PDA

View Full Version : My 1st and soon to be only serotta

jimcav
04-13-2008, 04:20 PM
obviously been thinking alot about bikes, despite having some great current (2005 or more recent), I can't bring myself to part with my 1st serotta. Got it just before i graduated, actually has very little use, as i don't get home much anymore. But it is there for when i do. When i've gone home on leave the last 16 years, i've never had to adjust the shifting, and only had to replace the tires once--slight dry rot. anyone else have a bike that they refuse to part with, even if maybe they should?

jim

gone
04-13-2008, 04:56 PM
I had S&S couplers put on mine 3 years ago and since then it's been to Europe a number of times and I did RAGBRAI+ (rode to the start from Des Moines, did 100 miles each day and road back to Des Moines) on it and ride it regularly.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/ghsmith54/DSCN1465.jpg

Don't ever see myself selling it. It's starting to show a lot of travel related wear so I'll probably get it repainted in a few years.

TACSTS
04-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I've got a DeBernardi that I got from Gary Hobbs as my first road bike that I wouldn't part with.

I was a sophomore in high school. Since I didn't have a license yet I would ride it ~20 miles to my girlfriends house and 20miles back whenever I wanted to see her. I got quite fit!

Anyhow, it's got a few scratches and chips in the paint, doesn't fit me as good anymore, but I still keep it around. I take it out at least a couple times a season for old times sake.

FYI - still have the bike AND the girlfriend! :D

thugly
04-13-2008, 05:56 PM
I've kind of purchased myself into some corners. Picked up some Capital C Classics from friends and acquaintances that I would have a very hard time trading or selling - 1968 Pogliaghi Pista, Mid-late 60s Cinelli Pista, 80s Rossin SLX, 91 Bottecchia Equipe SLX, and a 1972 Mariposa rando.

My other bikes (Samson track, Nobilette cross, 1997 Serotta Atlanta, Team Chance xc bike, the winter beater) get ridden more often and see more bad weather, and they're pretty nice bikes themselves, so I'd have a hard time parting with any of them. Can't lose flexibility, can I?

I've got problems

jimcav
04-13-2008, 07:01 PM
It's starting to show a lot of travel related wear so I'll probably get it repainted in a few years.

i never have seen another on the roads. last time i was home, i had to turn back where they had the road torn up to re-do a water main--i dismounted to see if i could walk across the area. one of the crew mentioned not knowing coors made bikes--so i told him about serotta and the coors team and the bike being from 1992. he only commented--"well it looks new"

anyone know the paint names/codes in case i need matching touch up or repaint one day?
jim