PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Desert Camp Ride Report

znfdl
04-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Well Too Tall is right. If you want to get in shape ride your bike. I am lucky enough to have a loving and understanding wife that let me take a 2 week cycling vacation in Arizona and New Mexico. The support of my wife will let my dream of riding in RAAM come true. During the two weeks, I rode just under 1,400 miles and has put me in great shape.. I can honestly say that Tom Kellogg designed a frame that fits so well, that I did not have any back or neck pains during the two weeks.

Week 1:

On Saturday, I did my own ride around Tucson. Great cycling city, as it has numerous bike lanes. Had an interesting ride, as part of the ride I ran into a cycling team training ride for 2 hours, climbed up 10 miles of Mt. Lemmon and rode through Suguaro National Park for a total of 110 miles.

On Sunday, the group rode from Tucson to Sierra Vista into a steady headwind with lots of climbing for a total of 86 miles. I pulled a group for the first 22 miles and then bade them farewell, when we hit the climb up Old Sonoita Road.

Monday was a climbing day for me, as the group did the Sierra Vista - Bisbee Loop. We had an optional climb up to Coronado Monument, which was a nice steady climb. The next 20 miles was into a stiff headwind, as I was doing 14mph while holding between 225-280 watts. Not my idea of fun. The town of Bisbee is great, as it has an old copper mine, which is a huge hole in the ground and is a fabulous artist community. It also has a nice 5 mile climb up Mule Pass, which I did three times for a good hill repeat climbing workout.

Tuesday: Took a day off and spent time in Bisbee, Az. This is a neat artist community. I bought my wife a metal sculpture and spent time at the bicycle brothel.

Wednesday did the double metric and buried myself. The ride through the fort was quite beautiful. As usual, I had my head down on a particular nice stretch of road and missed a turn. For missing the turn, I had particular nice 14 mile down hill, which in turn was a 14 mile uphill. Well at least it was sunny, windy and 75F. Going through Fort Huchacua, a Special Forces guy on a Harley let me draft him for 4-5 miles at 35mph. I just love a man in a uniform that lets me draft him. I ended up doing a 7:25 double metric, which had lots of climbing and substantial amount of headwinds and tailwinds.

Thursday the group did the Bisbee - Tombstone loop which was 80 miles long. The loop did the Mule Pass the steep side. Well, I can definitely say that Too Tall's power program has helped my climbing, as I climbed the steep side on average 4mph faster than last year. Thanks big guy. I did 3 more hill repeats and imploded on the last ascent. It took me almost 20 miles to recover. I guess 50 miles of climbing in two days can do that to a person.

Friday: The group rode from Sierra Vista to Tucson, which has about 20 miles of downhill. This ride was a welcome relief after a hard week.

Saturday: Recovery Day. I met up with a bunch of friends return that I ride the Mountain Tour with every year. This group is historically much stronger that the riders in the previous week. My friends from Bakersfield, Ca. arrived with an additional 6 friends in tow. Two friends from Minnesota also returned and I roomed with one of them. Several other friends also returned, such as Dan from Sitka, Alaka, Jill from Portland among others.

Week 2: My concentration for this week is to ride a steady fast tempo. The leaving time for the group is a half hour interval. My game for the week was to leave last and see how many riders that I can reel in during the ride. There were 64 riders on the tour.

Day 1: Tucson to Sierra Vista
Hard day, lots of climbing into a head wind. Most of the groups had a 16.7-16.8 mph average, while I came in 16 even. I managed to reel in all but 10 riders

Day 2: Sierra Vista to Douglas
It was a hard day for me as I felt as I was running on empty all day. I did the Mule Pass Climb and then stopped in Bisbee at the Bisbee Coffee Company. After Bisbee, the ride has a really nice downhill (15 miles). To finish the ride I rode an easy tempo to the hotel.

Day 3: Douglas to Lordsburg
Nice day. I had a hard time getting my legs to go for the first 18 or so miles. A group came by and hopped onto the back for 5 miles which awakened my legs. Rest of the day rode solo (but had one wheel sucker) with a fast tempo to complete a sub 5 hour century.

Day 4: Lordsburg to Safford
This day was an initial fast tempo day on fairly flat roads. Climb started at mile 59 at 8% and decreased to 5%. There was a 10 mph head wind on the climb. My legs felt really good and started to ride a fast tempo at 22-23mph for the remainder of the ride. This day, I reeled in the whole group.

Day 5: Safford to Wilcox
Normal riding day 89 miles, extra climb 115 miles. The extra miles were to climb up Mt Graham. Mt Graham is a beautiful 26 mile climb with pitches ranging from 5% to 10%. Was a very nice 2.5 hr climb. The real shock came when I had to do a 12 mile climb up to lunch with a 20 mph headwind.

Day 6: Wilcox to Tombstone
Another century plus day on mostly flat roads, but with a few long 3-5% climbs. During this ride, I got the name metronome, as I pulled a number of people all day. For a 30 mile stretch I maintained a 22-24 mph pace with a cadence between 88 & 92. Have to say I felt really good. This day I reeled in all but 2 riders.

Day 7: Tombstone to Tucson
This ride was very similar to the last day of the previous week. Just rode my own tempo.

Hardlyrob
04-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Wow Znfdl - quite a vacation. Sounds like some wonderful riding, and some beautiful scenery.

Good for you!

Rob

dave1215
04-11-2008, 08:15 AM
awesome trip report! yes, bisbee is a place unto itself. thanks for sharing!

sbornia
04-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Unreal. Nice work! It would be really interesting to hear about your nutrition for the week --- what the heck did you eat and drink on and off the bike to keep going like that?

bumperjohn
04-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the trip report znfdl!

John

Ti Designs
04-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Well Too Tall is right. If you want to get in shape ride your bike. I am lucky enough to have a loving and understanding wife that let me take a 2 week cycling vacation in Arizona and New Mexico.

I don't know about that. Barbara did Desert Tour a couple of years ago and came back in much worse shape - ask anyone who was there.

znfdl
04-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Unreal. Nice work! It would be really interesting to hear about your nutrition for the week --- what the heck did you eat and drink on and off the bike to keep going like that?

I have been refining my nutrition plan over the last couple of years and consists of the following. I exclusively use Hammer Products as they agree with my body.

Normal breakfast

Pre-ride: 5 endurolytes, 1 race cap, 1 anti-fatigue cap

During the ride I consume 24oz of water and 220-250 calories of sustained energy per hour in addition to 3-4 ensurolytes. Every 3 hours I take another race cap and anti-fatigue cap.

Lunch: Cheese sandwich with mayonnaise and plenty of spanish olives.

Post Ride: 4 scoops of recoverite with 3 endurolytes. If I felt that I have gone too calroie deficient during the ride, I have two more scoops of recoverite 1 hour after the ride.

Normal Dinner, with one beer, preferably Fat Tire.

Before Bed: 1 scoop of whey with 12 oz of water and 3 endurolytes.

Too Tall
04-11-2008, 10:31 AM
I love it when a plan comes together :)
You rock, great stuff Stu.

Smiley
04-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Freaking BIONIC znfdl

Ti Designs
04-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Post Ride: 4 scoops of recoverite with 3 endurolytes.

That's not a Ben & Jerry's flavor, is it???

znfdl
04-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Cold stone creamery

sbornia
04-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Stu, thanks for posting your detailed menu. I'm curious about the quantity of Endurolytes you took. Is that typical, or a reflection of warmer weather in AZ? I use them, too, but don't have a good sense of how many to eat, at what time, etc. I'm sure it varies from person to person...but your description made me think that I'm not taking enough of them to get the all the benefits.