PDA

View Full Version : Happy Rosh Hashanah

Sandy
09-15-2004, 09:32 AM
Happy Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year) to those who celebrate the holiday.

A Sandy wish to ALL- May your year, no matter when it starts, be filled with many miles of safe and enjoyable cycling. Sincere hopes for a healthy, productive, and satisfying year to you, your family, and friends, with a particular wish for a much needed increase in tolerance, sensitivity, understanding, and acceptance of the differences and needs of people worldwide, so that hopefully acts of kindness and peace will increase, and the horror of hatred that abounds will start to disappear.

Sandy

bags27
09-15-2004, 10:58 AM
A beautiful prayer, Sandy. I'm sure everyone here wishes the same to you and yours. It's kinda too bad that you don't get to call the shots in this world. I'd sure vote for you to lead my paceline!
L'shana tova

Bruce K
09-15-2004, 11:36 AM
Sandy;

I think I'll borrow that one for synogogue tonight when I'm thinking of all my freinds, Serottans and otherwise if you don't mind.

Wishing all of you a happy, healthy, prosperous New Year.

BK

Well, I tried to insert 13 smilies/bananas/etc. to get a minyan but I guess there are limits.

davids
09-15-2004, 11:40 AM
...that's Happy New Year, for the rest of you.

Thanks for the wishes and they prayer, Sandy.

Let's try the minyan again:
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Serotta PETE
09-15-2004, 11:45 AM
Wishing everyone a happy holiday and hope that all of us can follow Sandy's wishes......PETE

Andreu
09-15-2004, 11:48 AM
Happy Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year) to those who celebrate the holiday.

A Sandy wish to ALL- May your year, no matter when it starts, be filled with many miles of safe and enjoyable cycling. Sincere hopes for a healthy, productive, and satisfying year to you, your family, and friends, with a particular wish for a much needed increase in tolerance, sensitivity, understanding, and acceptance of the differences and needs of people worldwide, so that hopefully acts of kindness and peace will increase, and the horror of hatred that abounds will start to disappear.

Sandy
So well put Sandy!
Happy New year.
A
:banana:

bulliedawg
09-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Sandy:

You da man!

rnhood
09-15-2004, 01:12 PM
LeShanah Tovah Tikatevu!

Nicely stated and add my wish to yours.

MallyG
09-15-2004, 04:06 PM
Wishing you all (of every persuasion) a Happy and Healthy 5765.

By the way, we regularly have a Sunday morning Riding Minyan here in London!

Needs Help
09-15-2004, 05:47 PM
Politics is off limits, but religion is ok? How is Osama Bin Laden's politics separated from his religion? The Osama thread seemed to be as much about religion as politics, and was quite a bit more interesting.

PBWrench
09-15-2004, 05:52 PM
May we all be inscribed in the book of Life and forgiven for the sin of wanton lust over custom fits and carbon bits.

Dekonick
09-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Sandy - Ditto! :D

spiderman
09-15-2004, 06:07 PM
is that God pursues us as the treasure of His kingdom...
...regardless of your religious or political preference
yet hate seeks to steal, kill and destroy.
Choose life and ride forever...!

Sandy
09-15-2004, 07:21 PM
I believe you may have missed my intention. My post was a simple communication given sincerely to all, no matter their individual religious perspective. In essence, it wasn't really a religious statement at all, nor was it really given to any particular faith of people. It was spontaneous, as is most of what I post on the forum.

Granted, the post was not directly related to cycling, other than I do want cyclists to always enjoy safe cycling.

Hopefully, my message will not lead to a thread which deteriorates to some religious debate.

Sandy

Kevin
09-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Sandy,

Enjoy your holiday and ignore the troll.

Kevin

BumbleBeeDave
09-15-2004, 08:45 PM
. . . get some.

To everyone a happy holiday--and I ain’t even Jewish! ;)

BBDave

gasman
09-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Way to go Sandy !! Well said.

As a Christian I took what was said as having no religious overtones. Happy New Year may we all have great year riding!!

93legendti
09-15-2004, 11:34 PM
I believe you may have missed my intention. My post was a simple communication given sincerely to all, no matter their individual religious perspective. In essence, it wasn't really a religious statement at all, nor was it really given to any particular faith of people. It was spontaneous, as is most of what I post on the forum.

Granted, the post was not directly related to cycling, other than I do want cyclists to always enjoy safe cycling.

Hopefully, my message will not lead to a thread which deteriorates to some religious debate.

