PDA

View Full Version : ? installing campt bb

shoe
04-15-2008, 10:32 PM
so i have only installed phil bb's and i know their deal...campy..no idea...do you grease the threads...seems there is some lock tight tape on part of the threads so it makes me think no grease....but the greasy side of me thinks to grease all threads...thanks...dave

shoe
04-15-2008, 10:33 PM
record sqr taper bb by the way..

bronk
04-16-2008, 06:03 AM
I've always put anti-seize on the threads, torque both sides correctly, and have never had one loosen on me. Do a search, this has been discussed.

justinf
04-16-2008, 06:44 AM
A little grease and crank it down 'till it's tight has always done it for me.

Too Tall
04-16-2008, 07:13 AM
This going into your steel bike? The "tight tape" you see is actually a thread locking compound. I'd use a very heavy assembly grease smeared onto the BB threads, torque it and call that a good job.

shoe
04-16-2008, 05:40 PM
hey guys...thanks for the info.. actually going into an aluminum frame.. i have a feeling it will become the next steel...i guess it would help if i had a camppy bb tool...amazing what you think you have...but don't really...swinging by the shop in a few anyway....cheers...dave

R2D2
04-16-2008, 05:43 PM
If going into aluminum make sure you use a little anti sieze .

jhcakilmer
04-16-2008, 06:44 PM
I've always used the grey loctite in the past with the square taper campy BBs.

Just last year, I install the new Campy external BB cups, and after a year of riding was going to take them off and re-grease them. One side came out nice, but other side is not going anywhere. I kept trying, and now the ridges on the cup are gone. I guess my last option is to clamp the cup in a vice and rotate the whole frame.

any other suggestions???

shoe
04-16-2008, 10:01 PM
yes- i would stick with the campy bb with that bike- you won't have to worry about it coming loose

Too Tall
04-17-2008, 08:05 AM
I've always used the grey loctite in the past with the square taper campy BBs.

Just last year, I install the new Campy external BB cups, and after a year of riding was going to take them off and re-grease them. One side came out nice, but other side is not going anywhere. I kept trying, and now the ridges on the cup are gone. I guess my last option is to clamp the cup in a vice and rotate the whole frame.

any other suggestions???
Jayzus don't do the clamp/rotate frame thaing :( you were kidding right? Use a dremel and a carbide wheel...it will be out in 5 mins.