PDA

View Full Version : Classical Frames

Reg Pither
04-13-2008, 08:11 PM
I was cruising the web for builders as I thought about my next bike. I came across this site (http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Baylis_main.htm). This is hosted by the Classics Rendezvous folks, a real class act, imho.

This guy's frames are amazing. They combine classical lugwork with the best paint I've had the pleasure of viewing. Amazing, innovative suspension built into one frame, sort of like the DKS or Kirk Terraplane.

Wow, this is what a steel bike frame is all about.

Does anyone have any more information about Bryan Bayless? Thanks!!!

flux
04-13-2008, 08:19 PM
I couldn't find his website... Maybe he has some nice merchandise products like t-shirts and whatnot. I'll keep looking.

stevep
04-13-2008, 08:19 PM
it should be illegal to post that photo.
that thing is heinous.

reg, where did that photo come from?
is that yr bike?

Alexi
04-13-2008, 08:23 PM
god no...

Reg Pither
04-13-2008, 08:28 PM
stevep,

No, it is not my bike. I copied the photo from the aforementioned website. Was that inappropriate?

I think my bicycle is a product of the Carlton company. I am attaching a photo. It is a fine machine, but clearly not comparable to the workmanship of Mr. Beylass.

I am surprised to hear that you don't like the Bayloss frame. I think it is well proportioned, and the color scheme is "jazzy" and exciting. The connecting sections (are they called terminals?) remind me of antique scrimshaw! I would be proud to own such a machine.

J.Greene
04-13-2008, 08:29 PM
colorful
it aint easy being green

flux
04-13-2008, 08:29 PM
stevep,

No, it is not my bike. I copied the photo from the aforementioned website. Was that inappropriate?

I think my bicycle is a product of the Carlton company. I am attaching a photo. It is a fine machine, but clearly not comparable to the workmanship of Mr. Beylass.

I am surprised to hear that you don't like the Bayloss frame. I think it is well proportioned, and the color scheme is "jazzy" and exciting. The connecting sections (are they called terminals?) remind me of antique scrimshaw! I would be proud to own such a machine.

Your bike deserves a Brooks saddle imho.

Christ
04-13-2008, 08:33 PM
god no...

You rang?

Sin comes in many flavors.

Reg Pither
04-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Flux,

I'd really like to cover the handlebar with some cloth wrapping.

Perhaps Mr. Byloss sells something of his own to compliment his colorful frames? His website also displays a purple bike. I think I might enjoy a purple wrap.

My current seat is very comfortable - it is well padded - but I do wish that I could somehow raise the handlebars. I have to crane my next while I ride, and that can be uncomfortable!

Alexi
04-13-2008, 08:41 PM
You rang?

Sin comes in many flavors.

and unfortunately jesus is not mine, nice try however

swoop
Flux,

I'd really like to cover the handlebar with some cloth wrapping.

Perhaps Mr. Byloss sells something of his own to compliment his colorful frames? His website also displays a purple bike. I think I might enjoy a purple wrap.

My current seat is very comfortable - it is well padded - but I do wish that I could somehow raise the handlebars. I have to crane my next while I ride, and that can be uncomfortable!

just because you can, doesn't mean you should. take that thing out back and shoot it before it fully transforms into the fly.

Alexi
oh and I like the carlton, man throw some honjos, green bar tape and a brooks on there

flux
04-13-2008, 08:45 PM
oh and I like the carlton, man throw some honjos, green bar tape and a brooks on there

and a mirror.

Louis
04-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Reg,

How about if we just say different strokes for different folks, and leave it at that.

JHC,

I grew up in a country that did not do a very good job of treating those who suffered from various delusions. Are you one of those people?

Louis

michael white
04-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Reg,

you hit the head on the nail with your discussion of jazz or pizzazz or whatever the hell it was you said about the wierd California bike. That is something that your own steed sorely lacks. Someone on these forums should be able to help you get a discount coupon to Nashbar, where you can fix your problems, and godspeed to you.

swoop
04-13-2008, 08:50 PM
this is like going to the office on monday dressed like prince from purple rain.

jerk
04-13-2008, 08:58 PM
somehow a frame that was lovingly handcrafted for 500 hours by a 5'2 naked californian virgin should suck alot less. then again, for a frame made by an angry dwarf colonel sanders look a like, its frucking perfect.

jerk

Fixed
04-13-2008, 08:58 PM
bro i'd be thinking i'd hit my thighs on that top tube seat stay thing.. if a cat sprinted on it
cheers :beer:

i have seen some of his track bikes i think.. and i liked them

J.Greene
04-13-2008, 09:08 PM
i have seen some of his track bikes i think.. and i liked them

me too

There are two i've seen in person that come to mind.

JG

Big Dan
04-13-2008, 09:21 PM
If it was my size and another color, I would put some carbon wheels on it and ride like the wind...