Sandy

Thank you and Shana Tovah to everyone else!

Tom Byrnes
09-16-2004, 12:38 AM
Sandy - Thank you for starting this thread with your kind wishes and wise words.

To Everyone - I wish all of you the very best for the coming twelve months.
:) :) :)

RABikes2
09-16-2004, 09:42 AM
Way to go Sandy !! Well said.

As a Christian I took what was said as having no religious overtones. Happy New Year may we all have great year riding!!

You are such a nice person Sandy... :)

Happy New Year to my Serottan buddies from your rain, wind, and hurricane soaked Serottan friend in Tallahassee (Ivan's been visiting us since late yesterday).
RA
Looking forward to THIS year's open house! :banana: :banana:

shinomaster
09-16-2004, 12:30 PM
thanks Sandy!! YOu are the best! :banana: :banana:

Tom
09-16-2004, 12:39 PM
Peace be with you, man. You're all right in my book.

va rider
09-16-2004, 07:14 PM
As another member of the tribe, let me say thanks, Sandy. That was very nice of you.

Elefantino
09-16-2004, 10:55 PM
I'd like everyone to wish me a Happy Arbor Day. :eek:

Elefantino
09-16-2004, 11:18 PM
After that dorky post, I think it's time Alyson closed this thread, too.

shinomaster
09-17-2004, 02:37 AM
edited for your pleasure mr. Legend... :banana: :banana:

Kevin
09-17-2004, 04:31 AM
Elf,

Happy Arbor Day. Is all about diversity and acceptance. Of course if you don't ride a bike this group may stone you to death.

Kevin

Smiley
09-17-2004, 07:04 AM
Peace be on all of us . Thanks SandyMan , just back from Tulsa and wanted to thank you for your words of wisdom to all of us.

Bruce K
09-17-2004, 07:06 AM
Elf;

Yom Kippur, the holiest of Jewish Holidays is right around the corner. On that day we ask forgiveness from those we have trespassed (sinned) against and we forgive those who have trespassed against us.

As far as trespasses go, your post didn't even get over the fence and into the yard!

As far as diversity goes, I once considered becoming a frisbeetarian but I couldn't get past their belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof of the house and never comes back down.

Again, a peaceful and prosperous new year to all.

BK

Roy E. Munson
09-17-2004, 07:13 AM
Religion is the root of all evil.

Andreu
09-17-2004, 07:15 AM
Que la pau sigui amb tu

Peace be with you
:beer:
A

93legendti
09-17-2004, 08:55 AM
Sometimes I wish I were Jewish....so I could explain my nose..

Can someone delete this stupid post, (not the thread) please?

mikew
09-17-2004, 11:11 AM
May Bumblebee Dave could suggest some diversity training to Shino. He must be an expert since he knows needshelp could be helped by outside counseling. He starts "why do they hate us" but then is cheesed at other people for talking religion/politics.

Sometimes I wish I were Black.... so I could explain my lips.

Sandy
09-17-2004, 12:18 PM
Perhaps we should close this thread. Unfortunately, 2 have already been closed in a few days, and that is significant since Alyson has been extremely tolerant and Ben Serotta allows us remarkable freedom within the forum.

Sandy

shinomaster
09-17-2004, 12:23 PM
All I was saying was that I people often think I'l Jewish because of my nose! Nothing is wrong with Jewish noses either. I have a Turkish Nose. It is less famous in America than other ethnic noses, so people assume I'm Jewish. It was not in ayway a slam on Jewish People or myself, or my Nose..

so, so sorry if I offended anyone!! Honest! Especially you Sandy.

This post has nothing to do with religion either. Ethnic groups are often distinguished by unique facial features like noses cheek bones, lips, eyes, etc... Now that the US has become such a melting pot it is hard to tell people apart simply by looking at them.

shinomaster
09-17-2004, 12:27 PM
May Bumblebee Dave could suggest some diversity training to Shino. He must be an expert since he knows needshelp could be helped by outside counseling. He starts "why do they hate us" but then is cheesed at other people for talking religion/politics.

Sometimes I wish I were Black.... so I could explain my lips.

How is it that I know needs help need counseling?? What are you talking about?? Mike I also have full lips. Glad to hear you do too...

what other posts have been closed?
:crap: :crap:

MallyG
09-17-2004, 12:31 PM
So, is a 'Well over the Fast' post out of the question...???

