PDA

View Full Version : Power Tap Support

keno
04-16-2008, 06:15 AM
Bought the SL 2.4 in late fall. The cpu decided to crap out at Too Tall's VA camp a few weeks ago. I called Power Tap the day I returned home and explained the problems I was having and expressed my disappointment at not having data for the camp rides. Curt, the fellow I spoke with was highly apologetic and immediately sent out a new cpu, with a return label for the cripple, and it arrived in three days. I used it for a week with no problems and sent the defective one back yesterday at their cost.

I had a problem with an older unit a few years back and received similar, trusting treatment (didn't need the bad unit to send a new one).

If considering a power unit, from experience I can say that Power Tap customer support is as good as I've had from any other vendor.

keno

davidlee
04-16-2008, 07:13 AM
+1 . My head unit( wireless 2.4) went down a few weeks ago and they immediately sent another one . Phone support was super nice and helpful. I sent the old one back on their coin.
Best customer service I've possibly ever seen.
They've got my business for life.
davidlee

wasfast
04-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Is there any disadvantage to using the wired version besides the cabling? The nearly $600 difference in price seems a bit stiff if wireless is the perk.

For those that have been using this for a while, do you still find it advantageous or just more data?

davidlee
04-16-2008, 08:15 AM
I honestly think that knowing your power and being able to graph your progress over the year is valuable and even more so, extremely motivational.
Since I've started using one a can't imagine training/riding/racing without it .
The wireless upcharge is alot but it certanly looks clean and a breeze to install.
dl

theprep
04-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Is there any disadvantage to using the wired version besides the cabling? The nearly $600 difference in price seems a bit stiff if wireless is the perk.

For those that have been using this for a while, do you still find it advantageous or just more data?

It should only be a $300 difference between the wireless 2.4 and the wired SL.

Lanternrouge
04-16-2008, 09:59 AM
I've also had a really good experience dealing with customer service at Saris.

I have now used a Powertap for a while and find it useful for comparing performance over time. In fact, I think you need to use it for a while before you really have a better idea of what the numbers mean, especially when you ride the same routes a lot.