PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Record Hub Service

saab2000
04-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Alrighty then. So my bike here at my bro's house in Washington DC should finally get some hub service. I don't have many tools here, but I have heard that the current model hubs don't need many.

I have never done one of these hubs and was looking for tips. I may go to Revolution Cycles tomorrow looking for grease and a grease injector.

Can I do this without removing the cassette?

I have heard that these are easy.

97CSI
04-13-2008, 08:55 PM
If you want to do it right you will be doing more than injecting grease into the little hole in the center of the hub. Need to pull them apart and clean out ALL of the dirt/dirty grease and get everything as clean as a new and check the races/balls (most likely just fine unless you are feeling something when you turn the wheel slowly by hand). Cleanliness is definitely next to godliness when repacking and assembling. Personally, I like PW's green grease. Here is what Campy has to say about it. http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/7225312_RECORD_Hubs_0407.pdf. BTW - the one Campy part that is inexpensive is the ball. Think they are $0.15, each. About $4/wheel for a new set (both sides).

As an aside, during our hilly ride yesterday another 220 pounder and I did several 'roll-offs' (starting at the same speed at the top of the hill and coasting down). He was on 32-spoke DA with CX rims and I on Record 28/32 hubs with OP rims. both with Conti tires. I beat him every time. On one fairly long descent I hit 41 and he only got to 36. I had not riden in the hills with him before, but he stated that this was the first time he had been beaten at same. He is looking for a set of Record hubs. :) My guess is that his wheels (if that was the cause) could use a good going over.

M.Sommers
04-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Dude, do what you want. My record hubs, I leave them under my pillow once every two years and the Campy Fairy fixes everything.

Christ
04-13-2008, 09:01 PM
My record hubs, I leave them under my pillow once every two years and the Campy Fairy fixes everything.

Yo punk,that is an angel I send down to take care of your poor hygiene.

M.Sommers
04-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Yo punk,that is an angel I send down to take care of your poor hygiene.

Jesus? Is it really you? You were the first hippy cult leader, hygiene wasn't your speciality atmo.