BumbleBeeDave
09-17-2004, 12:45 PM
. . . I think he was talking about ME. I guess I should be offended, but at least SOMEBODY is talking about me! ;)

Bumble Bee "Any publicity is good publicity" Dave

shinomaster
09-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Everyone is always talking about you.........behind your back that is!!

I think he was talking about me too. My humor (or lack there of) is often misunderstood.

va rider
09-17-2004, 02:18 PM
Man, and I always thought that judiasm or being jewish was a religion! Now it is also an ethnicity!

Climb01742
09-17-2004, 02:34 PM
hey roy--actually, i always thought that polyester was the root of all evil.

Ozz
09-17-2004, 03:02 PM
. . . I think he was talking about ME. I guess I should be offended, but at least SOMEBODY is talking about me! ;)

Bumble Bee "Any publicity is good publicity" Dave

As Oscar Wilde would say: "The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about."

Peace and love.. :)

Litespeeder
09-17-2004, 05:15 PM
:banana:

BumbleBeeDave
09-17-2004, 06:41 PM
. . . any of this whining when people were wishing “Merry Christmas” . . .

Happy New Year to you Sandy. And happy every other holiday to anyone on the forum who is celebrating ANY holiday that has personal or religious significance to them, whether it be Jewish, Christian, Hindu, Islamic, Buddhist, or any OTHER religion. We need more people expressing good wishes everywhere, not just on this paltry little forum.

This is so sad . . . :( :( :(

BBDave

Kevan
09-17-2004, 06:57 PM
and this coming from a Calfee-ite. We've allowed people the distraction to post non-cycling topics (umm...like the VERY popular music thread), why suggest otherwise? Let's take the risk...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=2017&highlight=happy+easter

gasman
09-17-2004, 06:59 PM
Gee,Lighten up. Sandy meant no ill will, just good thoughts and hopes. I am a Christian and took it in the positive spirit it was given.
You're right it is a cycling forum but it strays to other subjects at times, look at the music thread, one of the most read and informative around.
The moderator already knows, I don't think you don't have to worry.

dirtdigger88
09-17-2004, 07:06 PM
For someone with only 15 post you have quite the opinion don't you. You could just go else where if you don't like what you read. just my .02 Now Alyson, PLEASE- lock this one up too.

jason

93legendti
09-17-2004, 07:08 PM
Nice. I think Jewish holiday is the proper term. And since you capitalized "Roman Catholic" and 3 times wrote "jew" without capitalizing the word, I will assume your feelings about Jews is driving your post. A reference to a particluar religion is capitalized. To capitalize one and not another is highly disrespectful. (maybe :butt: :butt: :butt: means you are kidding, but i am not sure what
:butt: :butt: :butt: means...)

Kevin
09-17-2004, 07:29 PM
I think Needs Help and Litespeeder should be silenced.

I am an Aethist. However, what other people believe in does not bother me. We are all members of the human race and I wish everyone a Merry Christmas, a Happy Rosh Hashanah and a Happy Festivus. It is simply a way of telling fellow human beings that you wish them well. If someone can't see that, I feel sorry for them.

It is unfortunate that in every group there are a couple of bad apples that believe that they need to turn things into an "us" against "them" situation.

Kevin

va rider
09-17-2004, 07:55 PM
If you look, there are many posts that are not cycling related on this forum. Maybe you should be the moderator and then you can decide which posts are appropriate and which are not. Hey, I have a better idea, why don't you just run your own forum, post as many anti-semetic comments that you like and leave the rest of us alone.

Sandy
09-17-2004, 08:18 PM
".......the horror of hatred that abounds will start to disappear." You are unfortunately a small example of the horror of hatred. Your need to specify, as you did, "jew holiday", 4 times, clearly indicates your feelings about Jews.

The moderator already knows about the thread, as has been mentioned. I e-mailed her about it earlier, and suggested on the thread that it be closed so that posts made by individuals against individuals, devoid of respect, tolerance, and understanding, would not come to fruition. Unfortunately, you signifcantly crossed over the line of a reasonable response and entered the realm of hatred of one because of his or her religious preference.

I assume the thread will be closed by Alyson, but that is her call.

I sincerely hope that one day you will judge people by how they interact with and treat people, not because of a name that is assigned to them, such as Jew.

Sandy

admin
09-17-2004, 08:30 PM
Sandy - If you ever stick your so-called religion here again I will let the moderator know.

THE MODERATOR KNOWS ALL!

She can also edit posts from her apartment on a Friday night.

Happy Rosh Hashanah Sandy! Sorry I have to close your thread.
-Alyson :banana: