PDA

View Full Version : OT: Marine Corp workouts will put a hurtin on you

Acotts
04-15-2008, 09:49 AM
So on sunday I did a workout with an ex-Marine buddy of mine. It took less than an hour and I can barely move today. Its always the same thing when I workout with this kid...intense, brutal, and extremely simple.

10 minutes warm up jog to a park by my house. On the Jungle gym we did

10 minutes- Every minute 5 pull ups, 5 push ups, 5 body Squats
10 minutes- Every minute 3 pull ups, 5 push ups, 3 body squats
10 minutes- Every minute 2 pull ups, 3 push ups, 2 Body squats.

(my buddy did 5,5,5 the whole 30 minutes. But he is 5'10, 160 pounds and bult like a V. I am about 6'3 195. I just couldn't hang. The decrease in reps was becuase I was just not strong enough. Aparently my buddy does 3,3,3 for an hour. But he said that it gets pretty long and he didn't want to put me through it.)

Then we ran for 30 minutes picking points about 100 meters away and sprinting towards them. Left the house a 9am, and was home by 10:15.

I was fine yesterday. However, I fell asleep at 8:30 pm last night about 5 minutes after dinner. I could not wake up this morning (slept in till 8am, and got to work real late.) and was so sore that I could barely put my clothes on. I had to drive in and pay to park ($7!!) becuase I just couldn't ride my bike this morning. I have done countless Half-IronMan's, a couple 200 mile bike rides, marathons, and I am avid weightlifter.

I dont think I have ever been sore like this. I will not be able to ride hard till saturday at least. In fact, this whole week may just be a wash now.

A.L.Breguet
04-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Ah, but the pain is exquisite, no?

William
04-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks!

I can see incorporating something like this into my students work outs. They'll love/hate me for it! :D

William

fiamme red
04-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Sounds like Crossfit training. You may want to check that out.

Acotts
04-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Crossfit=Carbon 10 spd triple in hill country
Marine Workout= Track bike at 500 watts goin' round and round for 40 minutes

Fixed
04-15-2008, 10:18 AM
take your bud for a 100 mile ride
cheers imho

Mikej
04-15-2008, 10:21 AM
And it's good enough for me! Inside humor for us former Marines.

J.Greene
04-15-2008, 10:21 AM
take your bud for a 100 mile ride
cheers imho

He'd show up with a 50lb pack and be ok.

JG

dave thompson
04-15-2008, 10:28 AM
So on sunday I did a workout with an ex-Marine buddy of mine. It took less than an hour and I can barely move today. Its always the same thing when I workout with this kid...intense, brutal, and extremely simple.

10 minutes warm up jog to a park by my house. On the Jungle gym we did

(my buddy did 5,5,5 the whole 30 minutes. But he is 5'10, 160 pounds and bult like a V. I am about 6'3 195. I just couldn't hang. The decrease in reps was becuase I was just not strong enough. Aparently my buddy does 3,3,3 for an hour. But he said that it gets pretty long and he didn't want to put me through it.)

Then we ran for 30 minutes picking points about 100 meters away and sprinting towards them. Left the house a 9am, and was home by 10:15.

I was fine yesterday. However, I fell asleep at 8:30 pm last night about 5 minutes after dinner. I could not wake up this morning (slept in till 8am, and got to work real late.) and was so sore that I could barely put my clothes on. I had to drive in and pay to park ($7!!) becuase I just couldn't ride my bike this morning. I have done countless Half-IronMan's, a couple 200 mile bike rides, marathons, and I am avid weightlifter.

I dont think I have ever been sore like this. I will not be able to ride hard till saturday at least. In fact, this whole week may just be a wash now.
Do that for 13 weeks and this is what you will get:

William
04-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Thirteen weeks on the Serotta forum........Is more like this...

http://videodetective.com/photos/014/000588_9.jpg

William

dave thompson
04-15-2008, 10:47 AM
And it's good enough for me! Inside humor for us former Marines.

Mikej
04-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Do that for 13 weeks and this is what you will get:

Well, there are like 4 other things....maybe 5 tops! I remember .....one time...

Acotts
04-15-2008, 11:10 AM
I am pretty sure that they run around carrying longs as well.

rwsaunders
04-15-2008, 11:19 AM
There are a great series of tapes out there on the web, if you like to run/pedal to cadence. Listen to the greatest Jody calls ever....