:cool:

swoop
04-13-2008, 09:24 PM
If it was my size and another color, I would put some carbon wheels on it and ride like the wind...

:cool:

in my pink chaps while singing.....

DarrenCT
04-13-2008, 09:40 PM
this is the fawking ugliest p.o.s we've all seen.

ps: time for a beer

habitué
04-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Delightful!

confente
04-14-2008, 02:09 AM
Tough crowd...

dannyg1
04-14-2008, 03:59 AM
Look! It's got brake nipples. What do you mount to that anyway?

Danny

14max
04-14-2008, 04:52 AM

Reg Pither
04-14-2008, 06:45 AM
Thank you for your comments, gentleman. Some of you are quite opinionated!

Flux,

Thank you for your suggestion of a mirror. It could add a certain bit of "flair" to the bike, and enhance my safety on the bike paths. I will seriously consider your suggestion!

Michael,

Nashbar is a bike seller, correct? Does Mr. Buyloss work for them?

jerk,

What an interesting name, and a fascinating post! Thank you for the information on Mr. Byless. I, too, am a vegan, although not a nudist. (But I do occassionally sneak a meal at KFC!) It's like Brain is a secret soulmate to me.

stevep
04-14-2008, 06:48 AM
i think i would like the bike a lot...

but its hard to get lsd around here these days.

News Man
04-14-2008, 06:54 AM
What I find interesting is that while that bike is objectively ugly and there is no disputing that, if it had Vanilla in raised letters on the down tube, you guys would be drooling.

Nevertheless, ugly is the right call on this.

flux
04-14-2008, 07:09 AM
What I find interesting is that while that bike is objectively ugly and there is no disputing that, if it had Vanilla in raised letters on the down tube, you guys would be drooling.

Or if it was made in Portland and had a shiny paint job.

michael white
04-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Well, to make it a Portland bike, I guess you could strip it, paint it some low-key tone on tone design like mocha with tapioca panels, and put a big badge on the front, then it would be the epitome of taste, and probably win some shows.

Dear OP,
Yes, I think Nashbar is a bike seller, and it would be a good source for add-on flair for your Carleton. I would suggest a rubber bulb-actuated horn, a gel saddle pad, and a pair of behind the saddle aero waterbottles . . . A bright safety-neon color or two would really set off the drabness of the bike, too.

sincerely,
Michael White

97CSI
04-14-2008, 07:28 AM

The connecting sections (are they called terminals?) remind me of antique scrimshaw! I would be proud to own such a machine.Fine machine is your Carlton. Especially like the unique kick-stand location.

Believe those are called "unions". They are screwed together. Very difficult to get the correct alignment when cutting the threads. Hence, the high cost of custom built steel bicycles.

catulle
04-14-2008, 07:45 AM
i think i would like the bike a lot...

but its hard to get lsd around here these days.

:D :D :D

LouDeeter
04-14-2008, 07:50 AM
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Baylis/Baylis_L-deeter.htm

It takes a real man to ride pink.

flux
04-14-2008, 07:51 AM
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Baylis/Baylis_L-deeter.htm

It takes a real man to ride pink.

And it takes an even realer man to laugh at that man.

J.Greene
04-14-2008, 08:14 AM
And it takes an even realer man to laugh at that man.

Lou is easy to laugh at, but even better to laugh with. That frame is only a few zip codes away from me. It has a certain class in person that does not translate across the internet, but I think the owner will be the first to say these paint jobs don't please everyone.

JG

flux
04-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Lou is easy to laugh at, but even better to laugh with. That frame is only a few zip codes away from me. It has a certain class in person that does not translate across the internet, but I think the owner will be the first to say these paint jobs don't please everyone.

JG

Hey I spent all last week riding around on kid's bike from 1989 with neon pink decals. No worries.

LouDeeter
04-14-2008, 08:29 AM
Brian Baylis is an artist and a darn good framebuilder. I'm sure that Van Gogh was criticized in his lifetime as well. When you put 200+ hours into a frame, doing all the work yourself, then also paint it yourself, you have my vote as an exceptional provider of artistic and nice riding frames. I've owned three Baylis frames (still own two), and a Wizard (from his early days with Mike Howard). All of the frames were exceptional in their workmanship. The comments on this forum that are denigrating toward Brian are uncalled for. I suspect it just makes the poster feel good, but it is a public forum. I don't know whether it is jealousy or just a "blood in the water" effect that causes people to say such things. I love this salmon and pearlized purple frame. I specified the paint scheme, but Brian chose the shades and details.

saab2000
04-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Count me as a fan.

Besides, the Giro has its leader wear pink, and those race leaders are no pansies.

handsomerob
04-14-2008, 08:33 AM

Nevertheless, ugly is the right call on this.

not so much... I think the majority of the posters here know what type of craftsman Brian is just as they know about Sacha. Sacha has never gone out on the same limb Brian did with this frame (thankfully) ATMO...

Sacha does the little touches extremely well and Brian does a fair amount of full on ornamental stuff... It is apparent both have enough enthusiasts to keep them busy.

flux
04-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Brian Baylis is an artist and a darn good framebuilder. I'm sure that Van Gogh was criticized in his lifetime as well. When you put 200+ hours into a frame, doing all the work yourself, then also paint it yourself, you have my vote as an exceptional provider of artistic and nice riding frames. I've owned three Baylis frames (still own two), and a Wizard (from his early days with Mike Howard). All of the frames were exceptional in their workmanship. The comments on this forum that are denigrating toward Brian are uncalled for. I suspect it just makes the poster feel good, but it is a public forum. I don't know whether it is jealousy or just a "blood in the water" effect that causes people to say such things. I love this salmon and pearlized purple frame. I specified the paint scheme, but Brian chose the shades and details.

But does he have T-Shirts?

paczki
04-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Brian Baylis is an artist and a darn good framebuilder. I'm sure that Van Gogh was criticized in his lifetime as well.

Are you intimating that Mr. Bayliss cut off his ear? Please, more details! :banana:

sg8357
04-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Are you intimating that Mr. Bayliss cut off his ear? Please, more details! :banana:

No, Brian carrys a concealed sawzall to removed extended headtubes,
which he finds to be an abomination.

davids
04-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Oy. Please tell me you're joking.

I think I've seen that frame posted here before. It's among the ugliest bikes I've ever seen, every bit as wrong as the half-melted carbon thing from DeRosa, or the Star-Wars-meets-Stealth-fighter monstrosity from Seven.

I don't know much about Baylis, except that he's a very low-volume builder, does a lot of restoration/"classic" replicas, and seems to want to create his own handmade bikeshow.

I don't really get that last thing (unless he's holding the show in Boston...) - It would be like me deciding to set up an Internet Forum for Serotta enthusiasts.

dbrk
04-14-2008, 09:10 AM
My vote for the newest ugliest thing comes from Carrera Podium. But they are also among the very very very few, along with Colnago and Derosa, who still build a perfectly wonderful, normal looking lugged steel bike (their Volans). This current thing wins my vote for Abominations: Recent Space Age Improvements Nonsense...Bikes like this claim to ride better than others. No such claims are made by any fancy luggers. Integrity is not the same as taste.

dbrk

14max
04-14-2008, 09:42 AM

fiamme red
04-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Baylis didn't invent this design; it was originated by Hetchins, and is called "Hellenic."

http://www.hetchins.org/403.htm

p.s. Reg Pither, or Sock Puppet, or _____ ____, nice troll. :bike:

davids
04-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Baylis didn't invent this design; it was originated by Hetchins, and is called "Hellenic."

http://www.hetchins.org/403.htm

p.s. Reg Pither, or Sock Puppet, or _____ ____, nice troll. :bike:Does it make it better or worse for Baylis that he's copying that farcical thing?

Seriously. This is a true philosophical dilemma.

michael white
04-14-2008, 10:02 AM
It's just an old-guard/new guard thing. I assume that most of you "get" this. Baylis is an acknowledged master, someone that many of your current fav hip and trendy builders most likely revere. If this conversation were taking place a decade ago, you might be arguing between Baylis, Columbine, Eisentraut, Richard Moon, etc. . . the aesthetic does change. There's a lot of trendiness to the "classic" style.

Similarly, the bikes y'all like might look pretty funny to a cyclist a few years from now, too, assuming there are bikes around then.

fiamme red
04-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Does it make it better or worse for Baylis that he's copying that farcical thing?Not everyone likes Dave Kirk's wavy "Terraplane," or the GT "triple-triangle," but these aren't unsound designs (i.e., the bikes won't fall apart, and they actually ride quite well).

On the other hand, some of Pegoretti's paint schemes that have been praised here to the skies are abominations IMHO.

Chacun à son goût.

News Man
04-14-2008, 10:36 AM
If it had "Vanilla" on the downtube it'd be an ugly Vanilla...

Not in the eyes of this forum. Sasha has been elevated to genius and in my opinion, he is not there. Think Sachs, Weigle, Goodrich, Kirk and several more, then you can insert Sasha.

