PDA

View Full Version : splicing butyl tubes..

tbushnel
04-12-2008, 08:47 PM
I haven't yet exhausted my list of stupid questions, but this is almost it. :p
I was under the impression that you can not easily splice a butyl tube. Can anyone confirm or refute this?
Thanks,
ted.

dvs cycles
04-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Why would you. A knot works just fine.

tbushnel
04-13-2008, 01:43 PM
kinda a bumpy ride. I bet that is the only way I will be able to do it though.
ted.

Too Tall
04-13-2008, 02:47 PM
I was under the impression that you can not easily splice a butyl tube. Can anyone confirm or refute this?
Thanks,
ted.
If memory serves me butyl (normal) tubes are very repairable. You question is about splicing right? What the heck are you splicing?

Louis
04-13-2008, 02:57 PM
What the heck are you splicing?

Tube for a 1400C wheel?

davids
04-13-2008, 02:59 PM
???

I don't even patch mine. My time is worth more than the tubes are.

palincss
04-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Thanks,
ted.

It is easy to patch butyl tubes. If your tube is cut all the way through, though, it's time to throw it away and get a new tube. If you have the wrong size and need to make it bigger, it's also time to get a new tube. Unless you are misusing the word and mean patch a puncture, I cannot imagine any reason why you would "splice" any bicycle tube, ever.

tbushnel
04-13-2008, 06:23 PM
If memory serves me butyl (normal) tubes are very repairable. You question is about splicing right? What the heck are you splicing?

I have a tubular that didn't survive a large glass debris field - multiple little punctures, and plus the flat tube is stuck together due to sealant stuff. I will likely just replace with a latex tube cause they are easy to splice. I replace tubes by just opening a little bit of the casing and feeding through a cut tube after which I splice it (a la Jobst Brandt). I just can't find a latex tube with a removable valve core which made me wonder if I could just use a butyl tube.

Clearly I have too much time to think about this stuff. Maybe I should shut up and just buy a new tire :) .
ted.

palincss
04-13-2008, 08:46 PM
I have a tubular that didn't survive a large glass debris field - multiple little punctures, and plus the flat tube is stuck together due to sealant stuff. I will likely just replace with a latex tube cause they are easy to splice. I replace tubes by just opening a little bit of the casing and feeding through a cut tube after which I splice it (a la Jobst Brandt). I just can't find a latex tube with a removable valve core which made me wonder if I could just use a butyl tube.

Clearly I have too much time to think about this stuff. Maybe I should shut up and just buy a new tire :) .
ted.

I see. You are referring to this passage:

Splicing the Tube

This procedure works only with latex tubes. Overlap the tube ends so the free end goes about one cm inside the end with the stem. With the tube overlapped, use a toothpick to wipe Pastali rim cement into the interface. The reason this MUST be done in place is that the solvent will curl the rubber into an unmanageable mess if you try this in free space. Carefully glue the entire circumference and press the joint together by pressing the tube flat in opposing directions. Wait a minute and then gently inflate to check the results. More glue can be inserted if necessary if you do not wait too long.

-- http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tubular-repair.html

tbushnel
04-13-2008, 08:51 PM
I see. You are referring to this passage:

Splicing the Tube

This procedure works only with latex tubes. Overlap the tube ends so the free end goes about one cm inside the end with the stem. With the tube overlapped, use a toothpick to wipe Pastali rim cement into the interface. The reason this MUST be done in place is that the solvent will curl the rubber into an unmanageable mess if you try this in free space. Carefully glue the entire circumference and press the joint together by pressing the tube flat in opposing directions. Wait a minute and then gently inflate to check the results. More glue can be inserted if necessary if you do not wait too long.

-- http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tubular-repair.html

technique is a little different, but thats essentially what I am doing. Guess I should have posted that to start with.
thanks. :beer:
ted.

Too Tall
04-14-2008, 07:06 AM
Makes more sense now. Hey good luck with that, appreciate your work. Go for it :)