Gimme Some!, There's A U.S. Marine, Mile Ten Let's Do It Again, Mama Mama Can't You See, Baby Marine, If I Die, Run Me Run Me Run Me, Oh Yeah! Feelin Good!, Chesty Puller Said Before He Died, Mama And Papa Were Layin In Bed, Don't Fall Out, Hey! We Want Some PT!, Up In The Morning, Drip Drop Dripity Drop, Delayed Recon Cadence Count, Hey Hey Whiskey Jack, I Wanna Be A Drill Instructor, Nightmares, I Used To Sit At Home All Day, I Can Run To Haiti Just Like This, Sound Off, Don't Let The Green Grass Fool You

Remember..."Pain is weakness leaving the body."

jimcav
04-15-2008, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=Acotts]

(QUOTE]

body builders

incorporate them, and you'll cruise through dive school.
I used to work out with a seal who could do 200 8-count body builders, then jump rope with a length of garden hose with a few pounds of BBs inside, then hit the beach for a 5 mile sand run.

nothing is better than getting paid to work out, although the downside of putting your conditioning to use in harms way is sobering.

jim

majorpat
04-15-2008, 12:24 PM
nothing is better than getting paid to work out, although the downside of putting your conditioning to use in harms way is sobering.

jim[/QUOTE]

Yep, the PT pays off when you wind up in this dump...

William
04-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Decided to stop off at the gym on my way home and slam out your workout (555). Nice burn in minimal time. :cool:

William

MIN
04-15-2008, 03:17 PM
I went through Officer Candidate School in Va in summer of 2000. I ultimately decided that the Marines (and the Armed Forces in general) is not for me however I have a profound respect for Marines and the training they go through.

When I am struggling up a hill or bridging a gap in a ride, I always think back to my training.

jimcav
04-15-2008, 04:10 PM

jim

Yep, the PT pays off when you wind up in this dump...[/QUOTE]

i'll continue to hope for getting no closer than an SSGN SDV.

Jim

majorpat
04-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Not only did I sleep on DU, but shot it out the cannon as well. Oh, and that's in addition to injections of anthrax, plague, smallpox, daily malaria pills.

But, I think it was the burning garbage fumes that will probably shorten my life.

But, 2 kids since I got back and no extra appendages, so far-so good!

Pat

jimp1234
04-15-2008, 04:24 PM
At the risk of sounding dumb, what's a "body squat"? "body builder'?

thanx

-Jim

beungood
04-16-2008, 04:24 PM
SEMPER FI! I got so motivated looking at those pictures and reminiscing I had to I drop to the front leaning rest and start kockin em out, finished by guzzling 5lbs of roofing nails. :p

jimcav
04-16-2008, 04:44 PM
At the risk of sounding dumb, what's a "body squat"? "body builder'?
thanx
-Jim
start from standing
1 squat down
2 put hands down in front of you
3 and kick feet straight out behind you (you are now in a push up position)
4 lower down to the "down" push up postion (until chest near ground)
5 push up to the starting push up position
6 spring/pull feet back up under you to the squat position
7 stand
8 and finish it off with a vertical jump as you stand

typically you call out the numbers as you do it--loud and strong. or one guy calls it out, and everyone else counts the total (each time 8 comes around, it is 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1; 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,2 etc)
the count is not slow
do 30 just for fun.
jim

Louis
04-16-2008, 04:56 PM
In school we used to call them "burpees."

jimcav
04-16-2008, 04:59 PM
In school we used to call them "burpees."

but not many

M.Sommers
04-16-2008, 11:11 PM
US Marines = US Marines

:beer:

dave thompson
04-16-2008, 11:25 PM

soulspinner
04-17-2008, 06:27 AM
Yesterday my ex-Marine(I know-no such thing) 75 year old father out worked me demolishing my kitchen. He worked out most of his life and has a ti hip(dont know if its double butted). Hes taking one of my bikes to start riding cause doc told him not to run on the hip-he can still do more push ups than me. :p

William
04-17-2008, 06:32 AM
SEMPER FI! I got so motivated looking at those pictures and reminiscing I had to I drop to the front leaning rest and start kockin em out, finished by guzzling 5lbs of roofing nails. :p

You need to come down here for some PT.....GOOD FOR YOU...GOOD FOR ME!!! :D

William