PDA

View Full Version : Sore Hands

sevencyclist
04-11-2008, 11:47 AM
I have been a mountain biker for most of my riding without hand issues. Recently I have started to put a lot more time into road riding. I am finding that on long windy downhills, I am getting a lot of soreness at the base of my thumbs in the web area. Perhaps from holding on to brake while in the drop bar. Does anyone have similar problem? How do I solve it? Thanks.

thejen12
04-11-2008, 12:27 PM
I am finding that on long windy downhills, I am getting a lot of soreness at the base of my thumbs in the web area. Perhaps from holding on to brake while in the drop bar.
Only thing I can think of is the gloves - have you tried different gloves?

Jenn

Tobias
04-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Are you having to stretch to reach the brake levers thereby putting pressure in that area? If so, a little less reach may help.

shinomaster
04-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Relax your grip.

sevencyclist
04-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Are you having to stretch to reach the brake levers thereby putting pressure in that area? If so, a little less reach may help.

Yes, the pressure is focused in that web area. I have a round bar (non-anatomic), and I thought those would allow my hands to curve naturally.

How do I reduce the reach for the bar to the brakes? Is that the reach spec'd for the bars? I always thought that the distance from bar to the brake lever is fixed by the standard size of the brifter, not by the bar.

I have tried to relax my grip, but after the 3 miles downhill with all the turns, my hands are always sore.

Thanks for the input.

Ken Robb
04-11-2008, 04:28 PM
I think the idea is to adjust your cable tension so you have more slack before the pads hit the rims. This should make it easier for you to keep your fingers on the levers without stretching so far on those descents.