PDA

View Full Version : Coming back from illness

kgreene10
04-13-2008, 07:00 PM
I was off the bike for five weeks due to a nasty cold, turned sinus infection, turned...well, you don't want to know.

Any advice about how to best get back to my former level of cycling "glory"?

My first week back in the saddle has been a train wreck. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy-as-can-be to be riding again, but my HR is about 15 beats higher than it should be and I blow up at 20 beats lower than I used to. As you can imagine, this makes my performance and endurance pretty pathetic at the moment.

J.Greene
04-13-2008, 07:05 PM
I was off the bike for five weeks due to a nasty cold, turned sinus infection, turned...well, you don't want to know.

Any advice about how to best get back to my former level of cycling "glory"?

My first week back in the saddle has been a train wreck. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy-as-can-be to be riding again, but my HR is about 15 beats higher than it should be and I blow up at 20 beats lower than I used to. As you can imagine, this makes my performance and endurance pretty pathetic at the moment.

Base miles. Then add some intensity. That's my perscription, but I know nothing.

JG

A.L.Breguet
04-13-2008, 07:09 PM
+1 on base miles for a couple weeks. Just ride and don't worry too much about heart rate, speed,... There is a definite tendency to over do it with too much too soon after a layoff.

M.Sommers
04-13-2008, 07:12 PM
Ride.
Don't overthink this thing, count etc.
Just ride. Get your baseline as said above, then you can count stuff. Your body will figure it all out. Just give it the work.

mikki
04-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Hi KGreene:

I can relate to the sluggishness aftermath of sickness. I was ill for three weeks (acute bronchitis & total laryngitis) and didn't ride for FIVE WEEKS. I think I fried my brain with a temperature of 104 degrees for nine days accompanied by a migraine).

Was riding with some pretty fast dudes right before my illness; now? I am in the back of the pack suffering with the fat & old cyclists! (who I am learning are pretty fun) Furthermore, that is all I can do; it's really weird, isn't it?

Hope you are well on the mend.

Sandy
04-14-2008, 12:29 AM
Do what e-RICHIE suggested that I do, but have not as I am doing no cycling now- Go out every day and spin and spin and spin at a high cadence for 70 minutes. It will get you in great cardio shape, will help with pedal stroke, will get you back on the saddle, and will not injure you by pushing gears that are too large. Be disciplined ( I am not). Do it for a few weeks (maybe a day or two off) and then start to increase gear size some. Don't worry that you can't keep up with folks that you could before. In fact you can do the spinning all by yourself.

Sandy

I think that Ti Design's approach using the trainer is excellent but you are talking about being on the bike outside I am sure.

stevep
04-14-2008, 05:21 AM
put duct tape over the face of your hr monitor and speedometer and even your gps if you have one.
just go and ride as much as you can.

capybaras
04-14-2008, 07:10 AM
put duct tape over the face ....
just go and ride as much as you can.

He said he had sinus problems. If he covers his face with duct tape he might die. I agree that it will help his lung capacity and raise his hemocrit, but these are advanced techniques to be done under a doctor's care. These are not for coming back from an illness. :no:

kgreene10
04-14-2008, 11:11 AM
I noticed marked improvement this weekend -- that six year old across the street with training wheels didn't know what hit him. I flew like a (demented, one-winged, pretty near dead) bat out of hell. I hammered up a hill with all the power of the pros on the Tour of Flanders, when they were walking.

Instead of having a long recovery time, I think I have decided to dramatically lower expectations.

J.Greene
04-14-2008, 11:32 AM
I have decided to dramatically lower expectations.

It aint easy being greene.

JG