights were down low on the side of the road instead of overhead. Never saw the light until too late. If there had been a pedestrian crossing the street or a cyclist in the intersection, should I have been charged with manslaughter?
Perhaps you would have noticed a pedestrian or cyclist in the intersection, even if you didn't notice the red light off to the side of the road? Unless you were fumbling around on the floor to find your water bottle and not looking at the road at all, which would be reckless of you.

Jenn

thwart
04-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Unless you were fumbling around on the floor to find your water bottle and not looking at the road at all, which would be reckless of you. We all have made mistakes while driving, no doubt.

But until careless driving is taken seriously, it is more likely to continue.

The kid deserves a just punishment. Perhaps caring for the surviving father for the next 5 years would work... 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Incontinent episodes included.

soulspinner
04-17-2008, 06:17 AM
I sure hope not! After my near-death accident 2 years ago, I'm finally getting able to hang with the group. I'd hope all my hard work, which included learning how to walk, talk, and ride all over again, won't have been just to be taken out by the inevitable. Old age seems more appealing. It is a sad situation though, when this happens to such a dedicated individual.

If I may take the liberty thanks for posting this. It gives me inspiration. You are THE MAN.

ThasFACE
04-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Never saw the light until too late. If there had been a pedestrian crossing the street or a cyclist in the intersection, should I have been charged with manslaughter?

No, I don't think that you should in your scenario, but that hypothetical is _very_ different from one where a driver decides to fully take his/her eyes off of the road to pick up a water bottle (or send a text message or get dressed or apply makeup or whatever).

The point is that when people completely take their eyes off of the road to complete some sort of task, they are deciding that completion of that task is more important than ensuring that their 3000lb moving weapon doesn't harm someone or something. Recklessness really comes into play when drivers make these jackass decisions in areas with pedestrians/cyclists/rollerbladers/etc.

If the facts of this case are essentially that the driver dropped his water bottle, reached down to pick it up, fully took his eyes off of the road (as in looking down into the foot area for the bottle) and then hit the cyclist, then I would go for manslaughter.

Keith A
04-17-2008, 08:46 AM
that sucks imho bro I feel for his dadI really feel sorry for his father! I really hope that there is someone else that can step in and help his dad. If not, I can't imagine how alone and helpless his father must feel.

AndreS
04-17-2008, 11:51 AM
If the facts of this case are essentially that the driver dropped his water bottle, reached down to pick it up, fully took his eyes off of the road (as in looking down into the foot area for the bottle) and then hit the cyclist, then I would go for manslaughter.

Then I think we disagree. If it was purely a mistake, i.e. the water bottle fell and the guy instinctively went to catch it (say, to preven it from spilling) then I don't think that is a criminally negligent act. Talking on cell or texting, OTOH, is criminal in my mind.

At any rate this is an academic debate, and I don't want to give anyone the impression that I've lost sight of the fact that this was a tradgedy for the cyclist and his family - and that it happened even though the cyclist did everything right.

taylorj
04-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Then I think we disagree. If it was purely a mistake, i.e. the water bottle fell and the guy instinctively went to catch it (say, to preven it from spilling) then I don't think that is a criminally negligent act. Talking on cell or texting, OTOH, is criminal in my mind.

At any rate this is an academic debate, and I don't want to give anyone the impression that I've lost sight of the fact that this was a tradgedy for the cyclist and his family - and that it happened even though the cyclist did everything right.

I think we all see how this "could have been me" (who dropped the bottle and took their eyes off the road for a milli-second). It is your job as a driver to be diligent always and you sign up for the consequences when you are not. Perhaps a mistake. But it doesn't matter. Nothing is black and white (which is why there are lawyers), but it really is your job to see red lights, stop signs and cyclists and pedestrian's, etc., everywhere at all times. Even if it means water spills on your floor. Not so easy. It really is a priveledge, not a right to drive. And a license to drive is not a license to kill---even by accident. I feel for all the parties involved.

Ride safe out there!

Bill Bove
04-17-2008, 02:41 PM
I knew Don. I wished I talked to him more. I wish I rode with him more. I wish I drank more beer with him. I wish he were still around todo all of that with him more.

I will be at his killers court appearences.

Don was the sole caretakers for his elderly dad. There is talk of a memorial ride and maybe creating a fund for his da,

Keith A
04-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Don was the sole caretakers for his elderly dad.That's what I was afraid of...now who will take care of him? :(

Fixed
04-17-2008, 03:15 PM
bro didn't it say he had a brother in north fla.

Keith A
04-17-2008, 03:24 PM
bro didn't it say he had a brother in north fla.Good catch Fixed...hopefully he will be able to take over for Don.