PDA

View Full Version : New Stem Suggestions

Acotts
04-16-2008, 07:50 AM
I am not going to lie. This post is superficial at best. If you have a problem with that, please don’t respond. I am fully aware a new stem will not make me faster.

I was thinking of replacing my old and busted (figure of speech) bontrager stem with something a little more fun, with a little sex appeal. I am currently thinking about a 3T mutant, or a Cinelli Groove--nothing as foppish as the Cinelli Alter.

If stems were bikes…I would be looking for a Cervelo (for those of you who are right brain thinkers)

I personally do not have a preference between carbon and alum. I lean towards alum simply for the price as I AM FULLY AWARE THAT A STEM WILL NOT MAKE ME FASTER. I do like the glossy carbon look. Weight isn't a major concern.

I can ride on anything from a -6 deg to a -10 deg stem.

Also, has anyone seen folks put silver stem on a bike with a black headset, and black bars. I wonder if it can be pulled off if done just right?

Thanks.

Kirk Pacenti
04-16-2008, 08:08 AM
my personal favorite. -6* & -17*, gloss black, what more could you want?

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/web/Ritchey~Logic/Ritchey~Site/Templates/eproducts_single.aspx?id=28841

Ahneida Ride
04-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Thompson really beefed up the front end of my Legend.

It replaced the original issue "Serotta" stem.

Dave
04-16-2008, 08:30 AM

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/web/Ritchey~Logic/Ritchey~Site/Templates/eproducts_single.aspx?id=28841

Me too. I've been using the 4-axis since it first came out. Of course you can pay a lot more for the carbon version.

Fixed
04-16-2008, 08:33 AM
bro you are lucky to get advise from mr pacenti take it he knows what he's talking about
cheers
imho

Acotts
04-16-2008, 08:33 AM
At 125 grams, I can't imagine there being much of a weight savings between the alum and carbon.

That said, I dig the glossy black. Thanks for the advice. I think some shine up front could do wonders.

Kindly,
-A

mschol17
04-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Stella!

Stella Azzurra Vice Versa Mag is really nice, and cool looking. Matte black, though.

I like the WCS, too.

A.L.Breguet
04-16-2008, 08:52 AM
if it makes you happy, it actually might make you faster. :beer:
Check out Yamaguchi's web site.

Acotts
04-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Oohhh...I forgot about that.

Unfortunately, I cant. I have banned myself from the Yamaguchi website.

Different strokes for different folks. I love my Serotta. I think Vanilla's look awesome, and RS has done his thing for a long time....but the Guchis get me hot and I dont know why.

To me...they look like something that Howard Roark, from the Fountainhead would design, had he been a bike builder instead of an architect.

cool stems though. I will get one with my next bike. :)

Blue Jays
04-16-2008, 09:52 AM
"...At 125 grams, I can't imagine there being much of a weight savings between the alum and carbon. That said, I dig the glossy black. Thanks for the advice. I think some shine up front could do wonders..."The wonderful Ritchey WCS 4Axis Carbon stem is actually aluminum alloy encased with carbon fiber. It essentially has the best of both worlds with virtually identical weight.

http://ritcheylogic.com/web/Ritchey~Logic/Ritchey~Site/assets/Products/Road/Stems/stem_wcs_matrix4axis.jpg

RudAwkning
04-16-2008, 10:05 AM

Don't know the color of your bike, but I think they've got a "limited" gloss white version too.

With Brooks doing that limited edition white Swallow, I guess white is the new black :D

coloclimber
04-16-2008, 10:10 AM
A well engineered Cervelo of stems would be the Rotor S1. Its my current favorite. Use some Tacx paste and a torque wrench and you are set.

I can provide some feedback on stems since I have owned and ridden the following stems: FSA OS-99, Deda Newton, Bontrager XXX lite carbon, Bontrager Race X Lite (various aluminum versions), Oval Concepts (cant recall model), Easton EC90, Easton EA90, Syntace F99, Syntace F119, Rotor S1, Ritchey WCS, Time Mono.

I want to try the New 3t ARX Team. It a decent price and looks cool. As do the white ITM stems.

My favorite for weight and stiffness combo is the Rotor S1. It is well engineered, light and stiff. Its not cheap though. Second favorite for stiffness vs weight is the Deda.

davids
04-16-2008, 10:29 AM
I like the Ritchey WCS and the Oval Concepts R700.

They are not particularly bling, but both Ritchey and Oval Concepts make a 'carbon wrap' stem, too. If there's a benefit from the carbon fiber beyond appearance, I don't get it, though.

MIN
04-16-2008, 10:46 AM
The new 3T stuff is nice.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e211/gbae007/IMG_0174.jpg

michael white
04-16-2008, 11:38 AM
what I like about the Ritchey is how solid they are. I don't think much about Ritchey stems when I ride Ritchey stems, but when riding other brands, if that makes sense.

mosca
04-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Count me among the Ritchey 4-axis lovers - clean looking, many sizes/angles, reasonably stiff... and that new gloss black finish is hot, I'm gonna need some of those. But maybe I should splurge on the carbon model - according to the website it's one gram lighter!

bozman
04-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Thompson really beefed up the front end of my Legend.

It replaced the original issue "Serotta" stem.

+1 on the Thomson. I just put one on the Strong. It is simple yet elegant.

taylorj
04-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Don't know the color of your bike, but I think they've got a "limited" gloss white version too.

With Brooks doing that limited edition white Swallow, I guess white is the new black :D

They do have a limited white edition. I just got one! Very sweeeet!

pdbrye
04-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Deda Zero 100 in the grey metal finish. I put one on my Kirk. Very cool and very solid, IMHO.

saab2000
04-16-2008, 06:57 PM
The new 3T stuff is nice.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e211/gbae007/IMG_0174.jpg

word

pdmtong
04-16-2008, 08:33 PM
thomson X2

capybaras
04-16-2008, 08:44 PM
Just so you know, a new stem will not make you faster.

Fivethumbs
04-17-2008, 12:14 AM
3T Forgie...for those days when you just want to show off that "I just don't give a Sh*t!" attitude.

handsomerob
04-17-2008, 12:22 AM
I am not going to lie. This post is superficial at best. If you have a problem with that, please don’t respond. I am fully aware a new stem will not make me faster.

....nothing as foppish as the Cinelli Alter.

well color me foppish then... :rolleyes:

I have been on the look out for a nice condition 10cm or 11cm in black for a while now. All the Alter stems I find seem to be 12cm or more. :confused:

KeithNYC
04-17-2008, 01:08 AM
well color me foppish then... :rolleyes:

I have been on the look out for a nice condition 10cm or 11cm in black for a while now. All the Alter stems I find seem to be 12cm or more. :confused:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed that. I've been looking for an 11cm Alter forever... :crap:

handsomerob
04-17-2008, 01:11 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed that. I've been looking for an 11cm Alter forever... :crap:

the line forms behind me... ;)

one would think with all the 1 1/8" steerers around nowadays that these 1" only stems would be more plentiful as people "upgraded"