PDA

View Full Version : shimano drlr q

chrisroph
04-14-2008, 09:13 PM
can you use an old 7401 DA rr drlr with new 9 or 10 speed shifters?

i'm trying to help a new racer/friend set up a racin' bike and i'm svrounging through my parts boxes and came upon a 7401.

dirtdigger88
04-14-2008, 09:14 PM
I have - it worked for me

Jason

dwightskin
04-15-2008, 07:16 AM
This Cat knew something about compatibility:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

I seems that 7401 (pre-1997) is not directly compatible with 9 speed or 10 speed.

dirtdigger88
04-15-2008, 07:31 AM
This Cat knew something about compatibility:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

I seems that 7401 (pre-1997) is not directly compatible with 9 speed or 10 speed.

you are correct- I did use the "alt. cable routing"

but again- it did work

Jason

chrisroph
04-15-2008, 09:54 AM
you are correct- I did use the "alt. cable routing"

but again- it did work

Jason

Jason:

Just checkin--SB's alt routing B worked with old drlr and new shifters even though he says use with older shifters and new drlrs? seems bassackwrds. TIA.

Vancouverdave
04-15-2008, 09:56 AM
It might run more quietly with skinnier pulleys, also. Check clearance between the back side of the derailleur cage and the right hand rear spokes, too.

chrisroph
04-15-2008, 09:59 AM
It might run more quietly with skinnier pulleys, also. Check clearance between the back side of the derailleur cage and the right hand rear spokes, too.

Thanks Dave. BTW, loving the FSA.

Vancouverdave
04-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Chris, you're welcome, and enjoy your wheelbuilding!

CaptStash
04-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Since you're not clear on whether your friend would be running a nine or ten speed cassette I was unsire about posting. But here is my comment fwiw.

Take a look at Jtek engineering's Shiftmate #2 which will convert the input from a nine speed Shimano shifter to the correct spacing for an eight speed cassette.

Jtek's Website (http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm)

I just ordered a #1 to convert a Campy drivetrain to runb on an Ultegra cassette. I will report back with how it works.

CaptStash....

chrisroph
04-16-2008, 01:42 PM
not sure if he runs 9 or 10. this is for a new member of our team, solid great guy, very strong who has a lemond with a triple. i'm loaning him my eddy aluminum, recently returned from the last guy i loaned it to, and we're cobbling together a racing bike for him. i have an older record crank and bb, terry is donating a left side shimano shifter, and i have some older DA drlrs that i'm going to try to make work.

konstantkarma
04-16-2008, 02:24 PM
What are the symptoms of improper matching of shifters and cassettes?

For example, I am mating new Dura Ace 7800 shifters with a 9 speed Shimano cassette and 9 speed rear dérailleur.

Brian Smith
04-16-2008, 06:46 PM
If a 105 derailer is just an insurmountable investment compared to an entry fee, a drive to the race, and on and on, then it ain't worth racing.
Why suffer mechanically when the race will put enough hurt on 'em?
It'll pull the chain around and change gears, yeah, but if it were me...

One thing that you want to teach a new racer is that their equipment matters. If they won't spend the bucks, let 'em ride with whatever the heck they've got. After a let down, a mechanical, or a ride on something that works, perhaps they'll become convinced on their own. Enabling someone to get by in a half-stepping manner in an effort to convince them to race might just convince them that racing isn't fun when the bike fails. They can probably look to your example as an experienced racer that it takes money to participate.

I'm sure some folks around would buy the 7401 use for a portion of the cost.
Heck, I'll swap you.

chrisroph
04-17-2008, 12:18 PM
We started the build last night. I installed an old record crank I had in a box with cassette bb and that thing spins like an old campy cup and cone bb, free and easy, much nicer that the newer campy bb's. We put in a 31.6 carbon syncros seatpost I had lying around and got his saddle in the right place. We put on his ultegra brakes, ritchie stem, ttt bars and 9 speed ultegra levers from his lemond. I put on an old da front drlr i had in my parts bin. We put on a new set of beaters i have ready for the zank cross when it arrives in a few months. I couldn't get one of the beaters off his old crank!

I told him to pick up a cable set, hb tape and a new 9spd chain. I also told him to pick up a 105 or ultegra rear drlr as it would guarantee that we could finish the build and have the bike run right. I'm hoping to finish the build tonight. I'm really looking forward to getting a lovely high performance racing bike built mostly out of my spare parts under a guy who is really going to appreciate and use it to its potential.

:)

chrisroph
04-17-2008, 12:20 PM
If a 105 derailer is just an insurmountable investment compared to an entry fee, a drive to the race, and on and on, then it ain't worth racing.
Why suffer mechanically when the race will put enough hurt on 'em?
It'll pull the chain around and change gears, yeah, but if it were me...

One thing that you want to teach a new racer is that their equipment matters. If they won't spend the bucks, let 'em ride with whatever the heck they've got. After a let down, a mechanical, or a ride on something that works, perhaps they'll become convinced on their own. Enabling someone to get by in a half-stepping manner in an effort to convince them to race might just convince them that racing isn't fun when the bike fails. They can probably look to your example as an experienced racer that it takes money to participate.

I'm sure some folks around would buy the 7401 use for a portion of the cost.
Heck, I'll swap you.

Agree B, see above post.

Thanks for the offer. We may just take you up on it but Jason is committed to doing this right and I am certain he will show up tonight with a new rear drlr.