People need their heroes, but to me Sasha is more like a marketing genius than a bike builder.

roman meal
04-14-2008, 10:47 AM
I don't think it comes down to marketing for this mint green frappe. Baylis's work is aesthetically repugnant. Master of curiosity at ye olde frame shoppe of San Diego county, sure, well, atmo. i'm sure some love it.

fiamme red
04-14-2008, 10:52 AM
I don't think it comes down to marketing for this mint green frappe. Baylis's work is aesthetically repugnant.I'm not sure why it offends you so much that you needed to start a thread about it. I'm sure you don't see lots of his bikes on your local club rides, do you? :confused:

roman meal
04-14-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm not sure why it offends you so much that you needed to start a thread about it. I'm sure you don't see lots of his bikes on your local club rides, do you? :confused:

I didn't start a thread about it. I responded to it. Why is visibility at club rides an indicator here? If i did, I'd still say that they are an affront to the eye. my big, cyclops eye.

fiamme red
04-14-2008, 11:07 AM
I didn't start a thread about it. I responded to it. Why is visibility at club rides an indicator here? If i did, I'd still say that they are an affront to the eye. my big, cyclops eye.I meant, that it's not as if you're forced to see aesthetically repugnant bikes on your daily rides. And from one Baylis that you've seen pictures of on the internet and consider ugly, you're condemning all his work.

I sense that some people here actually have a grudge against Brian Baylis for some reason -- if you don't like his frames, don't order one, it's pretty simple. I've spoken to him once and found him to be an affable and modest person, with a great sense of humor.

roman meal
04-14-2008, 11:21 AM
I meant, that it's not as if you're forced to see aestheticallly repugnant bikes on your daily rides. And from one Baylis that you've seen pictures of on the internet and consider ugly, you're condemning all his work.

I sense that some people here actually have a grudge against Brian Baylis for some reason -- if you don't like his frames, don't order one, it's pretty simple. I've spoken to him once and found him to be an affable and modest person, with a great sense of humor.

We've all seen plenty of bikes on rides with others we wouldn't go for, if given the chance. No personal grudge here, but just as I wouldn't judge a one-off frame as representative of the sum of his work, I wouldn't trust a sole interaction with him as an indicator of how he talks to and considers others he knows.

goonster
04-14-2008, 11:30 AM
they are an affront to the eye. my big, cyclops eye.

How many have you seen in person?

Or are we talking about your great big virtual cyclops eye?

For the record, I've never seen a Baylis frame in person that didn't impress me. Favorably, that is.

swoop
04-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Not in the eyes of this forum. Sasha has been elevated to genius and in my opinion, he is not there. Think Sachs, Weigle, Goodrich, Kirk and several more, then you can insert Sasha.

People need their heroes, but to me Sasha is more like a marketing genius than a bike builder.

he's just a guy that resonates with what he's doing and loves it. i don't see any claim to anything on his part except for a passion to make things and engage the details with a desire that they get used. from what i've seen the way he's given his life over to making bikes that people want to ride.. it is all about bike building for him.

i didn't see any bottles of vanilla branded water when i was there, nor did i hear him claim to have the decades of experience of sachs. i did see him building one bike at a time with a clear understanding and curiosity about who'd be riding them. and i saw an honest love of craft and exploration of a personal journey in the way he works.

none of that has much to do with marketing genius.

goonster
04-14-2008, 11:55 AM
i did see him building one bike at a time with a clear understanding and curiosity about who'd be riding them. and i saw an honest love of craft and exploration of a personal journey in the way he works.

none of that has much to do with marketing genius.

No, but in addition to his mastery of the craft, he's a marketing genius.

Website, posters, Speedvagen, etc. Regardless of how calculated this is, it's brilliant marketing and should be in the framebuilders' textbook on how to create your own demand. None of this should detract from his sincerity, or the quality of his work, which apparently holds its own. Chapeau, Sacha.

davyt
04-14-2008, 11:57 AM
My vote for the newest ugliest thing comes from Carrera Podium. But they are also among the very very very few, along with Colnago and Derosa, who still build a perfectly wonderful, normal looking lugged steel bike (their Volans). This current thing wins my vote for Abominations: Recent Space Age Improvements Nonsense...Bikes like this claim to ride better than others. No such claims are made by any fancy luggers. Integrity is not the same as taste.

dbrk
Douglas,

I am shocked--shocked, I tell you--that this offends an aesthete such as yourself!

http://redroseimports.com/carrera_images/Carrera_hirez/carrera_phibra_side.jpg

You have to give credit where it's due to some of the most distinctive names in the industry: the aforementioned Phibra, Frisco, Gills and my personal favorite, Mamayama. If only you owned one, I would love to be able to ask, "Can I ride your Mamayama?"
--
Davy

Dave B
04-14-2008, 12:06 PM
stevep,

I like how you put on the rusty parts to match the frame. I had never thought of that. well, good on ya mate.

Acotts
04-14-2008, 12:22 PM
stevep,

+1 on the bar tape selection. I am thinking about doing the same thing for the single speed. I hear that 08 Pegs are going to have the same derelict-chic going for it.

As for the comments on the paint scheme, just remember this:
"Moisture is the essence of wetness, and wetness is the essence of beauty."

