PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed vs Unconfirmed Private Message Receipts

Frank
04-11-2008, 05:57 PM
I may not understand how these work, so please correct me if I have it wrong.

It looks like you can send someone a PM, they can open and read it, but when it asks them for Confirm Oustanding Receipt they can just click out and not have to mark the PM as read. It then appears to me, as the sender, as if the PM is unread when I look at my confirmed/unconfirmed PM receipts file.

I guess my question is why isn't the PM system set up so that when someone opens a PM it automatically marks the PM as confirmed as received? That way, there would not be any guess work by the sender as to whether or not the recipient opened the PM since the recipient would not have the option of clicking out and the system showing no Confirmed Outstanding Receipt.

shinomaster
04-11-2008, 06:38 PM
That whole business to me is just a bunch of nonsense. I wish they would get rid of that feature.

kbone
04-11-2008, 07:01 PM
It's a privacy thing - some people don't want anyone to know if they have read the PM or not. Personally, I choose not to require a read receipt as a courtesy to the PM recipient as I find the pop-up annoying.

e-RICHIE
04-11-2008, 07:03 PM
It's a privacy thing - some people don't want anyone to know if they have read the PM or not. Personally, I choose not to require a read receipt as a courtesy to the PM recipient as I find the pop-up annoying.
where is the icon to shut it offmo?
i hate the prompt, but have no idea
how to over ride it atmo.

Samster
04-11-2008, 07:19 PM
there is no override atmo.

Frankwurst
04-11-2008, 07:21 PM
I will request a read receipt no more forever. :beer:

shinomaster
04-11-2008, 07:24 PM
It's confusing, making the sender think what he is about to send will be canceled if he clicks the wrong button. Kinda like a trick question.

e-RICHIE
04-11-2008, 07:29 PM
It's confusing, making the sender think what he is about to send will be canceled if he clicks the wrong button. Kinda like a trick question.
that's what i thought.
if you check 'no', i expected the reply or pm to vaporize atmo.

J.Greene
04-11-2008, 07:32 PM
that's what i thought.
if you check 'no', i expected the reply or pm to vaporize atmo.

nope. it still goes

JG

Erik.Lazdins
04-11-2008, 07:32 PM
I have tried to not request a reply but wind up failing!

MarleyMon
04-12-2008, 07:30 AM
... That way, there would not be any guess work by the sender ...
Embrace uncertainty - Its like writing a letter in the old days.
I just figured, since I didn't get a reply,
that my passionate love letters to my college crush were lost in the mail.
Made life easier.

kbone
04-12-2008, 12:12 PM
where is the icon to shut it offmo?
i hate the prompt, but have no idea
how to over ride it atmo.

I haven't found an icon but before you send a PM it prompts you "Request a read receipt" - at that point just hit "Cancel" and it will not require a read receipt of the receiver.

M.Sommers
04-12-2008, 12:12 PM
there is no override atmo.

Khan couldn't find the override button in Star Trek II, cost him dearly. I think there's always an override button, you just have to find the remote control.

:beer: