PDA

View Full Version : Chorus upshift when I'm climbing standing caused by grip??

Tom
04-14-2008, 07:31 AM
It seems I make my bike upshift when I'm riding up a hill standing, hanging on to the hoods and pulling on the bars significantly. I can recreate the phenomenon JRA when I grab the right shifter by the throat, squeeze and rotate.

These shifters have significant miles on them, the last rebuild wasn't more than a thousand or two miles ago.

Is it an adjustment problem (I'm too close to dropping into the next gear), a technique problem (I should be in the hooks when I'm standing and pulling that much), a bar wrap problem (not enough junk under there to keep my hand out of the works) or you think I gotta drop gigantic amounts of money to replace the damn thing?

I'd really prefer it was not the latter.

Is it possible my Campy has gone and started cross-dressing like an SRAM?

Dave
04-14-2008, 07:48 AM
There are lots of possibilities, but unless you cut the cable housing real short or didn't seat the end of the cable housing properly into the ergo lever body, it shouldn't be shifting on it's own.

A "rebuild" is often just the replacement of the g-springs, that can be had for as little as $3 each. If only the G-springs were replaced and not the index gear, then the index gear might be shot. It's one of the more expensive parts, but not too bad. The g-springs should also be replaced if you have the levers apart.

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=LD9742

In the worst case, Campy Chorus shifters are a lot cheaper than Shimano or SRAM, so it could be worse.

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=LD9742

DfCas
04-14-2008, 07:52 AM
tired g springs are a common cause of this.

dan

M.Sommers
04-14-2008, 08:10 AM
Speak with Handsomerob, he'll replace your g-springs atmo. Also, in the meantime, place a layer of tinfoil under your helmet, could be alien-shifting-induced-control aka ASIC. Remember back in the day when we couldn't shift uphill? I had shifting on my stem of my old Schwinn...changing a gear while climbing was like trying to win American Idol.

Tom
04-14-2008, 09:31 AM
It pops nicely when it shifts so I believe the spring is fine, but I think the index gear theory is interesting.

It does not shift on its own. It upshifts under two situations: I use the mouse ear or I grip the hell out of the shifter down where the index gear is more exposed. I shouldn't be able to pull it over the index gear, I'm guessing that what is going on.