What do you think about the paint job now, haters?

swoop
04-14-2008, 01:26 PM
+1 on the bar tape selection. I am thinking about doing the same thing for the single speed. I hear that 08 Pegs are going to have the same derelict-chic going for it.

As for the comments on the paint scheme, just remember this:
"Moisture is the essence of wetness, and wetness is the essence of beauty."

What do you think about the paint job now, haters?

i think little lord fontleroy's bike is ready.

Dekonick
04-14-2008, 01:31 PM
and a mirror.

Y'all are just plain mean.

J.Greene
04-14-2008, 01:38 PM

Website, posters, Speedvagen, etc. Regardless of how calculated this is, it's brilliant marketing and should be in the framebuilders' textbook on how to create your own demand. None of this should detract from his sincerity, or the quality of his work, which apparently holds its own. Chapeau, Sacha.

I get the sense from talking with him exactly twice, that he is sincere about what he does. I don't think what Sacha has is the type of thing that can be learned in a textbook. I think it is rare for such a young artist to have the complete sense of style he does. He is unique, and that is what sells atmo.

JG

stevep
04-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Brian Baylis is an artist and a darn good framebuilder. I'm sure that Van Gogh was criticized in his lifetime as wel

lou, come on..you like what you like..its a forum.

van gogh and this guy in the same sentence?
really?
not michaelangelo? davinci?

Fixed
04-14-2008, 01:39 PM
bro i dig this one imho
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/images/USA/Baylis/shop_tour_05/photos/photo4.html
cheers

victoryfactory
04-14-2008, 01:43 PM
I don't know Mr Baylis but based on what I see on line, he is a very talented
steel builder who goes way back to the early '70's.
It's obvious that the bike pictured at the beginning of this thread is some
sort of over the top homage to Hetchins, but he also makes other
"normal" looking stuff as well.

I don't get all the negative comments in his direction. He's been building
frames since before some of you punks were born.

Maybe he's on somebody's enemy list

VF, I'm probably on somebody's enemy list too.....

roman meal
04-14-2008, 01:45 PM
How many have you seen in person?

Or are we talking about your great big virtual cyclops eye?

For the record, I've never seen a Baylis frame in person that didn't impress me. Favorably, that is.

I've seen the ones at the Cirque. Impressive, but aesthetically unpleasing, you can have both.

roman meal
04-14-2008, 01:46 PM
I don't know Mr Baylis but based on what I see on line, he is a very talented
steel builder who goes way back to the early '70's.
It's obvious that the bike pictured at the beginning of this thread is some
sort of over the top homage to Hetchins, but he also makes other
"normal" looking stuff as well.

I don't get all the negative comments in his direction. He's been building
frames since before some of you punks were born.

Maybe he's on somebody's enemy list

VF, I'm probably on somebody's enemy list too.....

Do you buy just the frame, or does the person have to be a nice person, too? I mean, I've not met these folks, but i've heard that Bruce Gordon has a tendency to be less than welcoming on occasion. How much can folks put a aside for b? I'm not saying the person has to be best friend, or candy- sincere, but what are the limits?

swoop
04-14-2008, 01:49 PM

it think its just an extension of the work. you don't make a brand off a few posters and an under utilized website. there's a zeitgeist involved...
i noticed the other day waiting for friends at a mall.. i don't go to malls... "i don't eat mcdonalds, why would i want a mcdonadls bike?" he's just a guy that's walked into something in a genuine way at the right time.
as a designer of things i appreciated what i saw in and under the paint...
but you know, if you make something, part of the process means showing it to people.

i just don't understand the critique. a guy making something for 8 years isn't a guy making something for 30 years. all i see is deference to the masters.... and not many claims except for a desire for the bikes to be ridden. its just a different way into the same gestalt.

the difference i see is sacha is using a material that's (wrongly) considered a relic while the masters are using a material that was cutting edge when they started with it and have just continued to deepen that relationship. the energy comes from a young guy choosing a marginalized material and seeing at is new and credible (which is against popular marketing).

if sachs were 19 today and started building.. would he do it in steel or carbon?

(with all deference to nick crumpton... who i see as an extension of the sachs lineage but working in carbon)

big shanty
04-14-2008, 02:17 PM
One who cites Vanillas as exemplars of ostentatious bling demonstrates pretty simple thinking. They are more about editing and sound, tasteful decisions than they are about showing off. Saying that you could put a Vanilla logo on a turd and sell it is such faulty logic. People want Vanillas precisely because they represent something that Sacha feels is good enough to serve as a public representation of himself. Offhandedly attributing Vanilla's success to genius marketing is likewise simple (although being a marketing genius certainly doesn't hurt!).

I like the Baylis frame....and I dig some of his unconventional color combinations (esp. Lou's hot salmon). His blue primered frame at NAHBS was solid. I get the sense from the internet that he has a lot of old bones to pick and rubs some people the wrong way, but at least he's come around the concept of email and the "internet", so that's progress. I appreciate his bikes as objects...they are cool to admire from afar.

