PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else owe Uncle Sam this year?

Volant
04-15-2008, 11:33 PM
I just love all the ads these days about how to spend your refund. Since I had a negative refund, does that mean these places will give me a discount?!
:rolleyes:
I guess it's better to owe than have Uncle Sam make money off of your money all year and then give you some back without interest.

Blue Jays
04-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Owed. Better than the government having had my money the whole year at no cost.

zmudshark
04-15-2008, 11:41 PM
I don't even work (retired) and I owed, in spite of paying estimated taxes all year.

At least it's going to a good cause. Oh wait...

DRZRM
04-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Though I had a refund coming when I came across a 10-99 for something I'd forgotten about. Cost me my refund refund, and my tax guy had to redo my forms (which I'm sure will cost me). I'm still going to use the "refund" to restart the country with a new set of wheels.

keno
04-16-2008, 06:06 AM
Never heard the term.

keno

csm
04-16-2008, 06:26 AM
wrote 2 checks... both federal and state.

justinf
04-16-2008, 06:29 AM
Been a long time since I've had a refund. No different this year: write the estimation check, file the extension.

93legendti
04-16-2008, 06:55 AM
Yup I wrote 2 checks, state and fed. My father used to say he didn't mind paying taxes, 'cuz it meant he made money- it made the checks easier to write. Actually, I am getting a refund from Canada and owed US and state taxes. It's almost a wash. Maybe that's why I didnt mind...

flux
04-16-2008, 07:00 AM
I paid the gov't and HR Block.

:crap:

paulh
04-16-2008, 07:04 AM
Refund???? Refund??????

Dave B
04-16-2008, 07:50 AM
As a mistake by our lawyer we have to pay the trustee half of our refund for the next 5 years. :crap:

BURCH
04-16-2008, 08:58 AM
AMT got us again, but like BlueJay said at least we held onto the money to make some interest off of it. Our acct is pushing for us to make payments every qtr in 08 to avoid the paying a big check in April or 09, but I keep saying that I would rather just hold onto the money until the last second. A dollar is always worth more today than tomorrow, right?

97CSI
04-16-2008, 09:04 AM
wrote 2 checks... both federal and state.Same here. While I believe we need to support our government, I do wish they won't give my tax dollars away to those who don't need it. Especially at the state level.

Dekonick
04-16-2008, 11:31 AM
I am going to buy some leather bar wrap with my FRN's... at least I hope I can....

:beer:

Tobias
04-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Actually, I am getting a refund from Canada and owed US and state taxes. It's almost a wash. Maybe that's why I didnt mind...That's one painless way to balance the trade deficit. ;)

Pete Serotta
04-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Yep, I pay every year. Also, I am many are not getting the "special" May payment. Yeah life could be worse.. ;) ;)

I just love all the ads these days about how to spend your refund. Since I had a negative refund, does that mean these places will give me a discount?!
:rolleyes:
I guess it's better to owe than have Uncle Sam make money off of your money all year and then give you some back without interest.

Waldo
04-16-2008, 12:48 PM
wrote 2 checks... both federal and state.

Me too.

barry1021
04-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Me too.

Me three, but I never want to loan the government money

b21

swoop
04-16-2008, 01:32 PM
i owe sam a meivici with lightweight wheels and campy. ugh. buhbye profit margin.

shinomaster
04-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Self employment taxes are MP.

93legendti
04-16-2008, 02:10 PM
That's one painless way to balance the trade deficit. ;)

It is painless when you hear about the refund FIRST and the tax payment SECOND. Trust me, that's the way it happened...elation, then resignation. It could have been deep depression, then relief.

Louis
04-16-2008, 02:15 PM
buhbye profit margin.

The satisfaction of a job well done, and the help you provide others should be compensation enough.

Tom Kellogg
04-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Owe the State 18 buckks more than the Fed refund will be, not bad. In fact, for the benefits that I get living in this country, my taxes are a HUGE good deal. Cheap at twice the price. I have no intention of moving.

Driving home from visiting our second daughter and grandson in Louisville, we saw a LOT of bridge and road rebuilding in western and central Pennsylvania. Folks grumbled when the state legislature raised the toll rates, but they are acutally doing good and important stuff with the money. I don't want to have a bridge fall on (or under) me.

maunahaole
04-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Owed the state a little money and getting much more back from the feds.

swoop
04-16-2008, 02:22 PM
The satisfaction of a job well done, and the help you provide others should be compensation enough.

i'd work my gig for free if i could! i really would. its is true.. you give a little and you get tenfold back.

J.Greene
04-16-2008, 02:36 PM
First time in my life I owe. It's about what my rebate will be.

JG

znfdl
04-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Does a beat sh_t in the woods?

Hell yes, Fed and State for too many years in a row.

sg8357
04-16-2008, 02:49 PM
i owe sam a meivici with lightweight wheels and campy. ugh. buhbye profit margin.

There would be children going shoeless at Lockheed Martin if not for
your support.

There was a fun SF story years ago about how the tax system was
replaced by one where you had to pay the same amount of tax,
but you decided how much money each agency received.

Scott G.
Where is Ross Perot anyway ?, he always had a plan.

KeithS
04-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Tom Kellogg wrote in part...

.....Folks grumbled when the state legislature raised the toll rates, but they are acutally doing good and important stuff with the money. I don't want to have a bridge fall on (or under) me.

I live where a bridge fell down and did kill folks, one person I knew. On a normal day I would have been on or near when it fell, I chose a different route that day because there was a Twins game that evening.

I got to pay again this year. Not enough to pay for a new bridge, just some parts of it. Gotta love the AMT. Doesn't it make you comfortable to use an infrastructure built by the lowest bidder?

I am getting cynical about our government's ability to do good and important stuff. Too many special interests. Like oil companies and trial lawyers and insurance companies....

I coulda had a Meivici...

steelrider
04-17-2008, 05:24 PM
I ended up having to pay the state. I would have had to pay the feds were it not for a hard-working tax preparer. If you are single, no kids, and no property and like to work overtime, you get screwed. Glad to know that my dough is going to support a worthwhile adventure abroad.

stevep
04-17-2008, 06:04 PM
always owe, always pay.
never bitch about it.

go read tom kelloggs post. thats me too.

rwsaunders
04-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Owe the State 18 buckks more than the Fed refund will be, not bad. In fact, for the benefits that I get living in this country, my taxes are a HUGE good deal. Cheap at twice the price. I have no intention of moving.

Driving home from visiting our second daughter and grandson in Louisville, we saw a LOT of bridge and road rebuilding in western and central Pennsylvania. Folks grumbled when the state legislature raised the toll rates, but they are acutally doing good and important stuff with the money. I don't want to have a bridge fall on (or under) me.

You can tell when it's Spring in western PA....that's when the traffic cones and barrels come out.