PDA

View Full Version : tubulars and grilling with charcoal or wood

dave1215
04-14-2008, 06:13 AM
grilling with charcoal or wood tends to (i) require a learned technique that can vary by user, (ii) take a bit more set up and clean up, and (iii) provide a real fire flavor that results in a richer culinary product than grilling with gas.

grilling with gas tends to be (i) easy, (ii) quick, and (iii) utilitarian.

hypothesis: bicyclists who prefer using tubulars are those who prefer grilling with charcoal or wood while bicyclists who prefer using clinchers are those who prefer grilling with gas.

does your behavior support or refute this hypothesis?

spring is here :beer:

William
04-14-2008, 06:27 AM
Half my grill is set up for gas, the other half for charcol. Can you tell which side is "cooking" better?

William ;)

J.Greene
04-14-2008, 06:31 AM
I understand your analogy.

A really good steak or piece of salmon should not be done over a gas flame atmo, but gas get's it done too.

JG

flydhest
04-14-2008, 07:08 AM
Interesting analogy.

I am a tubular rider and I only grill with charcoal, especially with the increasing availability of hardwood lump charcoal instead of briquettes. With a little chimney fire starter, I assert that it is actually as easy as a gas grill. Clean up after a few fires may be more, though, you're right. Have had a squirrel chew through the hose on the gas grill my father gave me, so I never did get to use it, but it completes the tubular/clincher analogy. I've been on rides (yes, more than one) where the sidewall of a clincher split more than could be booted. With a tubular, you just replace it with the spare. With the clincher, you get out the cell phone.

false_Aest
04-14-2008, 07:40 AM
grilling: hardwood charcoal in a halved 55 gallon drum

riding: clinchers.

Why? Clinchers taste better.

Too Tall
04-14-2008, 07:44 AM
Charcoal. End of story. Clever comparison. I suppose "we" rake rather than leaf blow too?

flydhest
04-14-2008, 08:44 AM
grilling: hardwood charcoal in a halved 55 gallon drum

riding: clinchers.

Why? Clinchers taste better.

errr, even when you're cooking for 2 - 4 people?

TT, yes.

Of course, I also make my own stock for cooking, including demi-glace, so I'm a freak.

bostondrunk
04-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Gas grill.
Strictly tubulars.

I -would- grill using charcoal, but it just offers no advantages, and then I get glue all over the place, and the cost...blah blah blah...
;)

sspielman
04-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Is it true that Jack Brunk grills with Veloflex carbons?

Chad Engle
04-14-2008, 09:42 AM
Charcoal and clinchers.

I trust my abilities to grill. I don't trust my ability to glue a tire on a rim. If I dork up the food, I can still eat it, normally. If I dork up a tubular, I'm in a world of *****.

Good analogy though.

Too Tall
04-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Apparently the demographic is a bust :rolleyes:

Try again...Good Food + Love to ride bikes.

rphetteplace
04-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Charcoal grill......used it all winter long

Tubular tires.....use all winter long

J.Greene
04-14-2008, 10:30 AM
I don't trust my ability to glue a tire on a rim.

I can understand not wanting to glue tires, but the practice is basic and nothing to fear. If you follow a decent procedure there are no worries.

I have never rolled a road tub, but have blown the bead off several clinchers. One front tire on a mountain decent. Luckily the tube did not blow before I got stopped.

JG

amg
04-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Here's another and different way to look at the comparison:

Tubular users change the oil in their cars themselves.

Clincher users go to Jiffy Lube.

dave1215
04-14-2008, 11:30 AM
...Of course, I also make my own stock for cooking, including demi-glace...

tubulars and making your own sauces

oh, yea, that's what i'm talkin' 'bout!!!

:banana:

Ozz
04-14-2008, 11:44 AM
I have both.....gas and charcoal.....tubulars and clinchers.

I prefer charcoal (lump, not bricks)....but it depends on what I am cooking and how much time I have.

I do not have enough experience with tubulars to prefer over clinchers. They ride nice, but I have not had to change a flat yet.

catulle
04-14-2008, 12:37 PM
A good rib-eye on anything but charcoal is murder. I mean, it is to kill the cow all over again. In other words... Er, charcoal, only charcoal...

Regarding clinchers, I like my Michelin Pro 2 LE very much. Veloflex Corsa tubulars are wonderful.

maunahaole
04-14-2008, 12:43 PM
charcoal, in a Weber, with a chimney starter. Grilling generally means an overall feast which includes beer drinking for us, so the time/convenience factor really doesnt matter. Also, we cant have a gas grill where we live.

clinchers.

if you want to sniff glue, just sniff glue.

mschol17
04-14-2008, 12:48 PM
How about this?

drip coffee = clinchers
manual espresso = tubulars

Ozz
04-14-2008, 01:33 PM
A good rib-eye on anything but charcoal is murder. I mean, it is to kill the cow all over again. In other words... Er, charcoal, only charcoal...

Regarding clinchers, I like my Michelin Pro 2 LE very much. Veloflex Corsa tubulars are wonderful.
+1...on grilling steaks and the Pro2 LE's

....gas just doesn't get hot enough to properly sear the meat....imho.

...the LE's are really, really nice clinchers.

dookie
04-14-2008, 01:49 PM
gas grill
wood smoker
definitely a foodie
only clinchers to date (tubies coming on a resto)
self-changed oil (and lots more)
espresso from a semi-auto most days, rarely press pot, never drip

fwiw...

csm
04-15-2008, 07:35 PM
charcoal... campy
gas.... shimano
or something
charcoal at the beach house. more time, etc
gas at home. but I use wood chips and charcoal at times.

KeithS
04-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Clinchers
Shimano
Charcoal - in Weber with gas starter
Gas heats food, coal cooks it - as Ozz said - can't get a good sear with gas.
No to oil change
Cabernet not Chardonnay
Automatic transmission

false_Aest
04-15-2008, 08:57 PM
**** oops.

wrong area