R2D2
04-14-2008, 02:45 PM
bro i dig this one imho
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/images/USA/Baylis/shop_tour_05/photos/photo4.html
cheers

Brain is an ex Cali Masi builder. Maybe he had a hand it.

goonster
04-14-2008, 02:51 PM
it think its just an extension of the work. you don't make a brand off a few posters and an under utilized website. there's a zeitgeist involved...

I agree, but for the appeal to spread the zeitgeist and the vibe has to be communicated and projected beyond your immediate neighborhood. Sacha has somehow managed to do that, perhaps even in a way that isn't completely intentional or easily quantifiable. Again, this should not, in any way, be interpreted as a detraction of the substance of his work.

gdw
04-14-2008, 02:51 PM
The original poster is trolling and most likely one of the usual suspects posting under one of their numerous ID's. Sad, pathetic, and spineless. Please keep the the petty BS over at Bikelist and spare us the juvenile sniping. :butt:

J.Greene
04-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Brain is an ex Cali Masi builder. Maybe he had a hand it.

He had a complete hand in that. That frame is not a Masi. It's a Masi replica. Very nicely done too.

JG

Reg Pither
04-14-2008, 03:24 PM
gdw,

Thank you for the referral to bikelist! I see that Mr. Buylass posts on the framebuilder forum, and I can learn more about his technique and philosophy directly from his posts.

For example, he wants to know how many framebuilders like Ice Cream, and what flavor of ice cream framebuilders like best.

This is interesting and give me insights.

shinomaster
04-14-2008, 03:27 PM
I saw a Gorgeous Baylis at the NAHMBS. I think it won best paint.

fiamme red
04-14-2008, 03:29 PM
I saw a Gorgeous Baylis at the NAHMBS. I think it won best paint.This one?

http://alexandchristine.smugmug.com/photos/252364575_TjHyC-L.jpg

http://www.krinkle.net/gallery/d/35482-2/Baylis-002.jpg

97CSI
04-14-2008, 03:31 PM
That is well done. Like a properly painted & restored Victorian house.

RudAwkning
04-14-2008, 03:49 PM

The track bike behind it was even better. Had the full deck in the headlugs. C Record build. I'd have bought it if it were in my size.

And for the record, the reason I come to this forum is for lack of trolling and baiting.

Trollers are sackless twits.

confente
04-14-2008, 03:53 PM
This whole thread reminds me of what I hated about High School. :crap:

flux
04-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Confente wrote:
"Reg Pither is a putz.
This whole thread reminds me of what I hated about High School."

I think Reg Pither is a true admirer of a genius at work.

:confused:

I don't understand these "mean" comments either.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

confente
04-14-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm always surprised and disappointed when people can't see when they're being mean. Shows me how out of touch they are, Flux.

flux
04-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Bite me.

confente
04-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Whatever, Flux. Why all the anger???

shinomaster
04-14-2008, 05:16 PM
This one?

http://alexandchristine.smugmug.com/photos/252364575_TjHyC-L.jpg

http://www.krinkle.net/gallery/d/35482-2/Baylis-002.jpg

I really thought that frame with handsome.

RudAwkning
04-14-2008, 05:45 PM

Did you see the unpainted frame right next to it? That was a frame that Baylis made for Mr. Pacenti I believe.

michael white
04-14-2008, 06:24 PM

fabulously classy; just a touch of the English Harlequin-style . . .

RudAwkning
04-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Did you see the unpainted frame right next to it? That was a frame that Baylis made for Mr. Pacenti I believe.

Here's a shot of the seat cluster on the Baylis built bike for Kirk Pacenti. I'll dig up more when I can.

BTW, that was gold leaf that he used on that award winning NAHBS paintjob. Pretty cool.

Reg Pither
04-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Someone from the Serotta Forum named "cnighbor1" is offering to sell me a Richard Sachs frame, although cnighbor1 says it isn't cheap.

Are Bayless frames cheap?
How do Bayless frames compare to Saches frames?
Are they as elaborate and striking?

roman meal
04-14-2008, 07:01 PM
fabulously classy; just a touch of the English Harlequin-style . . .

Like "The Yeomen of the Guard", by Gilbert and Sullivan. I remember when Steve Pucci and I starred in that back in King's College.. He said his beefeater outfit was, well, a babe magnet that night. Smashing!

Louis
04-14-2008, 07:03 PM
a Richard Sachs frame

Who's he? Some johnny-come-lately? Never heard of him. Does he TIG-weld ultralight aluminum frames? That would be pretty cool.

roman meal
04-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Are they as elaborate and striking?

