PDA

View Full Version : Ballan's front dropouts

jthurow
04-12-2008, 10:04 AM
According to cyclingnews.com (http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2008/tech/probikes/index.php?id=/photos/2008/tech/probikes/ballan_lampre_wilierpr08/Alessandro_Ballans_Lampre_Wilier_Paris-Roubaix_Special_front_dropouts), Ballan's fork's "one-off dropouts are actually fitted with a bit of extra material to provide more tire clearance at the crown without resorting to new fork blades." Assuming he's bounced this set-up off a few cobbles before race day, Ballan's must be confident with the set-up. I guess he's more concerned with clearance than the grip of the skewer.

jimi

David Kirk
04-12-2008, 10:35 AM
From my experience stuff like this on Pro bikes is very common. They are very much functional tools that do what they are supposed to do. They also have "features" that no one paying good money would ever accept. Frankly most of us ride nicer looking and better built bikes than most pros do. But it's obviously not a real hinderance to most pros.

Dave

Fivethumbs
04-12-2008, 01:20 PM
I also noticed that the Campagnolo-sponsored bike is running Shimano brakes with the logo removed.

chuckaw
04-12-2008, 01:54 PM
The shimanos are probably the long reach variety. Don't know if campy makes those.

GregL
04-12-2008, 04:21 PM
The shimanos are probably the long reach variety. Don't know if campy makes those.

You are correct sir. It's the "lower end" BR-A550 long reach (http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2008/tech/probikes/index.php?id=/photos/2008/tech/probikes/ballan_lampre_wilierpr08/Alessandro_Ballans_Lampre_Wilier_Paris-Roubaix_Special_brake_mounts) brakes. And check out those funky reversed 'cross chainstays!

Regards,
Greg

jthurow
04-12-2008, 06:04 PM
And check out those funky reversed 'cross chainstays!
I don't get that at all. If you going to us the stays, why not just use the cantis and a front canti fork. Then you don't have to you half ass with the front dropout "extra material".

jimi

giordana93
04-12-2008, 06:15 PM
I believe the clearance is needed for the tire to clear the fork, not the brake; but the rim is moved further away and thus needs longer brake arms. and I don't know about cantilever bosses glued to those carbon forks, eh? much easier to just drop the long reach brakes (and further: no need for the cable hanger yoke thingie)

jthurow
04-12-2008, 06:19 PM
I believe the clearance is needed for the tire to clear the fork, not the brake; but the rim is moved further away and thus needs longer brake arms. and I don't know about cantilever bosses glued to those carbon forks, eh? much easier to just drop the long reach brakes (and further: no need for the cable hanger yoke thingie)I agree about the clearance but why not just go with the canti brake for ultimate mud clearance since it's already there. And why not just use a Cyclocross fork made for cantis...

jimi

giordana93
04-12-2008, 06:24 PM
because it' s not mud clearance he's after; just running a fatter tire for more flat resistance and cushion. the cross fork might work, but you would need the cable hanger as part of the headset, the feel of the brakes would be different too, more grabby and less modulation. wouldn't make much of a difference probably, but just less mod's required.

and, jokingly, the UCI probably said it's illegal!