You bet, son.

roman meal
04-14-2008, 07:08 PM

It reminds me of that frothy, baudy romp we had with Grant McLean and the Toronto opera, in The Gondoliers. Gilbert and George were taking the piss that night!

fiamme red
04-14-2008, 07:09 PM
http://istanbultea.typepad.com/./photos/uncategorized/8_2.jpg

roman meal
04-14-2008, 07:11 PM
http://istanbultea.typepad.com/./photos/uncategorized/8_2.jpg

Exactly! The salmon hue matched our scarves to the nines!

Dr. Doofus
04-14-2008, 07:20 PM
i dig these bikes

they somehow capture the doddering eroticism of old womens' underwear

Dr. Doofus
04-14-2008, 07:25 PM
does he sell promotional t-shirts?

or

promotional knickers and matching suspenders?

either way

I want a set

roman meal
04-14-2008, 07:33 PM
does he sell promotional t-shirts?

or

promotional knickers and matching suspenders?

either way

I want a set

atmo.

Dr. Doofus
04-14-2008, 07:34 PM
atmo.

only if the carbon fiber sporran is lighter, stiffer, and more compliant

roman meal
04-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Thar reminds me of my first gander at a Baylis frame, when I was playing the lead in "Gigi"... I truly planed that night.

Dr. Doofus
04-14-2008, 07:49 PM
indeed

each time I see one of these, I hear this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBc8ZjrSPOI&feature=related

Lifelover
04-14-2008, 07:51 PM

This is the strangest thread I've think I've seen on this forum. My guess would be that these guys either think Baylis has a history of shilling or (and more likely) Mr. Baylis has had a disputemo with onemo of the buildersmo that sitmo at the head mo of the lunchmo tablemo.

But Imo don't really knowmo.

Just sayin, Conjecture and ATMO

maryluke
04-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Me too. I would love to have that decked out with new record.

Louis
04-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Lunch tables notwithstanding, you have to admit that the frames have a look all of their own (I might call it weirdness) that might cause folks to react to them in a negative fashion. I'm usually open to difference, but it this case they strike me as kind of wacky, and from the very first post I think we all knew where this thread was going to go. In fact, we've been there before when this has come up.

Edit: Plus, the engineer in me tells me that you do not attach seat stays in the middle of a top tube. Does not make sense. I'm pretty sure I know why it was done (suspension) but there are better, more efficient, more elegant ways to do this.

michael white
04-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Well, if anyone does figure out what is going on here, please clue the rest in, because up to now I'm not sure if it's funny haha or funny peculiar . . .

(That last phrase ie borrowed from J.D. Salinger, a writer I consider neither especially manly nor unmanly.)

DarrenCT
04-14-2008, 08:12 PM

u must have been drunk. arent colors supposed to match?

flux
04-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Whatever, Flux. Why all the anger???

Who are you to say I am "out of touch". Is that like a so-cal thing bro?

Relax. I'm just bitter and cynical because I am from New England and a Virgo. I mean no harm and love all of you very much. True story.

Even you Bryan Buyless.

Lifelover
04-14-2008, 08:33 PM
I was cruising the web for builders as I thought about my next bike. I came across this site (http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Baylis_main.htm). This is hosted by the Classics Rendezvous folks, a real class act, imho.

This guy's frames are amazing. They combine classical lugwork with the best paint I've had the pleasure of viewing. Amazing, innovative suspension built into one frame, sort of like the DKS or Kirk Terraplane.

Wow, this is what a steel bike frame is all about.

Does anyone have any more information about Bryan Bayless? Thanks!!!

The only problem I see with it is that it will require a shorter frame pump.

Do you know where I can find one Reg Pither

flickwet
04-14-2008, 08:35 PM
My dear Mr. Pither. Those "terminals" of which you speak are called ferrules. The ferrules serve the same purpose as those on a fishing rod which allows the bicycle to be disassembled into its component parts for travel. I have observed these on nearly all of the bicycles pictured on this forum. My own bicycle has them but apparently from lack of use they appear frozen. I know that next time I purchase a bicycle with ferrules i will rub the male ends on the side of my nose to prevent the ferrule from becoming stuck. This works quite well on my angling rod and expedites the take down upon my retirement of a fine days piscatorial delight. Lastly I have discovered the large orange flag and associated fiberglass pole which you in your reckless disregard for safety had removed from your Carlton.

Fixed
04-14-2008, 08:37 PM
bro i don'y know how they ride but some of those track bikes are as nice as any i have seen imho
:beer:
cheers

confente
04-15-2008, 01:04 AM
Who are you to say I am "out of touch". Is that like a so-cal thing bro?

Relax. I'm just bitter and cynical because I am from New England and a Virgo. I mean no harm and love all of you very much. True story.

Even you Bryan Buyless.

Oh, I get it now. When you say "Bite Me" it is meant with all the love and the caring thing. Thanks Flax!

Bite Me :D

flux
04-15-2008, 06:15 AM
Oh, I get it now. When you say "Bite Me" it is meant with all the love and the caring thing. Thanks Flax!

Bite Me :D

Anytime confetti.

Surfs up brah!

nexusheli
04-15-2008, 09:04 AM
I don't think anyone has decried Mr. Baylissssss' frame building prowess. So the people defending him as a competent builder are defending against nothing.

I think the claim made was that this original creme de menthe frame pictured in the beginning of the thread was ugly.

I must concur.

It takes a certain amount of artistry to be able to build a beautiful bicycle before it's painted. Baylis has that amount of artistry. But to slap paint on it and make it look good, that takes a little bit of genius and possibly a touch of madness.

And a lack of color-blindness. :cool:

He's missing one of those 3 things, and I'm thinking it's not the madness...

e-RICHIE
04-15-2008, 09:10 AM
brokers make money.
firms make money.
two out of three ain't bad atmo.

J.Greene
04-15-2008, 09:21 AM
brokers make money.
firms make money.
two out of three ain't bad atmo.

it aint easy being greene

JG

BumpyintheBurgh
04-15-2008, 05:36 PM
i dig these bikes

they somehow capture the doddering eroticism of old womens' underwear

You got me to laugh......you are a sick man Doofus. Anyone whose mind can combine the color of a bike...eroticism and old women's underwear in one sentence is not bad, just sick. Take that as a compliment.

rphetteplace
04-15-2008, 06:03 PM
dude as far as bike building skills Mr. Bayliss would put an ass whooping on anybody from Portland and most from New England even if he is an ornry oompa loompa.

RudAwkning
04-15-2008, 07:04 PM
dude as far as bike building skills Mr. Bayliss would put an ass whooping on anybody from Portland and most from New England even if he is an ornry oompa loompa.

And regardless of his color choices, he'd put an ass whooping on most painters as well. He may be ornry, but goddam that guy can build a helluva frame, fork (you'd be surprised how many framebuilders can't even do this), and paint to a level that most custom paint shops can't match.

Bruce Gordon, Brian Baylis.....hell even Albert Eisentraut is a grumpy, old curmudgeon. I wonder if they had stars in their eyes in their earlier days, like todays youthful builders. And I wonder what Sacha will be like in 30 years :p

And IMHO, many of the Serotta board's much revered Pegoretti's look like they were shat on by a retarded leprachaun (And that's not to say they don't ride great). To each their own :D

flux
04-15-2008, 07:07 PM
To each their own :D

got that part right.

taylorj
04-15-2008, 07:17 PM
got that part right.

Big Mig! Sigh. My favorite rider ever. Is that a pegoretti built pinarello? Thanks for posting that picture.

flux
04-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Big Mig! Sigh. My favorite rider ever. Is that a pegoretti built pinarello? Thanks for posting that picture.

Most likely. and. Your welcome.

I would post a pic of Mario riding a peg but all I could find were hair shots with flourescent briko shades in the mix.

RudAwkning
04-15-2008, 07:27 PM
got that part right.

Did you photoshop that? I could have sworn that this was the bike he was riding :D

And for the record, I've owned a Pegoretti designed (perhaps even built) 1998 Pinarello Radius. I recently sold it to fund my David Kirk project.

flux
04-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Did you photoshop that? I could have sworn that this was the bike he was riding :D

And for the record, I've owned a Pegoretti designed (perhaps even built) 1998 Pinarello Radius. I recently sold it to fund my David Kirk project.

That's my fave peg paint job. Good eye.

Fixed
04-15-2008, 07:40 PM
bro i like that a lot
cheers

kipjac
04-15-2008, 07:54 PM
i noticed the other day waiting for friends at a mall.. i don't go to malls... "i don't eat mcdonalds, why would i want a mcdonadls bike?" he's just a guy that's walked into something in a genuine way at the right time.
as a designer of things i appreciated what i saw in and under the paint...
but you know, if you make something, part of the process means showing it to people.

i just don't understand the critique. a guy making something for 8 years isn't a guy making something for 30 years. all i see is deference to the masters.... and not many claims except for a desire for the bikes to be ridden. its just a different way into the same gestalt.

the difference i see is sacha is using a material that's (wrongly) considered a relic while the masters are using a material that was cutting edge when they started with it and have just continued to deepen that relationship. the energy comes from a young guy choosing a marginalized material and seeing at is new and credible (which is against popular marketing).

if sachs were 19 today and started building.. would he do it in steel or carbon?

(with all deference to nick crumpton... who i see as an extension of the sachs lineage but working in carbon)

YAY, CRUMPTON!!

swoop
04-15-2008, 10:51 PM
YAY, CRUMPTON!!

indeed!

habitué
04-16-2008, 12:33 AM
I do love a toasted crumpton!